Hyams on radio qb situation

vol445

End zone !!!!!
Probably won't get many replies due to jimmy being in thread title but on radio he said Worley was clear 1 with ferguson being the 2. Dobbs 3 due to inconsistency. Now here's the question. Is jimmy talking about this spring practice or last years?

Reactions: 4 people
Probably won't get many replies due to jimmy being in thread title but on radio he said Worley was clear 1 with ferguson being the 2. Dobbs 3 due to inconsistency. Now here's the question. Is jimmy talking about this spring practice or last years?

Does Jimmy even know what he's talking about, or what year it is?

Reactions: 2 people
If Worley is a clear number 1, I firmly believe Butch would have said so. Also if true we are in trouble out of the box.

Reactions: 4 people
If Worley is a clear number 1, I firmly believe Butch would have said so. Also if true we are in trouble out of the box.

I don't think so. It's only Spring practice. Nothing fuels off-season debate like a good QB competition.

Reactions: 1 person
He is predicting a lively battle between James banks and Casey Clausen. Says it could be a while before this one gets sorted out

Reactions: 8 people

Yeah. I would hate to have a guy out there that beat a top 5 team and is a senior leader as opposed to one that hasn't even played or one that threw for 53 yards vs Vandy.

Reactions: 19 people
Truth is, it doesn't matter who the #1 qb is. The o line is going to be so porous this year that whoever he is, he will likely be hurt by mid season. #2 and possibly #3 will finish the season.

No. According to Jones' own words... he would NOT have said so. He wants the QB's to be under the pressure of competition. He seems to be moving toward a two man race that is more manageable. But he has been very, very clear about the climate and evaluation process he wants to have. Rightly or wrongly, he has no interest in naming a #1 right at the moment... even if one guy or the other leads.

And NO, we are not in trouble out of the box. Worley has talent. If he is surrounded by talented and competent players, he will do just fine. He will definitely "manage the O" the way Jones likes.

Reactions: 3 people

Worley did beat #4 Sc last year and missed beating GA by about a half inch!!

Also, Rocky Marciano did kick Joe Louis' ass!!! :)

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture4881-th.jpeg

Reactions: 21 people
Why does everyone hate on Worley? The kid has talent! And has shown flashes of it last year. He just hasn't been given a real chance to prove it. He was a result of the Dooley regime and different coaches and coordinators. Then Butch comes in with a COMPLETELY different system and he is asked to learn it and be proficient after a few months? I firmly believe he will flourish this year once he gets familiar with the playbook and system.
Just look at Crompton. How many people hated him and wanted him gone, but by the end of his Sr Year, you were sad to see him leave?? Bring on Worley while the younguns learn under him.

Reactions: 11 people
Truth is, it doesn't matter who the #1 qb is. The o line is going to be so porous this year that whoever he is, he will likely be hurt by mid season. #2 and possibly #3 will finish the season.

How do you know? Because all 5 starters aren't Seniors and future pros? Everyone got hung up on the size and talent of last year's line, but I was never truly impressed with them. I don't think we will see as big of a dip as everyone thinks. The kids this year know they have big shoes to fill and will give 110% effort to prove the cynics wrong!:rock::clapping:

Reactions: 10 people
I'm sure Hymes has been wrong before, but I also think he knows more about what's going on with the team more than just the some of these people who sit at home in front of their computer and speculate

So your saying you would rather have Dobbs in there who can't throw the ball 50 yards in one throw or several aka Vanderbilt?...Really?:eek:lol:

Why are we in so much trouble? Despite what your negative attitude thinks Worley began to improve last year and that gives something to build on. We will be fine if he is our qb. I don't think he will be anything great but we will win some games and have a better season.

I would guess that bUTch won't announce who the q.b. will be now. This will make the position competitive until the season opener.

Not excited about WorleyBird; however, I can say with confidence that had he been a healthy starter, we would have beaten Vandy, thus we would have gone to a bowl game.

Actually hyams had a good point. He said butch wants open competition so -
A) they continue to fight to get better
B) no one jumps on the transfer wagon

Why does everyone hate on Worley? The kid has talent! And has shown flashes of it last year. He just hasn't been given a real chance to prove it. He was a result of the Dooley regime and different coaches and coordinators. Then Butch comes in with a COMPLETELY different system and he is asked to learn it and be proficient after a few months? I firmly believe he will flourish this year once he gets familiar with the playbook and system.
Just look at Crompton. How many people hated him and wanted him gone, but by the end of his Sr Year, you were sad to see him leave?? Bring on Worley while the younguns learn under him.

You see, rocketvol, some folks here mistook Volnation for the board called VolHaters and the rest is an on-going history. :yes:

Whoever the QB is, we will be fine. Another year in the system to get the timing of routes down. However, I am concerned about the strength of our QB's arms. They seemed to short throw EVERY deep ball last year. I would love to see them hit a receiver in stride. I hate that the receiver has to stop and wait on the ball, but I think that comes with timing.

I remember when Hyams was all about Ric Clauson and how he deserved to start over Erik Ainge.

If Hyams was talking about 2005 he had a good case. I'm not sure if Ainge's off the field problems were surfacing that year or not but his performance was awful (66 -145, 737 yards, 5 TD's 7 Int's)...and who could forget that play in the end zone vs LSU?

Worley probably doesn't have Crompton's physical talent but he does have a better "head".

Agree on the Worley hate though. It is alot simpler for some folks apparently to blame the QB than to actually consider a more complex problem that includes OC's, philosophies of play/scheme/program building, WR's, TE's, RB's, OL's... Nah, much easier to just say "Worley sucks" and believe that someone beating him out is the magic bullet.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back