In the Ferguson vs Dobbs debate lets at least put one thing to rest...

Gandalf

The Orange/White Wizard
Dobbs is NOT faster than Riley - I keep hearing this but it just isn't so, at least evidenced by their 40 times as recruits.

Riley Ferguson - 4.8 (not blistering but not bad for a QB)
Joshua Dobbs - 4.94 (thats not exactly rocket like more like pretty middle of the non-sec pack for a QB)

Football Recruiting - Joshua Dobbs - Player Profiles - ESPN
Riley Ferguson - Yahoo! Sports

Yes, I am aware that both listed times are from when they were recruits and thus not exactly reflective. I also notice that Dobbs SAID he has run a 4.6 back then but when it comes to listed numbers there is no evidence.

Point is they have both undoubtedly improved. Fergy reputedly relies on his arm strength (because he has it) and Dobbs has clearly shown he can scramble (mostly because our O-line was so crappy last year that he had to pretty much every play).

All that said, Worley is going to start and either Dobbs or Ferguson is going to be #2, progressively getting more snaps and will emerge as the solid leader for 2015 when most of our weapons really line up and we have a strong shot at an 8-9+ win season. In the meantime, whatever the merits of both Dobbs and Fergy (and each has solid merits), lets not hear any more about how Dobbs is faster because there just is no evidence of it - either in stats or on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
who cares.. honestly.. THIS IS THE PROBLEM with most people in our fanbase. who cares who can run a 40 faster in the open field in shorts. Its QB people..

what we should care about.
Who looks like the guy who says "I think I belong playing QB at Tennessee" the most?

Who moves the offense consistently?

Who does the TEAM believe in?

Who do the COACHES believe in?

Where "who faster" is most important is player ratings for the EA Sports NCAA football game, and thats not even coming out this year.

IMO Worley will be.. and I cant believe I'm saying this but from what I've scene should start.. however the coaches see these dude99% more then we do.. so I will trust their judgement.

Not to clown your post its more directed at the whole fan base.. yes speed is a good attribute but give me the dude who plain and simple moves the ball better then the rest.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
I'm in no way in favor of either one, but I will say that Dobb's arm strength looked equal to ferguson on Sat. Looks like he's improved in this category.

Reactions: 5 people
How about this. I don't care about who played who. Ferg got sacked 3 times, fumbled, and threw a pick.

Dobbs didn't.

I'm going with Dobbs between those two. I don't give a damn about the 40 time.

Reactions: 16 people
who cares.. honestly.. THIS IS THE PROBLEM with most people in our fanbase. who cares who can run a 40 faster in the open field in shorts. Its QB people..

what we should care about.
Who looks the guy who says "I think I belong playing QB at Tennessee" the most?

Who moves the offense consistently?

Who does the TEAM believe in?

Who do the COACHES believe in?

Where "who faster" is most important is player ratings for the EA Sports NCAA football game, and thats not even coming out this year.

IMO Worley will be.. and I cant believe I'm saying this but from what I've scene should start.. however the coaches see these dude99% more then we do.. so I will trust their judgement.

Not to clown your post its more directed at the whole fan base.. yes speed is a good attribute but give me the dude who plain and simple moves the ball better then the rest.

Go Vols!

This makes way too much sense for some of the fan base to understand.

Reactions: 4 people
I think it's funny that so many people completely rule out Nathan Peterman because of one bad game in the swamp. He was obviously ahead of Dobbs and Ferguson at that point and he was injured for the remainder of the season. I know he's a long shot but I haven't completely ruled him out like some have. I've quit playing the Qb shuffle, whoever starts.......starts.

Who gives a s**the about their 40 time. Serious a question...why is the love affair so STRONG for RF? I honestly hope the kid is all world as some are swinging on his b**s. If he gets the nod for the starting job, cool. If not, I trust the coaching staff as I'm not a coach...just an observer like all on here. Other than seeing some high school footage and no game experience what's the love affair for RF about?

Reactions: 3 people
The people on this board put way too much into 40 times. And especially when we are talking about 40 times in high school, it's just senseless. I was looking up an NFL draft prospect today. AC Leonard, a tight end, just ran a 4.5 at the combine. I happened upon his high school listing on rivals, where they list that he ran a 4.9. Obviously, a big difference there.

I remember back in the early 2000s, Oregon State had two receivers, Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanzadeh, who just ran all over and past Notre Dame's defense in the Fiesta Bowl. Neither ran well at the combine a few months later. Johnson ran 4.54 and Houshmanzadeh ran somewhere in the high 4.6s. Both looked plenty fast in their NFL careers though. Johnson, in particular, outran alot of players with better 40 times than his.

I'm not saying 40 times don't matter, but I really wish people here would stop considering them as being the definitive determiner of a player's speed. The fact that one guy ran a 4.8 and one guy ran a 4.9 once in high school, is pretty much irrelevant as to who is truly faster in a game in pads on a football field.

Reactions: 2 people
While we may not have a Johnny Football or Peyton Manning on the team, the most important thing to remember is that we are lucky to have 4 QBs, any of whom could probably start and get into a rhythm and do well, especially with our group of running backs. When was the last time we had 4 QBs on the team any of whom could start?

Last edited:
What people are ignoring is all our quarterbacks are probably better than last year.

There is really no way to know that until we see it in a game. But we can certainly hope so. If not, it's going to be really, really ugly this year, no matter who starts.

All that said, Worley is going to start and either Dobbs or Ferguson is going to be #2, progressively getting more snaps and will emerge as the solid leader for 2015 when most of our weapons really line up and we have a strong shot at an 8-9+ win season. In the meantime, whatever the merits of both Dobbs and Fergy (and each has solid merits), lets not hear any more about how Dobbs is faster because there just is no evidence of it - either in stats or on the field.

The competition for starting QB isn't over yet between Worley and Dobbs. Worley played very well in the O&W game and, if Butch Jones had to decide today, Worley probably would be the starter given his experience. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, however, that Jones names Dobbs the starter against Utah State on the theory that he and his mobility gives our offense a chance to be more explosive.

I do think Riley Ferguson took himself out of the running for starter with his O&W game performance - he hasn't proved he's ready yet like Worley and Dobbs have.

Reactions: 4 people
How about just saying whoever the best QB to lead this team on Saturdays (and Sunday for the opener). I cant recall seeing Peyton blow by a defender! I'm rolling with whoever the coach feels is the best fit for our team!

Here's Larry Fitzgerald and his 4.63 speed (as he ran at the combine).

[youtube]http://youtu.be/KE5-tceg4ZU[/youtube]

To put it in perspective, that 4.63 is roughly the same as Carson Palmer ran at the combine. Do you really think they had similar speed?

I think its gonna be Worley and all signs point to him imo. He has gotten the most work with the ones in the scrimmages, esp in the O&W game.

That being said, i wont be surprised a bit if we see Dobbs and/or Fergy get some significant PT in the first 2 games.

stop the whining is getting the floor wet. here is my expert opinion. worley is a great practice qb (knows he is not going to get tackled). peterman (though he got hurt looked nervous in his only action). dobbs (was still wet behind ear but faced tough teams and i believe is ready).. Riley IDK hasnt shown anything remarkable yet). this is all my opinion and just kidding a am not an expert.

How about this. I don't care about who played who. Ferg got sacked 3 times, fumbled, and threw a pick.

Dobbs didn't.

I'm going with Dobbs between those two. I don't give a damn about the 40 time.

In a spring practice. :lol:

1.leadership.
2.execution.
3.ball security.
4.game management.

The coaches will name the starter based upon the above criteria. Who knows? They may platoon the position based on situation, down and distance, or who is "hot" on game day. Someone has to step up and take command, Butch has said "I'm looking for the Alpha Male". That sounds very primal!

I have not seen Ferguson run in a game. Dobbs' football speed is very good. He didn't look like a 4.94 sprinter in his long run on Saturday. Some of the guys pursuing him CAN run.

stop the whining is getting the floor wet. here is my expert opinion. worley is a great practice qb (knows he is not going to get tackled). peterman (though he got hurt looked nervous in his only action). dobbs (was still wet behind ear but faced tough teams and i believe is ready).. Riley IDK hasnt shown anything remarkable yet). this is all my opinion and just kidding a am not an expert.

Worley has done fine when he knew he was going to get tackled... better than Dobbs or Peterman for certain.

None of the QB's got a lot of help from the WR's last year.

None of the QB's got a lot of help from the WR's last year.

A key point that nobody seems to mention much. My seats are up high in the lower bowl in the north Endzone, so you can really watch routes develop. Other than North, there just weren't many guys creating big windows for the QBs to throw into. WR separation was a huge problem.

VN Store

Back