Pass Rush

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
We have Maggit, Weatherd, Vereen, J Williams, and Latroy Lewis all as possibilities coming off the edge (plus a plethora of freshmen) I think DE play and the pass rush has been our biggest problem on defense for nearly a decade.

I've not been impressed by our pass rush since Will Overstreet was here. Is this the year we finally see a pass rush in Knoxville?

Coach mos def has plans for Maggitt and opposing QBs on the schedule. I know it's what most players do, but Maggitt looks sooo much bigger and stronger than he ever did.

Everything good about a football team starts with the defensive line, IMHO.

Pass rush generates three and outs, generates negative plays (which help offense). Chief has that philosophy at LSU for sure and the Decade of Dominance literally began when Leonard Little and Todd Kelly (Sr) started getting in the grill of the backfield. Todd Kelly single-handedly beat Florida in 1992. We won a national championship because Billy Ratliffe totally destroyed the Arkansas offense when he had to do it.

A great D-Line doesn't just generate more sacks - it makes the whole team better.

Reactions: 8 people
The defense was pretty vanilla on Saturday. Vereen and Maggit will be faster and stronger by September. The coaches will hopefully have some unique ways to use them. Add Weathered who runs a 4.5 40 our pass rush should be pretty scary if it comes together.

Imagine Vereen, Maggit, and Weathered all rushing the QB on 3rd down.

If people ask me about our pass rush, I answer simply "Yes. I'm in favor of it." I kid. I kid. I did see subtle improvement last season and expect the rush to be more effective moving forward. GBO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what good is a pass rush if we're 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 1 the whole game?

Gotta stop the run. Then the pass rush matters. JMOFWIW

We have Maggit, Weatherd, Vereen, J Williams, and Latroy Lewis all as possibilities coming off the edge (plus a plethora of freshmen) I think DE play and the pass rush has been our biggest problem on defense for nearly a decade.

I've not been impressed by our pass rush since Will Overstreet was here. Is this the year we finally see a pass rush in Knoxville?

Gotta feeling Hendrix and/or Henderson might be talented enough as true freshmen to contribute some productivity this year. Also, think Jordan Williams has been moved to DT.

The talent upgrade at DEnd is a plus....but we need two DISRUPTIVE DTackles. Those tackles make a huge difference on the defensive fronts. We need two so that double teams are needed so that our DEnds can go one on one!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back