Please gents, this is herb streets opinion and not mine

BeattieFeathers

He was on chattanooga espn radio a few moments ago. Says Tennessee is two years away from being a real contender in the east. Says the over/under is about six but could get to seven wins with bowl win. Says butch needs to find a qb and a tb.
Now, with that said, it doesn't say much for marlin lane, who has somehow become a darling of the masses. Lane has never been healthy and at best is an average tb in this league.....maybe a cut below average. He is a solid substitute and special teams player. Hopefully, Hurd will not struggle and answer the bell, fulfilling the promise predicted by some analysts.
It also doesn't say much for Worley or Dobbs. Personally, I like them both, but I always become concerned when :hi:experts that know more than me, express a different opinion.

Reactions: 4 people
He was on chattanooga espn radio a few moments ago. Says Tennessee is two years away from being a real contender in the east. Says the over/under is about six but could get to seven wins with bowl win. Says butch needs to find a qb and a tb.
Now, with that said, it doesn't say much for marlin lane, who has somehow become a darling of the masses. Lane has never been healthy and at best is an average tb in this league.....maybe a cut below average. He is a solid substitute and special teams player. Hopefully, Hurd will not struggle and answer the bell, fulfilling the promise predicted by some analysts.
It also doesn't say much for Worley or Dobbs. Personally, I like them both, but I always become concerned when :hi:experts that know more than me, express a different opinion.

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. When it comes to Worley/Dobbs and Lane/Hurd, they're questionable until proven reliable. That's why we'll be hard pressed to find many articles instilling much hope in them until the fall.

Reactions: 7 people

Then you need to take notes from the masses on here and declare that Herbstreit is an idiot that doesn't know a damn thing! It's the VN way.

Reactions: 5 people
We have no proven qb and no proven breakaway threat rb. Lane gets injured and the true freshman missed his Sr yr in hs.
Kirk not breaking any news.

Reactions: 14 people
Then you need to take notes from the masses on here and declare that Herbstreit is an idiot that doesn't know a damn thing! It's the VN way.

I like Herbstreit but it's hard to put a lot of stock into what he says, or any national guy for that matter. I know Herby lives in Nashville, but he's still a national guy.

They all just recycle the same info that another national guy reports. Nothing against them, it would be hard to keep up with every team in the country in-depth.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't pay much attention to these preseason rankings. Nobody expected much out of Auburn when they won the NC in 2010, and when they reached the NC last year. It was all.....:worship:
Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba... :worship:

Wasn't it just two years ago that USC started out ranked as No.1 in the country....laden with talent...then about midway through the season, the wheels came off?

They would have laughed if you had said Mizzou and Auburn would play in the SECCG. So, their predictions are usually based on what happened the previous year. But the truth of the matter is, when teams "break out" of the doldrums, it's usually in a dramatic fashion....not this slow, but steady improvement.

Butch Jones Cincinnati team broke out after his first year...so, I'm not worried. Not with the talent coming in.

Reactions: 9 people

Different opinion from whom? Virtually everybody on here has UT pegged at around 6-6 this year, give or take a game to 5-7 or 7-5. Rare is the poster on VN who has UT at 8 or 9 wins and virtually every UT fan I know or know of holds the belief that 2015 is the jumping off point for UT contending for winning the East. Finally, Marlin Lane is not a special teams player. He's a talented, strong runner who hasn't stayed either healthy or emotionally strong enough to get consistent carries.

Again, what exactly is new about what Herbie said?

Reactions: 6 people
It's funny I recall very early in the year Herbstreit was talking like an advocate for UT football. IIRC he said to paraphrase "Look for dramatic improvement in 2014, by 2015 watch out!" Wonder what happened since then to change his mind. Must have been that top 5 recruiting class we landed.

Keep it in the Big 10 Herby. That's your comfort zone.

Reactions: 3 people
Different opinion from whom? Virtually everybody on here has UT pegged at around 6-6 this year, give or take a game to 5-7 or 7-5. Rare is the poster on VN who has UT at 8 or 9 wins and virtually every UT fan I know or know of holds the belief that 2015 is the jumping off point for UT contending for winning the East. Finally, Marlin Lane is not a special teams player. He's a talented, strong runner who hasn't stayed either healthy or emotionally strong enough to get consistent carries.

Again, what exactly is new about what Herbie said?

Not staying healthy is a problem bud. He is fair by ut standards.

I don't pay much attention to these preseason rankings. Nobody expected much out of Auburn when they won the NC in 2010, and when they reached the NC last year. It was all.....:worship:
Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba...Alabubba... :worship:

Wasn't it just two years ago that USC started out ranked as No.1 in the country....laden with talent...then about midway through the season, the wheels came off?

They would have laughed if you had said Mizzou and Auburn would play in the SECCG. So, their predictions are usually based on what happened the previous year. But the truth of the matter is, when teams "break out" of the doldrums, it's usually in a dramatic fashion....not this slow, but steady improvement.

Butch Jones Cincinnati team broke out after his first year...so, I'm not worried. Not with the talent coming in.

Broke out of what? They were OK, but they didn't break out of anything.

Reactions: 2 people
Not staying healthy is a problem bud. He is fair by ut standards.

Also heard he has become a team leader from the coaching staff and the VQ guys this year and is working his tail off to have a good senior year. I would argue that he's a good solid SEC RB when he's on the field as evidenced by his career 5.0 yards per carry average, chief.

Reactions: 5 people
It's funny I recall very early in the year Herbstreit was talking like an advocate for UT football. IIRC he said to paraphrase "Look for dramatic improvement in 2014, by 2015 watch out!" Wonder what happened since then to change his mind. Must have been that top 5 recruiting class we landed.

Herbie gets cred for being at least half ass objective and residing in Tennessee (Nashville) . :yes:

Reactions: 1 person
The sec east is down this year, we have a legit shot at winning some games against ok teams from our side.

No need to read into it....in most cases "analysts" change there tune closer to season starting so as not to be a stand out in there profession and be wrong. Some analyst in preseason predictions(can't remember which)...don't even have Auburn in the top 5.??? really?? It is what it is with the "analysts". We still have to play the game. And what was KH saying before the USCe game? What was the spread? Go Vols.

You can be sure if its a Feather's thread, it will be about: hand wringing, injecting doubt, dark clouds, woe is us, we aren't that good, just look at all the examples I search and produce to prove my point ...in other words from this guy it's SSDD.

Reactions: 6 people

He follows Ohio State, not UT. Lane is and has been better than Neal the last 2 yrs. They may have played the game but they act like they know more than they actually do. If he actually followed UT I might believe him. But he doesnt.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Dobby will be the man. And if you ask me, a "contender in the East" pretty much means perennial top 10 team.

VN Store

Back