Thursday practice thread (4/10)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
*Defensive end LaTroy Lewis worked with the tight ends for at least a portion of practice. We will get more on if that is an experimental move or something the coaches are looking at more permanently when Jones talks after practice. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound redshirt sophomore from Akron, Ohio, played in just six games at end last season. He redshirted following an ACL injury in 2012.

The Vols are down Brendan Downs and A.J. Branisel, who are both coming off knee injuries, and freshmen Ethan Wolf and Daniel Helm have gotten most of the heavy lifting.

*Nickelback Justin Coleman wore a thick chain with a lock on it around his neck during parts of practice. There's likely one of Jones's program mottos involved there, so we'll see what was up with that after practice.

Some things that jumped out: quarterback Riley Ferguson narrowly missed hitting tight end Woody Quinn for a completion down the seam; Nathan Peterman badly underthrew a deep route intended for freshman Josh Malone; and Marquez North and Von Pearson each made catches on the edge and out of the slot, respectively.

Tennessee football practice report: Spring game nearing for Vols | Times Free Press

Reactions: 1 person
More on Lewis.

Defensive end LaTroy Lewis got a look at tight end on Thursday. He had an up-and-down first day at the position, making a couple nice grabs, but also dropping at least one very catchable ball. With the Vols well stocked with young TEs, it’s somewhat of an interesting move, though with former linebackers Curt Maggitt and Jakob Johnson both getting reps at defensive end, perhaps that made Lewis more expendable

Cornerback Malik Foreman had a couple of nice plays during a seven-on-seven drill. He fought through a blocking wide receiver two plays in a row to help set the corner and help the defense make a play on short passes that came to his side.

Notes and observations from UT's Thursday practice | Nooga.com

Daniel Lewis: Jordan Williams is working more and more at DT...said he hopes to be over 280 pounds this summer & be able to play both spots.

The day also saw at least one Vol --- defensive back Riyahd Jones --- don a commemorative orange football sticker on the back of his helmet with the initials "BD" for long-time announcer Bobby Denton, who died earlier this week. It is expected the rest of the players will have the decals for Saturday's Orange & White Game.

The Vols also worked their first-team kickoff coverage unit, which consisted of the following players: Cam Sutton, Jaron Toney, Jakob Johnson, Kenny Bynum, Deanthonie Summerhill, Josh Smith, LaDarrell McNeil, A.J. Johnson, Alden Hill, Malik Foreman and kicker George Bullock.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630208

Daniel Lewis: A.J. Johnson said he will keep lobbying for the Beast package this summer, but I think think that ship has sailed.

JONES: These are the times when you find out about your inner drive, it has been a grind. I liked the ways our players came out.

JONES: Saturday is a big day for us, it is important for the overall evolution of our football team.

. @UTCoachJones i was really disappointed n QB group today. But i thought @tha_truth_104 had the best leadership today. No spring depth chrt

Danny Parker: @UTCoachJones says redshirt freshman Riley Ferguson shown more leadership than other QBs. No post-spring depth chart coming.

JONES: We are waiting for someone to take grab and say 'I am the quarterback of Tennessee.' You have to bring it every single day.

JONES: Everyone has to be all aligned. Everyone has to speak the same language. That is what we have here.

Daniel Lewis: Jones on LaTroy Lewis at TE: "We're experimenting" ... Also said Jason Carr has worked some on offense (OT)

JONES: These are the times when you find out about your inner drive, it has been a grind. I liked the ways our players came out.

JONES: Saturday is a big day for us, it is important for the overall evolution of our football team.

. @UTCoachJones i was really disappointed n QB group today. But i thought @tha_truth_104 had the best leadership today. No spring depth chrt

Danny Parker: @UTCoachJones says redshirt freshman Riley Ferguson shown more leadership than other QBs. No post-spring depth chart coming.

JONES: We are waiting for someone to take grab and say 'I am the quarterback of Tennessee.' You have to bring it every single day.

JONES: Everyone has to be all aligned. Everyone has to speak the same language. That is what we have here.

Daniel Lewis: Jones on LaTroy Lewis at TE: "We're experimenting" ... Also said Jason Carr has worked some on offense (OT)

This is where they lose me. Who is this?

Edit: looks like it's Ferguson

I'm never one of those to criticize the staff but I just can't believe that's the best kickoff coverage unit we can field. I thought the point of adding all this talent was for Toney and Summerhill to go back to anonymity.

I'm never one of those to criticize the staff but I just can't believe that's the best kickoff coverage unit we can field. I thought the point of adding all this talent was for Toney and Summerhill to go back to anonymity.

Well yeah, on offense and defense, but you don't wanna put your starters on special teams and risk injury to key players. Not sure why AJ played there today.

Last edited:

Most of that talent isnt on campus yet. Most of our EEs were offensive

I know we won't need to " beast package" with players like Hurd and Lane, but it would be nice to do it once or twice just for A.J

Some of the kickoff players are offensive team members or have offensive experience. Just kills me to see McNeil and Toney out there. They both take such bad angles.

Bates, Bryant, Gaulden, Kelly, McDowell, Wharton, Henderson, Berry, Berry and Weatherd can fix special team problems once they get on campus

Reactions: 14 people
Well yeah, on offense and defense, but you don't wanna put your starters on special teams and risk injury to key players. Not sure why AJ played there today.

Agreed. And I don't understand either why AJ would be out there and not JRM.

VN Store

Back