Finebaum show

knoxvols11

Don't know how to properly spell his name and that's beside the point. Coming back from my lunch hour he had a guest on and according to him Tn football will not be like it was in the 90's until the coaching of member SEC schools declines. Said the worst thing that could have happened to UT and USC was expansion of SEC.

Don't know how to properly spell his name and that's beside the point. Coming back from my lunch hour he had a guest on and according to him Tn football will not be like it was in the 90's until the coaching of member SEC schools declines. Said the worst thing that could have happened to UT and USC was expansion of SEC.

It will get there again.

Then again though, there is something to be said for how much it was pretty much just UT, UF...and everyone else was at least a tier or more below them in the 90s.

so the SEC is better now than it was in the 90's? Ground breaking stuff from random Finebaum guest

Reactions: 4 people
Worst thing for us was Bredesen appointing left wing political hacks to the UTBOT who then rerouted the UTAD'S surplus to fund ridiculous garbage academic programs that would otherwise have fallen victim to budget cuts. That was the money that would've gotten us A list coaches for the two premiere men's sports. You think Bama, AU, UF, LSU, or even UGA would stand for that? We got hosed and the same people are still calling shots.

Reactions: 29 people
Nearly everything in life seems to run in cycles. Football is no different. It took Bama years and years to emerge from Gene Stallings shadow. Florida is having a tough time since Urban Meyer left. UGA has had very talented teams that somehow always find a way to lose big games. LSU has been very consistent since 2000, but there were lean years in the 90's there as well. UT will be back sooner than later and I see absolutely no way how SEC expansion can be the worst thing to happen to UT. Sportswriters and commentators always need something to get people stirred up and this is "Fine-bum's" way of rattling up a fan base on a May weekday.

Reactions: 3 people
we will be fine in the next few years. Its just easy for ppl to kick us while were down. dont worry about it. that show blows btw.

Reactions: 1 person
Nearly everything in life seems to run in cycles. Football is no different. It took Bama years and years to emerge from Gene Stallings shadow. Florida is having a tough time since Urban Meyer left. UGA has had very talented teams that somehow always find a way to lose big games. LSU has been very consistent since 2000, but there were lean years in the 90's there as well. UT will be back sooner than later and I see absolutely no way how SEC expansion can be the worst thing to happen to UT. Sportswriters and commentators always need something to get people stirred up and this is "Fine-bum's" way of rattling up a fan base on a May weekday.

This ^^^

No team stays down forever, (well except UK, but they've never really been up, so they have been where they have always been at).

Worst thing for us was Bredesen appointing left wing political hacks to the UTBOT who then rerouted the UTAD'S surplus to fund ridiculous garbage academic programs that would otherwise have fallen victim to budget cuts. That was the money that would've gotten us A list coaches for the two premiere men's sports. You think Bama, AU, UF, LSU, or even UGA would stand for that? We got hosed and the same people are still calling shots.

yup. this was clearly the worst thing that happened to us.

:crazy:

Reactions: 6 people
This ^^^

No team stays down forever, (well except UK, but they've never really been up, so they have been where they have always been at).
We've been down for the better part of a decade and it's been over a decade since we were any kind of contender. Ask a long time Ole Miss fan how long a once powerhouse program has to be mired in a cycle of turmoil and unsuccessful rebuilds before they have to just admit that they're a bottom feeder. We're a lot closer to bottom feeder than contender these days with nothing but one good recruiting class to pin our hopes of resurgence on.

yup. this was clearly the worst thing that happened to us.

:crazy:
It's the source of the problem. Those people empowered the chancellor over the president, looted the AD's surplus, tightened the screws on academic admission standards for student athletes, and hired Cheek. All of which have been antithetical to fielding a winning football program.

A university using money for academics.. I sure hope you are joking.. we don't need all that educational ****.. ******n liberals.

Reactions: 13 people

He is partly correct!!! Remember when we recruited well but couldn't get past "O Bama"? Well, once "O Bama" experienced their NCAA issues and a revolving door for coaches, we rose to the top and won.

Once they were off of probation and Saban arrived we lost to them again.

Same with Florida! In past years, Pre-Spurrier, we beat Florida like a drum. Then they rose and we started to lose to them regularly.

We need to get good and sit back in the 3rd or 4th position on the S.E.C. and when the top 2 teams, slip, then we are already in striking distance to reach # 1.

All of the S.E.C. teams have improved in the coaching department since the late 1990's & early 2000's.

In NBA basketball, the Celtics dominated the East. Detroit was in striking distance but couldn't make the jump. Then injuries hit the Celtics and the Pistons passed the Celtics.

The Bulls couldn't get past the Pistons but after two championships, the Bulls finally got past the Pistons to become the "Beast from the East"

The Knicks got past the Bulls during the time that Jordan was playing baseball but once he returned the Knicks fell to 2nd place in the East again.

We just need to improve and sit tight until the top teams slip up with a coaching change, injuries, a lack of recruiting, major losses due to the NFL or NCAA sanctions.

We just need to get within striking distance.

We've been down for the better part of a decade and it's been over a decade since we were any kind of contender. Ask a long time Ole Miss fan how long a once powerhouse program has to be mired in a cycle of turmoil and unsuccessful rebuilds before they have to just admit that they're a bottom feeder. We're a lot closer to bottom feeder than contender these days with nothing but one good recruiting class to pin our hopes of resurgence on.

This is very true. Both Ole Miss and Georgia Tech were super powers. I have often thought that we might have followed them off the cliff. :whatever:

He is partly correct!!! Remember when we recruited well but couldn't get past "O Bama"? Well, once "O Bama" experienced their NCAA issues and a revolving door for coaches, we rose to the top and won.

Once they were off of probation and Saban arrived we lost to them again.

Same with Florida! In past years, Pre-Spurrier, we beat Florida like a drum. Then they rose and we started to lose to them regularly.

We need to get good and sit back in the 3rd or 4th position on the S.E.C. and when the top 2 teams, slip, then we are already in striking distance to reach # 1.

All of the S.E.C. teams have improved in the coaching department since the late 1990's & early 2000's.

In NBA basketball, the Celtics dominated the East. Detroit was in striking distance but couldn't make the jump. Then injuries hit the Celtics and the Pistons passed the Celtics.

The Bulls couldn't get past the Pistons but after two championships, the Bulls finally got past the Pistons to become the "Beast from the East"

The Knicks got past the Bulls during the time that Jordan was playing baseball but once he returned the Knicks fell to 2nd place in the East again.

We just need to improve and sit tight until the top teams slip up with a coaching change, injuries, a lack of recruiting, major losses due to the NFL or NCAA sanctions.

We just need to get within striking distance.

I somewhat agree, but we were not beating Florida like a drum pre Spurrier. Our last win against them was 1971 prior to the 1989 shelacking in Neyland. Prior to 1971 we had beaten them like a drum, just like we did against LSU.

I generally agree with the line of comments about getting within striking distance and there are cycles to most things - UT did that in the 60s (up), 70s (sliding a little), going up again in late 80s and 90s, etc. But when it comes to Finebaum, just remember that he is at best a journalist who knows how to get attention. When he wrote for the UT school paper in the mid-70s (yes, he was a UT student), he was unnecessarily critical and discovered that it is better to be hated by your readership than ignored. He's never forgotten it. Teams like Bama that are winning will listen and eat up the praise, but the way to get a down team's fanbase to listen is to attack and trash. Not everything he says is completely wrong, but if you hate him and still listen, he's won. Sign of a good hack journalist is to find a way to overcome you shortcomings and generate conversation - criticize and create ratings. Don't like him, don't listen.

Last edited:
Do yourself a huge favor. Stop listening to him. He's an enormous douche-nozzle.

Had to check my Funk & Wagnall on this obscure and seldom used term.

Douche Nozzle: (DOOSH NOZ-ZEL) Noun or Verb. Douched. Douchebag. 1. Jet or surge of force into unknown cavity or body organ via small pin headed object or person.

This site appears to be predominately right wing, kinda weird for a football message board. :question:

This is very true. Both Ole Miss and Georgia Tech were super powers. I have often thought that we might have followed them off the cliff. :whatever:

I'll just leave this here:

Colorado_Buffaloes.jpg

Please don't listen to that Wisenheimer. Me, even doing this makes me sick.:compute:
GO VOLS!

Well, I would agree that it is hard to imagine Tennessee being what we were from 1995-2001 as long as Saban is at Alabama but I strongly disagree that we need Richt to leave Georgia or Muschamp to leave Florida to ever beat them consistently...In fact, we are probably better off if Muschamp stays put. Spurrier doesn't have many years left and even in our downturn since 2005 we have beaten him 4 times...so that's not a big deal either. I also don't see how the additions of Missouri and Texas A&M affect Tennessee at all. We don't recruit head to head very often with either one of them or even play Texas A&M on an annual basis.

Uh... Yah... You've figured out the mystery. It was a left wing conspiracy... :good!:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back