This Year's two deep

GBOVOLS

Since the summer is here and the freshman will be coming in soon how do you guys thing the two deep will play out?

I believe that Justin King will be the 2nd MLB position he brings a lot of athleticism to that position. I also believe Elliot Berry will be in the rotation behind JRM for the WLB spot with Evan pushing for the second CB spot. I believe all the D-line man that come in will have a chance to be in the rotation.

My Last question which players that are already here you think will make the biggest improvements and be solid for us this season.

Reactions: 1 person
Since the summer is here and the freshman will be coming in soon how do you guys thing the two deep will play out?

I believe that Justin King will be the 2nd MLB position he brings a lot of athleticism to that position. I also believe Elliot Berry will be in the rotation behind JRM for the WLB spot with Evan pushing for the second CB spot. I believe all the D-line man that come in will have a chance to be in the rotation.

My Last question which players that are already here you think will make the biggest improvements and be solid for us this season.

My hope is Carr and O'Brien start to show up. Biggest impact will be Maggitt.

We don't believe in depth charts in our football program.

Only joking... I have high hopes for the DB's, specifically Gaulden, TK Jr, McDowell.

Bates should get some experience this season. I have high hopes for Bryant as well.

On DL, I hope Hendrix and Barnett are ready to roll! EDIT: forgot about Sawyers and Moseley... we're young, but the future is bright!

Biggest impact? Gotta agree on Maggitt if he can remain healthy.

Last edited:
Defense should be this:

SDE: J. Will, Hendrix
DT: Owen, Carr, Mixon/Barnett
NT: O'Brien, Sals, Sawyers
WDE: Veeren, Maggit in LEO, J. Miller/Jakob
WLB: JRM, Bates
MLB: AJ, Bynum/Bryant
SLB: Maggit, Weatherd, J. King/Jakob
CB: Sutton, Foreman
CB: Mosley, R. Jones/Gaulden/Evan Berry
Nickel: Coleman, Payne
FS: Randolph, L. Johnson/Gaulden
SS: McNeil/TK JR, McDowell

Reactions: 2 people
Defense should be this:

SDE: J. Will, Hendrix
NT: O'Brien, Sals, Sawyers
WDE: Veeren, Maggit in LEO, J. Miller/Jakob
WLB: JRM, Bates
SLB: Maggit, Weatherd, J. King/Jakob
CB: Mosley, R. Jones/Gaulden/Evan Berry
Nickel: Coleman, Payne
FS: Randolph, L. Johnson/Gaulden
SS: McNeil/TK JR, McDowell

Did Butch install the 3/4 defense?

My guess is that Dillon Bates will not only play ahead of Elliott at OLB, but that he might even push JRM for the starting position at some point in the season. Jmo.

Did Butch install the 3/4 defense?

If you are asking this bc I put NT on there all I mean is a 1 technique DT. I do expect us to run three down on passing downs with Maggit standing up, but I expect that line up to involve Hendrix, Owen/Carr/Barnett, Sals, Maggit/Weatherd in Leo.

If healthy, Saulsberry is the best DL on the time and ALOT better than O'Brien or Owen.

His return is a huge factor for how good or bad the D is.

Reactions: 4 people
My guess is that Dillon Bates will not only play ahead of Elliott at OLB, but that he might even push JRM for the starting position at some point in the season. Jmo.

I think that's jumping the gun a bit. Bates is good but JRM is also good has the experience and is also good. I don't think he will jump him as the starter. If that happens I would be worry about the rest of our season.

I think that's jumping the gun a bit. Bates is good but JRM is also good has the experience and is also good. I don't think he will jump him as the starter. If that happens I would be worry about the rest of our season.

Get the kid on campus before we make him the first round pick of the COWBOYS in 4 years.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Primary point was that Bates will push for significant playing time ahead of Elliott. I really like JRM too. He was the first defensive guy singled out by CBJ in his presser yesterday. Just think Bates is special and has a chance to be "this year's Cam Sutton".

SDE: Williams, Maggit/Hendrix
NT: O'Brien, Sals, Moseley, Sawyers/Robertson
WDE: Veeren, J. Miller/Jakob/Henderson
WLB: JRM, Bates/Elliot Berry
SLB: Maggit, Weatherd, J. King
CB: Mosley, Evan Berry
Nickel: Coleman, Swafford/Gaulden
FS: Randolph, Kelly
SS: McNeil, McDowell/Gaulden

i am all for bates as long as he doesn't pull a daddy and get run over. no one should ever run over a tennessee volunteers defender. just my .02 cents.

SDE: J Williams, Hendrix, Barnett
DT: Saulsberry, Sawyers, Mixon
DT: OBrien, O Williams, Carr
WDE: Vereen, Henderson, J Miller
OLB: Weatherd, JRM
MLB: Johnson, Bryant
OLB: Maggitt, Bates
CB: Sutton, Evan Berry
CB: Moseley, Foreman
Nickel: Coleman, Gaulden
FS: Randolph, McDowell
SS: Kelly, McNeil

i am all for bates as long as he doesn't pull a daddy and get run over. no one should ever run over a tennessee volunteers defender. just my .02 cents.

Come on 105. Bates is an alltime UT great and NFL all pro. That one play vs Walker is so damn overplayed. Why bring it up? I'd say the rest of his career makes that one play an anomaly to say the least.

Reactions: 5 people
Come on 105. Bates is an alltime UT great and NFL all pro. That one play vs Walker is so damn overplayed. Why bring it up? I'd say the rest of his career makes that one play an anomaly to say the least.

Completely agree. Who knew who Herschel Walker was before that play? What SEC safety would have been prepared for that? That was Walker's "I'm here" introduction to the SEC. We won a LOT of games because of Bill Bates and his toughness. I saw Reggie White get pancaked more than once. And do we judge Peyton's career on one bad pass/decision when he wore O&W? Every VFL has plays they'd like to have back.

Reactions: 5 people
SDE: Hendrix, Jakob
3T: O'Brien, J. Williams
NT: O. Williams, Saulsberry
WDE: Vereen, Henderson
SAM: Maggitt, Weatherd
MIKE: AJ Johnson, Bryant
WILL: JRM, Bates
CB: Evan Berry, Foreman
CB: Sutton, R. Jones
SS: Kelly, McDowell
FS: Randolph, Gaulden
NB: Payne, Coleman

Glass half empty approach.

Could be that JRM is really good but Bates is great. We'll see in August.

VN Store

Back