If you could pick one VFL to play defense now

JohnMarxism

This could be an interesting discussion considering all of the questions on our defense. I chose to limit this discussion to defense only because everyone knows which offensive VFL would be selected to play now(Ainge...jk).

So here it is VolNation. Pick one VFL(considering them in their prime) to play on defense and why you chose that player.

Considering our questions in the secondary, I wouldn't mind having Eric Berry back.

I think this could be a fun thread. Great idea.

I'd have to go with Al Wilson. He just made everyone around him so much better, and he was an absolute animal at rushing the passer. He could single-handedly disrupt even the best offenses.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: 3 people
I am a young Vols fan and there has been a lot of great defensive talent to come through UT.

I would lean towards Jerod Mayo or Eric Berry as the best I have witnessed on defense, and we could use either of them. I would lean towards Eric Berry though. Who can argue against his INT return yardage and all his #'s?

We may have the answer on the team right now, Curt Maggitt and I believe he will male all those around him better. Not saying he is one of the greatest VFL's but I believe he is the game changer we need. It seems like he makes AJ better too.

Reactions: 1 person
Al Wilson. He was a beast on that side of the ball and affected the run and the pass.

Eric Berry would be my next choice because he could change the game in one play.

We need the most help on d-line, so John Henderson or Reggie White.

I would have said Al Wilson but LB will probably be the strength of our defense this year.

Al Wilson. Hands down. The undisputed leader of the defense. I remember seeing an interview with one of the DBs who said the DBs were scared to make a mistake because they didn't want to face Al on the sidelines. He also said a lot of times when he was going for a tackle he was looking for Al in his peripheal vision because he said Al was like a guided missile going for the ball and he didn't care who he took out that was in his way, friend of foe.

Reactions: 3 people
We may have the answer on the team right now, Curt Maggitt and I believe he will male all those around him better. Not saying he is one of the greatest VFL's but I believe he is the game changer we need. It seems like he makes AJ better too.

ESPN agrees with you. I was watching ESPNU yesterday and they picked Maggitt as the most versatile DE in the conference. They say he will be a real game changer this season. If Vereen can come along that will go along way to using having a dominating D.

R. White, A. Wilson, L. Little or E. Berry......I just can't make up my mind. Would love to have them all on the same team.

1. Al Wilson
2. Reggie White
3. John Henderson
4. Eric Berry
5. Steve Kinner

( like a good potato chip, I could not do just one )

( please excuse the spelling of names )

I can't narrow it to one...take any one of the following

1 Andy Spiva- all time leading UT tackler
2 Reggie White - greatest DE in UT history
3 Al Wilson - great LB, great playmaker, even better leader
4 Leonard Little - dynamic playmaker
5 Eric Berry - he's Eric Berry
6- Dale Carter - besides Berry, best college safety I ever saw

VN Store

Back