Football is a War Game

bigslk

I know this thread was started sometime last year, I just couldn't find it. Anyway my wife got me one off eBay. The annotated journals Of General R. R. Neyland
Actually she got me the first print. It's very nice. :hi:

If someone has the first print maybe they can post a picture of it......

Last edited:
A footballer will resort to war analogies just as often as a warrior will resort to football analogies.
In General Neyland, we had both.

For some reason, when I hear football and war compared like this, I think of Kellen Winslow and his "I'm a soldier!" rant after the Vols beat his team in Miami.

Thanks to General Neyland, we have perspective from someone who's seen both sides of the analogy, and is much more qualified to comment than Kellen.

Go over seas and tell me football is war.

The Book, compiled by Kozar, Is titled "Football as a war game." Even if it was titled "Football IS a war game" the point is the same.

It is not correlating that football is war, it is saying that it emulates thoughts and strategies that can be used in war (or vice versa). In that way, football is like chess from a tactical standpoint. Also, Neyland codified into his journals many of the strategic paradigms utilized by military leadership, and that is why his impact is important.

Neyland saw similarities in force deployment, motivation and communication that were prescient. Did you know he singularly developed the idea of putting coaches in the press box and using telephones to communicate what they see to him on the sideline? His offensive schemes were simple squad tactical movements: penetrate the enemy's lines by breaking through a weak point in their defenses with overwhelming force and violence of action.

Many of Neyland's philosophies are seamlessly interchangeable between a game, or boardroom, or even actual war. That is the point of this book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
For some reason, when I hear football and war compared like this, I think of Kellen Winslow and his "I'm a soldier!" rant after the Vols beat his team in Miami.

Thanks to General Neyland, we have perspective from someone who's seen both sides of the analogy, and is much more qualified to comment than Kellen.

Seeing that baby faced bastard say that still makes me laugh..."I don't give a flying you know what about a Vol!" :eek:lol:

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/NASSH_Proceedings/NP1990/NP1990n.pdf

I found this looking to see if there is an ebook out there somewhere. I think it is a preface to the book. I wasn't successful in finding the whole thing though. Anyone know if there is an ebook out there??

I'd love to have a leather bound one but it appears they aren't east to find. Glad you got your hands on one bigslk

The Book, compiled by Kozar, Is titled "Football as a war game." Even if it was titled "Football IS a war game" the point is the same.

It is not correlating that football is war, it is saying that it emulates thoughts and strategies that can be used in war (or vice versa). In that way, football is like chess from a tactical standpoint. Also, Neyland codified into his journals many of the strategic paradigms utilized by military leadership, and that is why his impact is important.

Neyland saw similarities in force deployment, motivation and communication that were prescient. Did you know he singularly developed the idea of putting coaches in the press box and using telephones to communicate what they see to him on the sideline? His offensive schemes were simple squad tactical movements: penetrate the enemy's lines by breaking through a weak point in their defenses with overwhelming force and violence of action.

Many of Neyland's philosophies are seamlessly interchangeable between a game, or boardroom, or even actual war. That is the point of this book.

As a retired general officer, I compliment you on the insight obvious in your post. You have a great perspective.

As a retired general officer, I compliment you on the insight obvious in your post. You have a great perspective.

Thank you, that is quite the compliment.

I tend to wax poetic about Neyland. As a scholarship Army cadet at UT in the late 90's I stood in his shadow. It is important to remember the impact that Neyland had in the proud tradition of the U.T. R.O.T.C. program as well as on the gridiron. There is a long tradition of military excellence at UT, of which Neyland was an integral part.

For every orange clad hero that stood on the field in the stadium that bears his name, there are many others wearing a far more muted color scheme who few will know. I was privileged to learn from the finest military minds and to call some of the greatest men of my generation friends. All of that is due to a less famous program that The General helped organize.

Side note: I bet few know that after West Point, Neyland studied at M.I.T. and also designed a large part of the expansion of one of the most famous and storied stadiums in college football. Every fan of U.T., or of General Neyland, or of the intersection of the military and sports, should read "Neyland: the Gridiron General" by Gilbert.

20140623_133133.jpg

Go Vols, and AIRBORNE, Sir!

Last edited:

I tend to wax poetic about Neyland. As a scholarship Army cadet at UT in the late 90's I stood in his shadow. It is important to remember the impact that Neyland had in the proud tradition of the U.T. R.O.T.C. program as well as on the gridiron. There is a long tradition of military excellence at UT, of which Neyland was an integral part.

For every orange clad hero that stood on the field in the stadium that bears his name, there are many others wearing a far more muted color scheme who few will know. I was privileged to learn from the finest military minds and to call some of the greatest men of my generation friends. All of that is due to a less famous program that The General helped organize.

Side note: I bet few know that after West Point, Neyland studied at M.I.T. and also designed a large part of the expansion of one of the most famous and storied stadiums in college football. Every fan of U.T., or of General Neyland, or of the intersection of the military and sports, should read "Neyland: the Gridiron General" by Gilbert.

HA! I literally just ordered "Neyland: The Gridiron General" after I failed to find anything on the War Game front. Already can't wait for it to get here

HA! I literally just ordered "Neyland: The Gridiron General" after I failed to find anything on the War Game front. Already can't wait for it to get here

You won't be disappointed.

I also suggest "The Big Orange" by Bebb, and his follow-up "Vols: Three Decades of Big Orange football."

View attachment 78716

Thanks for the note. I just live close to Ft. Campbell for the services. I am an Air Force guy. We think it is foolish to jump from planes unless they are aflame.

There is a Facebook page for football as a war game with info on how to order. Or if you are near Knoxville it is on sale at long's Drug Store.

bigslk, the amazon.com page for this volume can be accessed at: Football as a war game: The annotated journals of General R.R. Neyland: Andy Kozar: 9780972674904: Amazon.com: Books. The son of Andy Kozar provided the following contact information: "Football As A Wargame is available to be shipped, payment sent via PayPal. Please send email to akmarketingconsultant@earthlink.net, if interested in purchasing! Also, for Knoxville people, available at Long's Drug Store, west location!

Thank you Hank Peck in all your efforts in helping us get this book in the hands of Tennessee football fans! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Football-As-A-War-Game/137345443024532?ref=hl

Help spreading the word about the availability of the book would be very appreciated" (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...ll-war-game-annotated-journals-general-4.html)!

VN Store

Back