High praise for Josh Malone

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Butch on the radio this morning: "I am excited about Josh Malone as a WR as I have been about a wideout in a long time."

That's pretty strong.

Reactions: 53 people
Butch Jones in MY coach, and I am proud of it!

I am so glad that a talented TENNESSEE boy like Josh Malone is receiving such praise.

I can't wait to watch all of these studs perform Saturday! GaaaameDaaaay! (sorta)

Reactions: 6 people
Gonna be a good one

Can't think of any WR corps with as much potential as North Pearson and Malone

Reactions: 9 people
Here are some other quotes from Jones from UT.

JONES: We are really fired up about the #VFL Flag Football Classic with the 13-foot MVP Trophy!

JONES: Tradition is a handing down of excellence.

JONES: I am really excited about Jalen Hurd, he gets better and better each day. He digests everything and we are excited about his progress

JONES: Playing Sunday Night is a great opportunity to play on @SECNetwork on network launch. Great weekend with Boomsday & our opener.

JONES: The atmosphere will be unrivaled on the opening weekend. We will need 102,455 at Neyland.

JONES: Today and tomorrow, we will re-emphasis the basic fundamentals and improvement. Every moment is a teaching moment.

JONES:We have a very dynamic leader in @CurtMaggitt. We need more players to step up. Its holding each other to high level of accountability

JONES (on QBs):We are balancing repetitions. Justin & Riley have taken more reps and they will continue to. Nate & Josh continue to progress

JONES: So much growth in a player can occur over summer months. We will make a decision on our starter in training camp.

JONES: Saturday is a critical day in the evolution of our team. 50% are participating in their first Spring Game in front of 70K-80K.

JONES: We will call out individuals on Saturday and have them do 1-on-1s in between series in the first half.

JONES: We will make sure we are a better team when we leave Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

Reactions: 15 people
Then insert Preston Williams next year .. :drool:

We just need a friggin QB to throw them the ball.

This, and I believe we'll have the QB. Heck, I'd go so far to say that with that WR corps, one could afford to not have a star QB back there because the WR talent would (should) compensate for it.

I'm looking forward to this season, even though it's still gonna be a bumpy ride.

With everything Jones and the coaches have said along with local radio guys, it's pretty clear at this point that the QB position is down to Worley and Riley. Anyone that says different is blind as a bat.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm looking forward to watching this WR corps more than I was to watch Hunter, CP, and Da'Rick

I don't see how a QB such has Gentry could pass up an opportunity at early playing time with the WR talent that is being assembled here. I don't think the long term answer at QB is on our campus yet but it will be next year.

I think Riley is the future at qb he is super talented. I think Worley starts season the riley takes over at some point. Malone will be a star. Our qbs will look much better this year because of the talent at whiteout.

Reactions: 6 people
Gonna be a good one

Can't think of any WR corps with as much potential as North Pearson and Malone

Throw in Young & Croom and we should go 5 wide and let em rip. Hopefully one of our 12 QBs can learn to through a quick slant :)

Reactions: 4 people
I think Riley is the future at qb he is super talented. I think Worley starts season the riley takes over at some point. Malone will be a star. Our qbs will look much better this year because of the talent at whiteout.

My thoughts exactly. I will add that Worley will get the nod while the O-line develops into a cohesive unit the first few games. During that time, Butch will need a QB that makes good, quick decisions with the ball. Ferg's not there yet, but will get there with game expereince.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch also said Hurd is working hard,isn't quite there yet as far as being conditioned
for the SEC,but he will be...said the kid is competitive as hell and smart.He does things he's never seen from a 6'3" RB,and plays,moves,and makes people miss in the back half of the D like a 5'9" RB....

Yeah, Josh Smith and Cody Blanc are stepping up this spring!

Reactions: 13 people
I still remember when it was announced that Da'rick was released and was super disappointed.

It gave me such a bad headache that I had to take a half day and leave work early. I thought our entire season had just gone up in flames.

Although I think it may have been a blessing in disguise. Da'Rick stays in 2012, and we likely would have won 1-2 more games, despite our terrible D.

We go to a bowl, and Dooley is retained for another year. Hell, he might still be the coach, but would almost certainly still be on the hotseat.

And the 2014 class would have been garbage, with all our top players going to other schools.

Reactions: 8 people
now lets work on getting them a QB that can get the ball to them in play maker space!

Here are some other quotes from Jones from UT.

JONES: We are really fired up about the #VFL Flag Football Classic with the 13-foot MVP Trophy!

JONES: Tradition is a handing down of excellence.

JONES: I am really excited about Jalen Hurd, he gets better and better each day. He digests everything and we are excited about his progress

JONES: Playing Sunday Night is a great opportunity to play on @SECNetwork on network launch. Great weekend with Boomsday & our opener.

JONES: The atmosphere will be unrivaled on the opening weekend. We will need 102,455 at Neyland.

JONES: Today and tomorrow, we will re-emphasis the basic fundamentals and improvement. Every moment is a teaching moment.

JONES:We have a very dynamic leader in @CurtMaggitt. We need more players to step up. Its holding each other to high level of accountability

JONES (on QBs):We are balancing repetitions. Justin & Riley have taken more reps and they will continue to. Nate & Josh continue to progress

JONES: So much growth in a player can occur over summer months. We will make a decision on our starter in training camp.

JONES: Saturday is a critical day in the evolution of our team. 50% are participating in their first Spring Game in front of 70K-80K.

JONES: We will call out individuals on Saturday and have them do 1-on-1s in between series in the first half.

JONES: We will make sure we are a better team when we leave Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

The size of that flag football MVP trophy is gonna get out of hand in the next few years....

My thoughts exactly. I will add that Worley will get the nod while the O-line develops into a cohesive unit the first few games. During that time, Butch will need a QB that makes good, quick decisions with the ball. Ferg's not there yet, but will get there with game expereince.

I feel like Worley will start early too, but last year making quick decisions weren't his strong suit, imo. I think that was a big part of the problem with the passing game last year early in the season. The timing was off because he was getting rid of the ball a tick slow. I have full confidence that after over a year in bUTch's system those issues will be fixed this coming year.

Reactions: 1 person
I feel like Worley will start early too, but last year making quick decisions weren't his strong suit, imo. I think that was a big part of the problem with the passing game last year early in the season. The timing was off because he was getting rid of the ball a tick slow. I have full confidence that after over a year in bUTch's system those issues will be fixed this coming year.

JW being in the system 2 years will be a huge plus and timing issues should be considerably less than last year. I really feel we would have been bowling last year if JW would have not injured his thumb.

VN Store

Back