What Coach Would You Prefer

VFLinFL

Tennessee In The 850
For the past year I have been more impressed with CBJ as each day passes. I think we have a coach that is getting better each & every day at what he does as a head coach. I'm not a big fan of a coach that sits back & coaches his team in a reclining way. Yes there are coaches that do a phenomenal job coaching that way. However, I am a huge fan of a coach that knows what he is doing & pushes his players everyday the right way to get 100% out of them on a daily basis. No matter what coach Tennessee ever hires I will support him or her 100% because I am a loyal Vol Fan & always will be. This is just the type of coach I prefer. Everybody has the right to there own opinion & I am curious to hear what my fellow VolNation family thinks?

I like what I have seen from Jones. Only a couple of remaining questions for me.

One, can he actually coach from a strategy, game-week, and gameday angle? I never liked Kiffin very much. But I was impressed with what he was able to do against Bama and UF that year. He outcoached and frustrated the two best coaches in the SEC.

Two, how will he manage his staff and choose replacements? A good leader will surround themselves with the "right" people. That may not mean the guys with the best resumes. It may mean people who have not succeeded under other leaders. But the truth is that the success of a leader will always depend on the quality of the people they hire. This was Fulmer's main downfall. He didn't have the right people around him and let personal loyalties get in the way of correcting it. Hopefully, this won't be Jones.

I've told my boss is that my goal is to hire people that I will eventually lose to promotion or else to better opportunities elsewhere. I don't want people who I have to discipline or fire. You inevitably lose people... I'd rather lose them because they're "too good" for the job they're in. It seems that something similar would apply to building a football staff. Yes, you want some continuity... but you also want the kind of people that other programs want to promote.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A good HC delegates to his assistants and holds each one responsible for their performance. Coach Jake needs to show he can develop an SEC level QB. :twocents:

The Bar was very very low after Dooley..Could have hired Tommy Lasorda and would have been a major upgrade. Jones has exceeded my expectation on and off the field. Great energy and plan moving forward.. I don't think Strong or Gundy could have made a biggest splash on the recruiting trail..Jones could sell an Eskimo ICE

I'm amazed at how many arm-chair athletic directors (or athletic supporters?) howled for Will Muschamp but now that he's at Florida and stumbling quickly forget that they were upset he didn't come to UT.

Reactions: 5 people
I like what I have seen from Jones. Only a couple of remaining questions for me.

One, can he actually coach from a strategy, game-week, and gameday angle? I never liked Kiffin very much. But I was impressed with what he was able to do against Bama and UF that year. He outcoached and frustrated the two best coaches in the SEC.Two, how will he manage his staff and choose replacements? A good leader will surround themselves with the "right" people. That may not mean the guys with the best resumes. It may mean people who have not succeeded under other leaders. But the truth is that the success of a leader will always depend on the quality of the people they hire. This was Fulmer's main downfall. He didn't have the right people around him and let personal loyalties get in the way of correcting it. Hopefully, this won't be Jones.

I've told my boss is that my goal is to hire people that I will eventually lose to promotion or else to better opportunities elsewhere. I don't want people who I have to discipline or fire. You inevitably lose people... I'd rather lose them because they're "too good" for the job they're in. It seems that something similar would apply to building a football staff. Yes, you want some continuity... but you also want the kind of people that other programs want to promote.

Kiffen out coached himself in the BAMA game. On our last drive, we were eating up yardage play after play, and then he burns time off the clock to set up the field goal. Field goal is blocked, and we lose.

Reactions: 5 people
The Bar was very very low after Dooley..Could have hired Tommy Lasorda and would have been a major upgrade. Jones has exceeded my expectation on and off the field. Great energy and plan moving forward.. I don't think Strong or Gundy could have made a biggest splash on the recruiting trail..Jones could sell an Eskimo ICE

I reject the bar set by Dooley. The bar should ALWAYS be high. I am far from satisfied by the argument that Jones is "better than Dooley". He can be better than Dooley and still be a profound failure.

Reactions: 6 people
Kiffen out coached himself in the BAMA game. On our last drive, we were eating up yardage play after play, and then he burns time off the clock to set up the field goal. Field goal is blocked, and we lose.

The problem with that assessment is that UT had no business being in that game. It was Saban's most dominant team while at Bama. They went 14-0. Lowly UT gave them their best challenge of the year... at Bama. Talent wise, the mismatch was on par with the '13 teams.

I don't like Kiffin and he has obviously had notable failures since leaving UT... but he and his staff competed well at UT with a pretty spotty roster.

Reactions: 4 people
The problem with that assessment is that UT had no business being in that game. It was Saban's most dominant team while at Bama. They went 14-0. Lowly UT gave them their best challenge of the year... at Bama. Talent wise, the mismatch was on par with the '13 teams.

I don't like Kiffin and he has obviously had notable failures since leaving UT... but he and his staff competed well at UT with a pretty spotty roster.

I agree with everything here. From the Bama game to the Scar game to fixing J Crompton, IMO, Kiffin did the best on the field coaching job between him, Dooley and Butch last year. And it's not close. Hope Butch erases that fact very quickly.

Reactions: 3 people
The Player, The Coach, The Legend. Johnny Majors!!!

no thanks.way to conservitive of a coach for me.fulmer was way better than johnny.and do not say fulmer cost him his job either.we all know johnny did it to himself when he should have took all of 92 off for health issues.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm more than happy with Coach Jones. He's really done a whole lot with this program in just a short amount of time. He's a great recruiter, great motivator, and the players look up to him as a father figure. Give him a few more years and he'll have us competing in the SEC again.

One, can he actually coach from a strategy, game-week, and gameday angle? I never liked Kiffin very much. But I was impressed with what he was able to do against Bama and UF that year. He outcoached and frustrated the two best coaches in the SEC.

I believe he out smarted the old ball coach twice at the end of last years game

Two, how will he manage his staff and choose replacements? A good leader will surround themselves with the "right" people. That may not mean the guys with the best resumes. It may mean people who have not succeeded under other leaders. But the truth is that the success of a leader will always depend on the quality of the people they hire. This was Fulmer's main downfall. He didn't have the right people around him and let personal loyalties get in the way of correcting it. Hopefully, this won't be Jones.

I dont see too many coaches leaving unless they are told to look around, this group is in it to NC

I dont think CBJ has an issue with either way, Its his job to make the coaches under him succussful
:)

Last edited:
I'm amazed at how many arm-chair athletic directors (or athletic supporters?) howled for Will Muschamp but now that he's at Florida and stumbling quickly forget that they were upset he didn't come to UT.

CBJ has proven that he can develop players unlike Muschamp. Just ask former Central Michigan & Cincinnati players.

You cannot be a true VN reader in the off season and not select this guy....come on man!

grudentrophy.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
There were back to back blocked field goals against Alabama at the end of that game. You can blame that on our sorry arse kicker not Kiffen.

VN Store

Back