Remaining 2014 Class

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
Merge, Move, Delete or whatever.

Yesterday seems promising from the aspect that the offense looked much improved.

The EEs seem to have settled into the fold and will make a significant contribution to next year.

The remaining part of the class is more Defensive oriented and I have questions regarding their possible impact to the upcoming season.

Will most arrive in July or earlier?

How much impact can we expect from

Weatherd (JUCO), Barnett, Henderson, Mosley, Hendrix Sawyers.

Bryant, Bates, Kelly.

Wharton, Paulk, Scott

McDowell, Gaulden

Berry x2

Robertson (OL/DL)

Medley

Like most it seemed that the Defense seemed did possess the knock out punch.

Will the remaining class of Tm 118 have a significant impact on this season's defense?

It is hard not believe that they will not, but what are your opinions?

Last edited:

Yesterday seems promising from the aspect that the offense looked much improved.

The EEs seem to have settled into the fold and will make a significant contribution to next year.

The remaining part of the class is more Defensive oriented and I have questions regarding their possible impact to the upcoming season.

Bryant, Bates, Kelly.

Wharton, Paulk, Scott

McDowell, Gaulden

Berry x2

Robertson (OL/DL)

Medley

Will the remaining class of Tm 118 have a significant impact on this season's defense?

So what happened to Creamer? Did he play yesterday? He sure looks the part.

Creamer -- 2 asst tackles and .5 sack

AJ only had 1 tackle the entire game. That is not the norm.

Hope they help make everyone better with the increase competition. We have to spend a lot of time this summer working on tackling. They have to get better. It doesn't matter how fast the D is if they can't get the ball carrier to the ground we will be bowl-less again this year. I don't understand how these guys got all the way to college without being able to tackle.

Reactions: 1 person
AJ didn't play much. Butch said he's seen enough of AJ playing football at UT to know what he's capable of, and wanted to get other players snaps.

Kind of what I thought and no need to risk injury.

Leadership on the field is important but I can see CBJs point.

The tackling is a concern and still not understanding it from years past.

We are missing the Passion of hitting as seen in the years past.

Last edited:
Come on people let's not over analyse this spring game. A few adjustment's to the AI settings and the defense will be OK. Oh wait. This isn't Xbox. Either way. Its a spring game. Not the final practice before game 1. From what everyone has been saying. A lot of young guys played. Nerves. Learning a new system. Adjusting to game speed. Being in AH of the cheerleaders new uniforms. Hearing more than 2000 fans. Wearing adidas for the last time. Picturing themselves in Nike next year. Who knows where their minds were. But it was spring ball. If they tackle like this game 1 then we can worry. But I think Butch got this.

Reactions: 2 people
Come on people let's not over analyse this spring game. A few adjustment's to the AI settings and the defense will be OK. Oh wait. This isn't Xbox. Either way. Its a spring game. Not the final practice before game 1. From what everyone has been saying. A lot of young guys played. Nerves. Learning a new system. Adjusting to game speed. Being in AH of the cheerleaders new uniforms. Hearing more than 2000 fans. Wearing adidas for the last time. Picturing themselves in Nike next year. Who knows where their minds were. But it was spring ball. If they tackle like this game 1 then we can worry. But I think Butch got this.

If tackling wasn't an issue the last few years then I could understand where you coming from. But these guys have displayed a trend of bad tackling. I hope you are right though. We need this D to be more than ok we need them playing on a B level at least.

Bryant, Bates, Kelly.

Wharton, Paulk, Scott

McDowell, Gaulden

Berry x2

Robertson (OL/DL)

Medley

By my count 14 will be a part of the defense (all but Paulk, Scott,Wharton, and Medley).

Of those 14, over half are 4 stars (depending on which recruiting service you use).

I would expect to find 2-3 guys who can step in immediately out of that group and the rest to provide quality depth. As far as who could step in and end up starting, I'd keep my eye on Kelly, McDowell, Evan Berry, Bates, or Weatherd. Any of those guys could be starting or in the rotation by the end f the year.

In the trenches we add a lot of bodies, but honestly my hopes aren't up too high for any of them to make a huge impact. Though if any do, my money is on Hendrix or Barnett. Whatever happens, we need at least one of Barnett, Sawyers, Mosley, Robertson to show themselves capable of being a part of the DT rotation. I think we're ok at DE for the most part.

There's been a lot of speculation that Robertson or Mosley could end up on the OL. If one is moved, my money is on Robertson because he fits the athletic mold of what our coaches want at OG. You don't see many 350 lb guards.

Reactions: 4 people
The problem usually with high schoolers coming are playing on either line is the lack of of overall strength..

Bryant, Bates, Kelly.

Wharton, Paulk, Scott

McDowell, Gaulden

Berry x2

Robertson (OL/DL)

Medley

Not sure when the majority of signees will report. Bates has tweeted out that he will be reporting in Late May.

Yes, no need to risk injury to AJ

I don't think that was the reason. It could have been but it seemed to me they dramatically dialed back the defense most of the day in order to let the offense entertain the fans. The 3rd scrimmage (just one week ago) when they let what we have now that passes for a 1st team defense go at it they slaughtered our offense. According to all reports, EVERY QB spent the entire scrimmage running for their lives. They weren't going to put that out for the fans on Big Orange Weekend even though I think it would have been fun to watch and more realistic about where we are.

Could be wrong but I think Weatherd could be exceptional. Really like the tape I've seen on this kid. See Maggitt setting the edge at DE, rushing QB and this kid filling his role very soon.

Weatherd or Bates will need to be able to come into play. Gaulden or Ev. Berry at corner is a must. Sawyers, Hendrix and Barnett need to be able to hold their own and make plays on the line.

Could be wrong but I think Weatherd could be exceptional. Really like the tape I've seen on this kid. See Maggitt setting the edge at DE, rushing QB and this kid filling his role very soon.

I'm looking forward to his arrival as well but all of our EE Jucos came aboard in January in less than stellar condition. We can't really afford for Weatherd to continue that pattern so that'll be something to listen for as fall camp starts. I had thought Pearson would be the exception but Azzanni said even he had hit a wall with a little over a week to go in spring ball. Call it the Juco transition to SEC. A&M has the same issue with their stud OTs both of whom were 4* EEs and are now behind a true sophomore on the depth chart. My guess is nothing can prepare you except the real thing.

By my count 14 will be a part of the defense (all but Paulk, Scott,Wharton, and Medley).

Of those 14, over half are 4 stars (depending on which recruiting service you use).

I would expect to find 2-3 guys who can step in immediately out of that group and the rest to provide quality depth. As far as who could step in and end up starting, I'd keep my eye on Kelly, McDowell, Evan Berry, Bates, or Weatherd. Any of those guys could be starting or in the rotation by the end f the year.

In the trenches we add a lot of bodies, but honestly my hopes aren't up too high for any of them to make a huge impact. Though if any do, my money is on Hendrix or Barnett. Whatever happens, we need at least one of Barnett, Sawyers, Mosley, Robertson to show themselves capable of being a part of the DT rotation. I think we're ok at DE for the most part.

There's been a lot of speculation that Robertson or Mosley could end up on the OL. If one is moved, my money is on Robertson because he fits the athletic mold of what our coaches want at OG. You don't see many 350 lb guards.

Thanks for the information...good thoughts

Anyone worried the new arrivals won't have enough time to get their strength up and get a grasp on the defensive playbook?

VN Store

Back