2013 O&W game format was borrrrring!

Scrimmages can be boring. I know I used to go to the Falcons training camp for years when they used to have it in Greenville,South Carolina.

I kind of liked it actually. You can't expect it to feel like a real game because the scoring is so wacky but I like the O. vs D. setup.

If you're bored watching this one though, with all the new talent and the qb's to "evaluate" then you probably got lost on the way to the stadium lol

Reactions: 3 people
The plan is to give future opponents absolutely no information, so boring is what is intended. I wonder if they tell recruits not to mistake what they are doing for something they would actually do in a real game. Just get your hotdog autographed and go home.

Reactions: 1 person
The plan is to give future opponents absolutely no information, so boring is what is intended. I wonder if they tell recruits not to mistake what they are doing for something they would actually do in a real game. Just get your hotdog autographed and go home.

I highly doubt that has any bearing on the format. Practice time in the spring is severely limited so putting on an entertaining game for the fans just isn't that high a priority

Reactions: 2 people
I am not going to see a great battle between two teams, I will be there to see how the O and D look, and how certain players look, speed, size, etc.

Also, looking forward to seeing some great former Vols, like the immortal Al Wilson!!! :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Hence, the actual format is completely irrelevant to me. Just happy to see my boys in O&W playing some football on what looks like will be a beautiful day!

:dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

Circle of Life during breaks in action should be fun to watch, plus one vs one drills like WR vs DB, will be exciting.

The rest is just a social event, imo.

I never go into watching a Spring Game with high expectations. For me, last year's game was a cut above many others because it was different. Sure, I like to see the occasional flashes of magnificent talent of the players but I recognize no game plans will be disclosed. The idea of having the opportunity to meet the coaches and team members prior to the game, the unusual format, the former players in attendance, on a hopefully nice spring afternoon is a great way to spend a day. I was pleased last year with the number of former Vols who were there. Getting everybody together was a Vol family reunion. I even liked Arian Foster as a DJ. To me, it's all good and not boring. This year, I am intrigued even more by what Butch will do to change it up again. I hope a whole crowd of our recruits are there to see an energized and large contingent of the Big Orange Nation.

The new format sounds Awesome! Can you imagine doing 1x1 drills infront of +70k? Talk about simulating pressure situations!

Reactions: 2 people
So many friends I have not seen since November.. The EE's to evaluate... The VFL flag football game.. chance for my son to add to his autograph collection... The first time my daughter is old enough to understand what is going on... being there to see the all time attendance record for an O&W game broken.

This is going to be an epic weekend. Forecast 0% chance of boredom no matter what format they use to play the game.. JMHO

“In between segments or in between possessions we will also do some individual one-on-ones,” Jones said. “I think our fans particularly seeing the newcomers will love to see a Josh Malone go out there and compete against Cam Sutton in a one-on-one drill. We will call them out and we will do what we call Circle of Life and we will do some different individual battles as well, along with playing football.”

This will be awesome! Too bad i'm in Turkey and won't be able to see it.

And,

SCORING THE PLAYS
Though the majority of the scoring will be the same as a football game, Coach Jones will also reward big plays during the game
Be on the lookout for big catches and long runs to add points to the offense's score while the defense can earn points for big stops
Offense Scoring
Touchdown - 7 points
Field Goal - 3 points
First Down - 1 point
+20 Yard Pass - 2 points
+15 Yard Rush - 2 points
Fourth Down Conversion - 2 points
Defense Scoring
Touchdown - 12 points
Turnover - 6 points
Drive Stop - 2 points
Three & Outs - 2 points
Fourth Down Stop - 3 points
Pass Break Up - 1 point
Tackle For Loss - 1 point
Sack - 1 point
Individual Scoring System
WR/DB 1-on-1 - 5 Points for Winner
OL/DL 1-on-1 - 5 points for Winner
Circle of Life - 5 Points for Winner
Potential Situational Scoring
Coming Out Offense (Get past 20 yard line) - 3 Points Defense (Stop the Offense) - 3 Points
Red Zone Offense (Scores a TD) - 3 Points Defense (Doesn't Allow Off to Score) - 3 Points
Overtime Offense (Scores) - 3 Points Defense (Doesn't Allow Off to Score) - 3 Points
** - Multiple scores can be recorded on a single play**

I kind of liked it actually. You can't expect it to feel like a real game because the scoring is so wacky but I like the O. vs D. setup.

If you're bored watching this one though, with all the new talent and the qb's to "evaluate" then you probably got lost on the way to the stadium lol

I want know if it will be boring or not,since they aren't going to televise it or stream it :banghead2:

Seems so bizarre that they aren't going to televise it. Pretty much every major program televises their spring game at this point, right? Why would you not want potential recruits to see you on TV? Why would you want them to think they would have less television exposure by coming to your school? Makes no sense to me.

Why would you not want potential recruits to see you on TV? Why would you want them to think they would have less television exposure by coming to your school? Makes no sense to me.

even if it was on espn3 it's not like that is national tv. Any recruit thinking tv exposure for any SEC team is an issue needs to do some research. Every game is televised

VN Store

Back