Are We So Small, We’re Little Big Men?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Was just browsing our depth chart. Which of course isn’t the real thing since the rest of a our stellar recruits haven’t arrived on campus yet. In any case, was looking at our CBs and Ss. I was surprised at how many are just 6 feet and less, plus how light at least one is. Although that 'one' has been reportedly playing bigger than anyone but Sutton. We almost mirror USU’s CBs and Ss in terms of size. Of course our boys go up against the WR giants on our team so get high end practice by playing those guys. And sure, I'm encouraged by reports of their play over spring practices. But I was surprised all the same by what I saw. Any comments?

Our defense is to small. Plus, I've heard our freshman RB was to tall? Just doesn't bode well!!

Reactions: 2 people
Was just browsing our depth chart. Which of course isn’t the real thing since the rest of a our stellar recruits haven’t arrived on campus yet. In any case, was looking at our CBs and Ss. I was surprised at how many are just 6 feet and less, plus how light at least one is. Although that 'one' has been reportedly playing bigger than anyone but Sutton. We almost mirror USU’s CBs and Ss in terms of size. Of course our boys go up against the WR giants on our team so get high end practice by playing those guys. And sure, I'm encouraged by reports of their play over spring practices. But I was surprised all the same by what I saw. Any comments?

If you take a look around at the depth charts throughout the SEC you'll see that our size at DB is not that uncommon.

But if it makes you feel any better, our 4 best WR's average out to be 6-4.

Our defense is to small. Plus, I've heard our freshman RB was to tall? Just doesn't bode well!!

No need to be so snide. Would have been nice if you had
suggested what another poster did, to look around the SEC to see we're rather common size-wise. Didn't think to do that.

I've also wondered if maple wood burns hotter than oak wood. But I suppose only a barbecue master or those M.I.T. fellows would know that.

I am glad that Bucth is bringing in some bigger DBs.

Gaulden, Kelly, McDowell, Griffin and possibly Jennings.

Reactions: 1 person
I am glad that Bucth is bringing in some bigger DBs.

Gaulden, Kelly, McDowell, Griffin and possibly Jennings.

Hmm, I forgot, we do have some high end defense personnel due. The size thing caught my attention mainly because I had been seeing references to how big WRs are getting now. Seems you have to almost be able to fly as well as an F-22 Raptor to contest passes thrown to them. So figured it followed that bigger CBs are needed to stop those Foxtrots.

suggested what another poster did, to look around the SEC to see we're rather common size-wise. Didn't think to do that.

I've also wondered if maple wood burns hotter than oak wood. But I suppose only a barbecue master or those M.I.T. fellows would know that.

When carbon bonds break they give off the same amount of energy no matter the source. This is assuming H2O content is consistent.

IIRC, Moseley has gained 15 lbs already since arriving in January if that's who you are talking about. UT probably won't have a DB see serious PT that does not weigh more than 190 lbs.

Why is it when someone says "size doesn't matter", women always grin, have a funny look on their face or just look down as if not to comment?

Why is it when someone says "size doesn't matter", women always grin, have a funny look on their face or just look down as if not to comment?

BbgL7x3.gif

imo, there are people that can cover and people who can't. having said that, you'd want size if you could have it.

kelvin benjamin abused db's at times because of his size, so it can be a problem.

but, just as there are wr's without blazing speed, but are shifty and can create separation and get open.....there are db's who are recruited or drafted because of their size and do not have the quickness to stick with a wr.

give me a db who can stay with a wr and has good recognition of the ball being in the air and i'll live with everything else.

My dad told me when I was young that the U.S. Gov. Did a study and found out that Fir is the best firewood. I wonder if he was BSin' me?

Last edited:
imo, there are people that can cover and people who can't. having said that, you'd want size if you could have it.

kelvin benjamin abused db's at times because of his size, so it can be a problem.

but, just as there are wr's without blazing speed, but are shifty and can create separation and get open.....there are db's who are recruited or drafted because of their size and do not have the quickness to stick with a wr.

give me a db who can stay with a wr and has good recognition of the ball being in the air and i'll live with everything else.

Can't argue with that. I think Darrel Green was a sort of undersized safety who messed up many a big tall receiver.

I apologize I'm not good at the smarty remarks like some around here. I'm no MIT guy, but I prefer oak!

On a serious note, being small in the backfield can be helped with speed and smarts.

VN Store

Back