Tennessee vs Northwestern 1997 Citrus Bowl

Another Citrus Bowl appearance with a team that was stacked. That was prior to the at large BCS invites. I liked the bowl set up back then.

Another Citrus Bowl appearance with a team that was stacked. That was prior to the at large BCS invites. I liked the bowl set up back then.

Agreed. That team was loaded. I watched the UT/ UF game 2 days ago. Horrible.

UF always seemed to play UT as if UT was the defending national champions and UT played UF as if it were trying to help UF crack the top 5. Year in and year out with rare exceptions - 90, 98, 04, etc.

We don't have much room to talk about kinda-sorta national title games against Nebraska.

Those mid/late 90's Nebraska teams were just insane to watch...Would be interesting to see some of those teams take on the Bama teams from the past few years...

also...Go O's

Reactions: 1 person
Those mid/late 90's Nebraska teams were just insane to watch...Would be interesting to see some of those teams take on the Bama teams from the past few years...

also...Go O's
O!

Here's a 4 team playoff for ya:

Mid 90s Nebraska
Early 00s Miami
Mid 00s USC
Early 10s Alabama

I have no idea who to pick there.

O!

Here's a 4 team playoff for ya:

Mid 90s Nebraska
Early 00s Miami
Mid 00s USC
Early 10s Alabama

I have no idea who to pick there.

Yea...It would be impossible to choose that. It's hard to pick against Saban...but I remember watching those Cornhuskers teams in awe. I still would have loved to see what would have happened if UT made it to the NC in 01 against Miami....sigh

And Cruz is definitely making a statement so far this year...I can't wait to get Manny back, the Defense is struggling.

This was the season we had a young Offensive Line and couldn't run the ball worth a flip...49 rushes for 85 yards at Memphis as I recall...We blew Northwestern off the field in this game, however. They were slow...Listen for the "One more year" chant at the end of this game...Peyton said that really moved him (although he wouldn't announce that he was staying for another two months).

If the comeback had been completed that would have made 1998 look tame. I was broke, intoxicated and did not have my student id and was not allowed in the game. I remember getting home alone in my apartment watching the game and turning it off at halftime. Then I heard the noise and the stadium from across the river and turned it back on for what would have been the best comeback win possible. The on-side kick at the end was perfect too and went right through our hands. Peyton threw for a school in that loss.

VN Store

Back