QB drive & unit comparisons

PassedOutAwake

R.I.P RichRollin
Tennessee Volunteers spring football game review; QB drive & unit comparisons - National SEC | Examiner.com

Passing
Justin Worley - 11 of 13, 151 yds 1 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks, 55 rush yds
Riley Ferguson – 7 of 12, 83 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 sacks, -7 rush yds, 1 lost fumble
Nathan Peterman – 8 of 11, 81 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack, -1 rush yds
Joshua Dobbs – 6 of 9, 199 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 0 sacks, 59 rush yds, 1 rush TD
Total – 32 of 45, 514 yds, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 4 sacks, 106 rush yds, 1 rush TD, `1 lost fumble

1.Worley (1st team offense vs. 1st team defense) - FG
2.Peterman except Ferguson for first play (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense) TD
3.Ferguson (1st offense vs. 1st defense)
4.Dobbs (1st offense vs.2nd defense) TD
5.Ferguson (1st offense vs. 1st defense)
6.Dobbs (1st offense vs. 2nd defense) TD
7.Worley (1st offense vs. 1st defense)
8.Peterman (1st offense vs. 1st defense) TD
9.Ferguson (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense) Fumble
10.Dobbs (1st offense vs. 2nd defense) TD
11.Worley (1st offense vs. 1st defense) TD
12.Ferguson (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense)
13.Worley (1st offense vs. 1st defense) TD
14.Peterman (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense)
15.Ferguson (1st offense vs. 2nd defense) TD
16.Dobbs (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense)
17.Worley (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense)
18.Peterman (1st offense vs. 1st defense)
19.Ferguson (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense) INT
20.Dobbs (2nd offense vs. 2nd defense)

Worley (5 drives)
Offense - 4 of 5 with 1st team offense
Defense – 4 of 5 vs. 1st team defense
2 TDs & 1 FG

Peterman (4 drives)
Offense: 2 with each 1st & 2nd team
Defense: 2 each vs. 1st & 2nd team
2 TDs

Ferguson (6 drives)
Offense: 3 with each 1st & 2nd team
Defense: 2 vs. 1st team & 4 vs. 2nd team
1 TD, 1 INT & 1 fumble

Dobbs (5 drives)
Offense: 3 with 1s & 2 with 2nd team
Defense: All 5 vs. 2nd team
4 TDs

Reactions: 12 people
So it looks like other than the botched snap that Dobbs picked up and ran in for a TD, nobody could score with the 2nd team offense. Worley was the only one to score against the 1st team D (1 FG and 1TD and 1 drive that ended in RB rushing for TD). All other scores was 1st team offense vs 2nd team defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, but all ran with the 2nd team offense. In which no QB scored with other than the botched snap that Dobbs ran in

I guess I'm not really seeing what you're getting at unless you're trying to say our overall defense may be better than we've assumed. According to that breakdown, Worley, Dobbs, and Peterman all ran 2nd team O against 2nd team D as well without turnovers although Worley and Peterman didn't score with 2nd team O. I would hope 1st team O is better than 2nd team O but I'm not sure that the author broke the 1s and 2s down properly, or if he did, that 1s and 2s meant anything in terms of who is a 1st teamer come fall. Didn't Fergy throw a TD to Blanc? I know for certain one of the QBs did because Blanc is credited with a TD reception but Blanc can't possibly be on 1st team O.

Last edited:
So it looks like other than the botched snap that Dobbs picked up and ran in for a TD, nobody could score with the 2nd team offense. Worley was the only one to score against the 1st team D (1 FG and 1TD and 1 drive that ended in RB rushing for TD). All other scores was 1st team offense vs 2nd team defense.

Peterman scored against the 1st D.

Reactions: 2 people
I guess I'm not really seeing what you're getting at unless you're trying to say our overall defense may be better than we've assumed. According to that breakdown, Worley, Dobbs, and Peterman all ran 2nd team O against 2nd team D as well without turnovers. I would hope 1st team O is better than 2nd team O but I'm not sure that the author broke the 1s and 2s down properly, or if he did, that 1s and 2s meant anything in terms of who is a 1st teamer come fall. Didn't Fergy throw a TD to Blanc? I know for certain one of the QBs did because Blanc is credited with a TD reception but Blanc can't possibly be on 1st team O.

I was kind of getting at the second team offense couldnt produce no matter who was leading them.

Im not sure with the Blanc situation. Maybe the first team was in and he subbed in for a play or 2. Same with Pickett. Im not real sure. I think Ferguson threw the TD to Blanc. Dobbs threw 2 to Malone and 1 to Pickett. Worley threw 1 to North. Peterman threw 1 to Malone.

So in summary, our 2nd team on both sides of the ball really blows. Despite the new talent, we desperately need a few more good recruiting classes to have quality depth.

Reactions: 3 people
So in summary, our 2nd team on both sides of the ball really blows. Despite the new talent, we desperately need a few more good recruiting classes to have quality depth.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Which is why we better temper our expectations for this year and next. Takes time to build "quality" depth like we had in the 90's which was key to that run. Butch says it all the time "It's a process".

Does not mean we can't scare some folks or even steal a game or two even every year while we build. I would expect that. We could also drop one we shouldn't as well.....one or two injuries will still make a big difference this year.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Which is why we better temper our expectations for this year and next. Takes time to build "quality" depth like we had in the 90's which was key to that run. Butch says it all the time "It's a process".

Does not mean we can't scare some folks or even steal a game or two even every year while we build. I would expect that. We could also drop one we shouldn't as well.....one or two injuries will still make a big difference this year.

:lolabove:Tell that to the guy that started a thread predicting a win over Bama.

haha, I still think we can beat bama. you should always hope and think that being a vol y'all.

Big difference between hoping and thinking. I HOPE we can go 15-0 and win a natty. I THINK we're gonna be fortunate to go 6-6 and get to a bowl game.

Fact is, we could be a much better team this year and have the same record. E.g., we could still lose to Bama but rather than get embarrassed 45-10, maybe only lose 27-20. Sorry for the digression.

After watching the game and looking at the stats, I really think we will be ok on offense this year regardless of who is the starting QB.

So the biggest knock on dobbs coming out of the o&w game is he didn't face the 1st team d.
1. How is that his fault? CBJ didn't get him in against the ones so he took what he got and showed out.
2. Everyones argument is that the 2nd team d is a huge step down from the ones. If thats the case how did the come up with two turnovers against Riley?
I like the break down op thanks!
With this breakdown and from what I saw its clear that Worley did what he needed to solidify himself as the starter.

Reactions: 3 people
I have a novel idea; instead of me trying to figure out from a scrimmage who is the best (particularly since its a bit confusing as to who was with 1st team O, who played against 2d team D, etc), I'll let the coaches decide who should play. I guess since they see them every day in practice, and since they have the experience to gauge such things, I'll let them decide.

It sounded/looked like Riley was the only QB who had problems with pressure from the DL. Why would that be? Problems calling pass protections? Maybe? Help me out.

I guess I'm not really seeing what you're getting at unless you're trying to say our overall defense may be better than we've assumed. According to that breakdown, Worley, Dobbs, and Peterman all ran 2nd team O against 2nd team D as well without turnovers although Worley and Peterman didn't score with 2nd team O. I would hope 1st team O is better than 2nd team O but I'm not sure that the author broke the 1s and 2s down properly, or if he did, that 1s and 2s meant anything in terms of who is a 1st teamer come fall. Didn't Fergy throw a TD to Blanc? I know for certain one of the QBs did because Blanc is credited with a TD reception but Blanc can't possibly be on 1st team O.

When it was ones against ones, Worley was the best QB. Dobbs looked good but ran with the 1's/2's against the 2's.

The D is thin but not quite as bad as the results indicate on the surface.

Blanc is probably rotating in with the 1's since they'd like to go 9 deep at WR. BTW, he can contribute. He has good size and speed. He needs to work on hands and body control.

VN Store

Back