USU Aggies Spring Ball Video

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I went to the site after running out of Vols spring game stuff to read and watch. I’m no expert but below is what I saw. AND, AND, AND before any snide putdowns on the Aggies, my take is an honest view not meant to insult them. Hopefully, you all exhibit enough respect to make honest comments without being grossly insulting. While there, I saw a few posts by a Vol troll again, and must say it’s embarrassing to see that guy live there and spout the same stuff over and over. If I didn’t know better, I’d think it was ag4fr, but he’s a USUFAN so I guess it must be a ag4fr-VN twin or hybrid of sorts.

O- lines up and plays fast, really fast at times.

Got a big jumper for PKs/FGs. Might block at least one of ours.

Game looked rather half-hearted compared to the rather rough play of ours.

Small but pretty field. I really thought the field looked pretty.

Defense reacts fast.

Players seem really lean despite their roster saying they have a number of 300+lb’ers. Not knocking lean because it can mean faster players. But surprised again at how skinny they look on the video.
This might mean we push them around on both O and D. But then again, it seemed that way with Montana too and we couldn’t.

QB (Harrison) works at selling the read-option and he does it well. I don’t mean running a few feet without the ball but sometimes running downfield as if he has it with him. Not sure our QBs commit themselves this much in the read-option selling.

Has one guy (safety?) who blitzed almost every play

Video is at: Utah State Aggies Official Athletic Site - Videos

Reactions: 6 people
thanks for that link. Im about to check it out. I just went over and skimmed their board and yes its embarrassing from both sides. This game def has the feel of NC State, Cincy, WKU, and Montana though.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post, I agree with your assessment. But would like to add that to me, there RB's looked a little slow. Though that could be because there defense is very fast, so when compared it just makes it seem that way.

I also think that vegas opening as USU being chosen to win is a joke. I really don't understand how it is possible they came up with that outcome.

Reactions: 3 people
Good post, I agree with your assessment. But would like to add that to me, there RB's looked a little slow. Though that could be because there defense is very fast, so when compared it just makes it seem that way.

I also think that vegas opening as USU being chosen to win is a joke. I really don't understand how it is possible they came up with that outcome.

The Vegas thing will change. Think the offensive weaponry our Vols exhibit will practically force that change.

Yeah it will be interesting to see if they can stand up to the grind on LOS. They do look really thin. I think our O-line and D-line will be very aggressive by the time we meet them. There DBs are aggressive don't be surprised if they get beat on double moves.

i havent been able to find that Odds Line yet. not sure where it came from so im not sure that they are favored.And it will look vastly different in August anyways.

Yeah it will be interesting to see if they can stand up to the grind on LOS. They do look really thin. I think our O-line and D-line will be very aggressive by the time we meet them. There DBs are aggressive don't be surprised if they get beat on double moves.

their secondary is their weak link. it is very suspect. they are replacing everyone there.

Dude, who cares...you want me to link middle tennessee's spring ball?

Why don't you link Oklahoma's spring ball, this obsession with Utah tech, or st. Whatever they are is embarrassing.

Why don't you link Oklahoma's spring ball, this obsession with Utah tech, or st. Whatever they are is embarrassing.

i dont believe its an obession. just talking about teams on the schedule. Relax.

Reactions: 25 people

Utah state isn't Austin pray or wku they have butch jones full attention as well as the fan base. Maybe if this were 94-2006 we could overlook everyone and look at OU. News flash dude Tennessee football has been irrelevant for almost 10 years now so this team, coaches and fan base shouldn't mark any game down on the schedule as a W until we get back to relevance

Reactions: 15 people

Vol4Life, since it is your idea, why don't you start a thread in which you link Oklahoma's spring game? That way you won't be wasting your time on this thread. It's a cool idea. Just think about it. I promise not to go to the thread and ask you why didn't you put a link to the real red team's spring ball. You have my word and I'll honor it. :salute:

Reactions: 15 people
its clear by seeing UT first teamers ( not all but most) and most USU first teamers that UT is head and shoulders more talented . But that doesnt mean we can afford to take anyone lightly. Butch wont take them light and neither will the kids. Its the first game of the year. Nobody is half assing the first game of the year esp at home.

I went to the site after running out of Vols spring game stuff to read and watch. I’m no expert but below is what I saw. AND, AND, AND before any snide putdowns on the Aggies, my take is an honest view not meant to insult them. Hopefully, you all exhibit enough respect to make honest comments without being grossly insulting. While there, I saw a few posts by a Vol troll again, and must say it’s embarrassing to see that guy live there and spout the same stuff over and over. If I didn’t know better, I’d think it was ag4fr, but he’s a USUFAN so I guess it must be a ag4fr-VN twin or hybrid of sorts.

Defense reacts fast.

Players seem really lean despite their roster saying they have a number of 300+lb’ers. Not knocking lean because it can mean faster players. But surprised again at how skinny they look on the video.
This might mean we push them around on both O and D. But then again, it seemed that way with Montana too and we couldn’t.

QB (Harrison) works at selling the read-option and he does it well. I don’t mean running a few feet without the ball but sometimes running downfield as if he has it with him. Not sure our QBs commit themselves this much in the read-option selling.

I would say that was a very fair evaluation. The O definitely played at a tempo that was much faster compared to last season. Seemed to be an emphasis for the scrimmage.

The blitzing was designed IMO to test the O line. They sent multiple different looks to see how they would hold up and the line did pretty well.

The field is great I agree. God bless Nike.

The running backs that played are not as fast have they have been in the past. Hall and Williams are both quick on their feet but not burners on the straight away. The RB that will be healthy by fall (knock on wood) is the fastest guy on the team.

Cbs will be the concern. The top 2 corners should be good. The depth at the position is young and not ready. USU does have a couple of JC kids coming in for fall and maybe that will help the depth.

Hopefully both teams stay healthy through the summer. Excited for this game. Go Aggies.

Reactions: 6 people
I would say that was a very fair evaluation. The O definitely played at a tempo that was much faster compared to last season. Seemed to be an emphasis for the scrimmage.

The blitzing was designed IMO to test the O line. They sent multiple different looks to see how they would hold up and the line did pretty well.

The field is great I agree. God bless Nike.

The running backs that played are not as fast have they have been in the past. Hall and Williams are both quick on their feet but not burners on the straight away. The RB that will be healthy by fall (knock on wood) is the fastest guy on the team.

Cbs will be the concern. The top 2 corners should be good. The depth at the position is young and not ready. USU does have a couple of JC kids coming in for fall and maybe that will help the depth.

Hopefully both teams stay healthy through the summer. Excited for this game. Go Aggies.

Nice to see an Aggie fan who provides a response that doesn't provoke. I sincerely hope our fans on this thread maintain the civility.

Reactions: 8 people
Guys and gals I'm not saying we win going away. Or we win by the skin of our teeth. But as a vol fan who has considered moving to Utah I've watch Utah State play several times. At times they play like a mid major. Other times they play above their heads and can put a scare into most teams. With all summer to prepare for this first game you better take it a little more serious. I think Butch will have us ready. And Neylond will be rocking on Sunday night. I'm hoping we win by at least 14. But I'm also hoping that there are a few issues that the fan base doesn't get over excited and expect a rout of Arky State. And then get Oregon Big headed like last season. Hope you all understand my point. Now I will watch for all the smartass remarks to follow. This is volnation.

Reactions: 2 people
Guys and gals I'm not saying we win going away. Or we win by the skin of our teeth. But as a vol fan who has considered moving to Utah I've watch Utah State play several times. At times they play like a mid major. Other times they play above their heads and can put a scare into most teams. With all summer to prepare for this first game you better take it a little more serious. I think Butch will have us ready. And Neylond will be rocking on Sunday night. I'm hoping we win by at least 14. But I'm also hoping that there are a few issues that the fan base doesn't get over excited and expect a rout of Arky State. And then get Oregon Big headed like last season. Hope you all understand my point. Now I will watch for all the smartass remarks to follow. This is volnation.

I think most of us realize that USU is not a team for us to look past. I believe our Vols linesmen on both sides will be surprised by the furious play of the Polynesians on the USU team. But it looks like to me now that if they're as small as they look, they will be worn down by the heft and pounding from our boys by the mid-3rd to early 4th quarter. Just seems that way now. But again, lean usually means fast so who knows.

Defense reacts fast.

You really like this team huh. Do you live there? Just wondering. Go Big Orange!

I think most of us realize that USU is not a team for us to look past. I believe our Vols linesmen on both sides will be surprised by the furious play of the Polynesians on the USU team. But it looks like to me now that if they're as small as they look, they will be worn down by the heft and pounding from our boys by the mid-3rd to early 4th quarter. Just seems that way now. But again, lean usually means fast so who knows.
Im hoping our run game is affective enough then I see this scenario happening.

Im hoping our run game is affective enough then I see this scenario happening.

I have a strong hunch it will be. Lane seems to be determined. Hurd is a bull at the LOS and a gazelle in open field. Folks laugh when I say Pickett is our secret weapon but just wait and see. Then there's the Devrin Devil. I won't be surprised if all our backs see playing time and Butch opting to just pound the rock play after play with all the RB ammo he has available. Remember, Scott is not even on campus yet. I for one would love to see a bit of action by Hill, Summerhill, and Beck. I have a sneaking suspicion we're literally overloaded with good backs of varying skill sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Defense reacts fast.

Some poser is only trying to stir the pot. Nice report. :good!: :good!:

Diabetes? :huh:

I have a strong hunch it will be. Lane seems to be determined. Hurd is a bull at the LOS and a gazelle in open field. Folks laugh when I say Pickett is our secret weapon but just wait and see. Then there's the Devrin Devil. I won't be surprised if all our backs see playing time and Butch opting to just pound the rock play after play with all the RB ammo he has available. Remember, Scott is not even on campus yet. I for one would love to see a bit of action by Hill, Summerhill, and Beck. I have a sneaking suspicion we're literally overloaded with good backs of varying skill sets.
I have read where people say you can never have to many skill position players. But I wonder how true that is. 2015 needs to be more about the line of scrimmage. Would like to see 8 to 10 big boys with a bad attitude. But the right kind of bad attitude. Nasty. Ruthless. Until the whistle blows I will win this play attitude. Maybe we have some of those and they just havent been able to tap into it yet. Hoping the coaches tap into it soon though.

i just cant get on board with anyone who think this UT team will take anyone lightly. Its not happening. Not with as much losing thats been goin and with the fact its opening weekend. They wont be taking anyone light. By the end of August they will so tired of hitting each other. that goes for every school.

Based on talent, UT should win by 17+... UT is faster and especially more agile...and they better hope Keeton gets back.

VN Store

Back