Butch told the coach "he's done."

NEO

Eat at Joe's
For those who are concerned about Hurd's shoulder or have issues with him shutting his Senior season down I have a little info that I would like to pass along...

1)The shoulder was not as bad as people made it seem. It needed work but it was not the reason he shut his season down

2)He shut his season down because Butch Jones personally called his HS coach and told him "he's done for the season and will not be taking any other snaps. Please do not ask him to play as he will not be."

This info comes from someone as about as close to Hurd as you can get.

The funny thing of this story, and the reason I am relaying it, is because the guy who told me while he stood next to me said it with such inflection that it was almost like "Butch is the man."

I personally think Hurd is going to shock a lot of people his freshman year and be a much bigger impact than some are even thinking.

Reactions: 10 people
971.gif

Reactions: 37 people
For those who are concerned about Hurd's shoulder or have issues with him shutting his Senior season down I have a little info that I would like to pass along...

1)The shoulder was not as bad as people made it seem. It needed work but it was not the reason he shut his season down

2)He shut his season down because Butch Jones personally called his HS coach and told him "he's done for the season and will not be taking any other snaps. Please do not ask him to play as he will not be."

The funny thing of this story, and the reason I am relaying it, is because the guy who told me while he stood next to me said it with such inflection that it was almost like "Butch is the man."

I personally think Hurd is going to shock a lot of people his freshman year and be a much bigger impact than some are even thinking.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this. :hi:

Reactions: 38 people
I feel like Butch doesn't have the authority to give an order like that.

I call shenanigans.

Same here. He may have discussed it with his coach but I'm sure he would be careful as to how he approaches things. Do not want to alienate a HS Coach and pull a Dooley. :)

Reactions: 10 people

I hear Butch also performed Hurd's surgery.

Reactions: 45 people
A guy had a child who moved to Cali. After having kids he moved to Texas. One of his kids moved to Knoxville to attend UT where we met. I've known him for a while. Basically he told me that Butch told Obama to pull soldiers out of Iraq and it was done.

Almost sounded like Butch was "the man"

Reactions: 2 people
I've thought all along that it was pretty convenient.. That he had this season ending I jury in the first game of the season.. I wondered if he wasn't asked to once he got that fifth star (which happened a week before that game).. Him not playing all season kept other coaches off his back, and allowed him not to get a serious injury.. And spend ALOT of time on Tennessee's campus... Just my 2¢

Reactions: 1 person

Wow....did this come from Fox News?

Reactions: 17 people

The shoulder had to be surgically repaired - which is never a great thing. It is now much stronger and more solid than before, but no one wants to tamper with what God made unless they have to.

He shut down his senior season because:

1.) He didn't want to play injured.
2.) He didn't want to risk getting injured worse (shoulder) or risk a new injury due to not being 100% and continuing to play.
3.) He had completed every goal (undefeated state champion, 13 records broken, All American, Mr. Football) that he wanted to on the high school level.
4.) If he played through the injury and then had surgery, he would have missed being able to participate in the Spring.

As for Butch Jones calling his high school coach, I seriously doubt those words were said. What I do know that was said (to the family) is that he supported Jalen in "any decision" that he decided to make.

Jalen chose his future.

Reactions: 21 people
The shoulder had to be surgically repaired - which is never a great thing. It is now much stronger and more solid than before, but no one wants to tamper with what God made unless they have to.

He shut down his senior season because:

1.) He didn't want to play injured.
2.) He didn't want to risk getting injured worse (shoulder) or risk a new injury due to not being 100% and continuing to play.
3.) He had completed every goal (undefeated state champion, 13 records broken, All American, Mr. Football) that he wanted to on the high school level.
4.) If he played through the injury and then had surgery, he would have missed being able to participate in the Spring.

As for Butch Jones calling his high school coach, I seriously doubt those words were said. What I do know that was said (to the family) is that he supported Jalen in "any decision" that he decided to make.

Jalen chose his future.

that's what happened. No coach is going to call a HS coach and tell him a kid is done for the season unless he wants to alienate him forever as far as recruiting goes. (Unless it's Saban, he's probably arrogant enough to do it and Alabama HS coaches are dumb enough to let him get away with it!)

Reactions: 6 people
I call BS ... no way CBJ would jeopardize his program along with separate NCAA & TSSAA investigations which could end up killing Hurd's career on The Hill . The risk/reward ratio is just not worth it, besides something like that always gets out.

Considering this is VN, I am shocked that panic has not broken out from the title of this thread.

"Butch is done?!?!?"
"Butch is leaving!"
"He's no better than Kiffin!"

Reactions: 3 people

Edit remove.

Reactions: 1 person

Butch doesn't have that kind of power. That kind of decision could only have been made by Rod Wilks.

Reactions: 7 people

Obviously you've been talking to an 80 year old lawyer in Knoxville.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back