Some positive talk regarding Tennessee on the radio this morning

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I'm not sure who he was, but he was a guest on the show that comes on after the Erik Ainge show. He was evaluating the upcoming football season as a whole, including his pics for national championship, SEC champions etc.

Apparently his credibility lies in the fact that he predicts everything using mathematical equations, as opposed to just "here's who I think will win." Anyways he started discussing Tennessee and I really liked the things he had to say, again I don't know who he is, but what he said made a lot of sense. Here are some bullet points:

- he said the scheduling of Oklahoma was absolutely the dumbest move an AD could make. He said it puts your team in a very bad position when you can beat Oklahoma and still have the potential for a 5 win season. Even if Tennessee wins that game the physical beating it will take to go 4 quarters could be detrimental to future SEC play.

- the host replied with "I also don't like the Utah State/ Arky State schedule." He literally laughed and said "It's crazy people are blowing up these games, Tennessee not only can, but will absolutely wipe the floor with both of those teams." He said they just play at a much slower, lower level than Tennessee.

- the host said it feels like Tennessee is in crisis mode, he enthusiastically replied with "No you're not! Not even close!" He went on to say people are severely underestimating the talent we have brought in, and that it's program-changing talent.

- in regards to replacing the lines from last year, he said "I hate to break it to the Tennessee faithful, but your O-line last year was just not very good." He said they were very talented but had (and I quote) "The stink of Dooley on them." Basically just that they knew how to lose, and when it came time to come up big they did just the opposite. He told fans to expect to be pleasantly surprised at what a new, hungry O-line who learns Butch's system from the ground up will do when Butch's on-the-field energy rubs off on them.

- he said anyone who doesn't have Tennessee as their dark horse this year hasn't done their research. And Tennessee has all the makings to be a very, very deadly team and no one will see it coming.

Anyways I wish I knew more about his credibility or who we was, but it was definitely encouraging to hear this kind of talk from an unbiased analyst.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67 people
I also think the OU scheduling was terrible.

I'm all for a home and home against them and I think it will be a fantastic environment in Norman, but dang... Wait until we aren't rebuilding! Lol

Reactions: 3 people
It was a very informative interview. The only thing that I disagreed with was him saying OK could be detrimental to us to go 4Q's with them..

Screw that, it will be detrimental to them to go 4Q's with the Big O!!!!!

Reactions: 9 people
I also think the OU scheduling was terrible.

I'm all for a home and home against them and I think it will be a fantastic environment in Norman, but dang... Wait until we aren't rebuilding! Lol

You realize these games were scheduled back in 2005. UT had just come off an exciting 2004 season and the future looked much brighter than it turned out to be.

Reactions: 12 people
Tennessee is not a dark horse to surprise anybody. Anywhere between 5-7 wins is what we will have.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 32 people
I don't particularly love the Oklahoma game on the road this year either, but it does mean we get to pound them in Neyland in 2015. Should be a nice coming out party for our SEC East run.

Reactions: 9 people
Imagine if we traded OU for a winnable game... we would be sitting pretty right now. But NOOOO we have to play the #1 hardest schedule every single year. It ends up hurting us a lot. We already play Bama.

Reactions: 2 people
Imagine if we traded OU for a winnable game... we would be sitting pretty right now. But NOOOO we have to play the #1 hardest schedule every single year. It ends up hurting us a lot. We already play Bama.

Define sitting pretty. 6-6 isn't pretty. It's barely acceptable at closing time!

Guy sounded like a VOL homer. He has made some good calls in the past, I agree with most of what he said.

Whom are you describing as a "homer," the interviewer or the person interviewed? Dave Bartoo, the person interviewed, published this opinion elsewhere on his website (cfbmatrix.com):

"Tennessee Volunteers. This is a team I have targeted to break out in 2015. The 2014 schedule is tough early and the Vols lose their entire O-Line. Coach Jones was very good at Cincinnati and the recruiting at Tennessee, as expected, has improved immensely. But one good class doesn’t make a turn around. The Volunteers are coming off a 5-7 year and they return only 57% of their offensive statistics and only 51% of their key defensive production. They get 8 home games but the road tilts are all loses. 6-6 is [expected] but it's a stretch to expect +2 game improvement to 7-5. #BrickbyBrick" (Teams rising 2+ games and/or getting to bowl eligible 2014)

Whom are you describing as a "homer," the interviewer or the person interviewed? Dave Bartoo, the person interviewed, published this opinion elsewhere on his website (cfbmatrix.com):

"Tennessee Volunteers. This is a team I have targeted to break out in 2015. The 2014 schedule is tough early and the Vols lose their entire O-Line. Coach Jones was very good at Cincinnati and the recruiting at Tennessee, as expected, has improved immensely. But one good class doesn’t make a turn around. The Volunteers are coming off a 5-7 year and they return only 57% of their offensive statistics and only 51% of their key defensive production. They get 8 home games but the road tilts are all loses. 6-6 is [expected] but it's a stretch to expect +2 game improvement to 7-5. #BrickbyBrick" (Teams rising 2+ games and/or getting to bowl eligible 2014)

Did you listen to the interview ? He was all cheerleader. His interview is in hour 2 of the Hooker podcast 6/5/2014

Last edited:
"including his pics for national championship, SEC champions etc. " So he could see into the future and already had pics of the national champions and SEC champions? Better listen to what he says then. :)

VN Store

Back