Favorite Bobby Denton Moments?

utvols16manning

5 Star Poster
Besides "It's football time in Tennessee" and "Please pay no more"

A couple of mine...

1) Probably about 10 years ago, (can't remember who we were playing) there were about 5 penalty flags on consecutive plays and after the sixth play Bobby randomly came on the PA and said "THERE ARE NO FLAGS ON THE PLAY". Cracked me up.

2) Once again, I can't remember who we were playing but it was third and long for them and as they were walking up to the line of scrimmage Bobby said "It's third...AND THE RIVERRRR"

What are your favorite Bobby Denton moments?

Reactions: 3 people
Vandy game prob in 91, the way he said " another 4th down......VAAAnderbilt". Just 1 that stuck out as a young boy.

For me, it was every time in that stadium, being there with the sights and sounds, hearing that voice, feeling like a boy again. It just felt like home. People who don't get the emotional bond we have with Tennessee football (sports in general) will never understand it. I have 4 kids now and am married and live out of state, but when II come to came to games and heard that voice, it was just home. Such sweet memories. He will be missed by......."a HOST OF VOLUNTEERS"

Reactions: 2 people
I know you said no "It's football time in Tennessee." But honestly, it is my favorite. I got chills every time I heard it. It's hard to accept the fact that any time I hear that from now on, it will never be the same.

Reactions: 1 person
I liked the "host of volunteers" call too. I also miss when the "scores of interest" was something you really stopped to hear. He seemed to know how to get a cheer out of the crowd

I'll just miss the simple calls, hearing his voice echo through the stadium, "First and 10, Tennessee!" Neyland Stadium just won't be the same without him.

OP - I believe that game you are referring to was against South Carolina when Lou Holtz was there.

A couple of mine...

1) Probably about 10 years ago, (can't remember who we were playing) there were about 5 penalty flags on consecutive plays and after the sixth play Bobby randomly came on the PA and said "THERE ARE NO FLAGS ON THE PLAY". Cracked me up.

2) Once again, I can't remember who we were playing but it was third and long for them and as they were walking up to the line of scrimmage Bobby said "It's third...AND THE RIVERRRR"

I remember that against Kentucky in 00. Travis Henry broke the all time rushing mark in that game.

I always liked how he set up the FG attempts:

____________ to snap,

____________ to hold,

____________ to attempt.

It's GOOOOOD!

I liked the "host of volunteers" call too. I also miss when the "scores of interest" was something you really stopped to hear. He seemed to know how to get a cheer out of the crowd

Did he even give the "scores of interest" once the new scoreboard went up that had scores scrolling on it?

In October of 1993 we were playing South Carolina and beating the crap out of them while at the same time Georgia and Florida were in a tight game that went down to the last play. We needed Georgia to win to keep our SEC East title hopes alive and most fans had either left the blowout or were trying to get updates on the Ga/Fla game...After Tennessee picked up a late first down Bobby Denton said with authority, "IT'S FIRST AND TEN GEORGIA!!!!!!!!"...He was such a Vol at heart and obviously had eyes on the other game as well...This is a sad day for us.

Reactions: 3 people
Bobby Denton - the Voice of Neyland Stadium » Knoxville.com

But perhaps one of the most memorable Neyland Stadium moments that lives with every avid UT football fan was against South Carolina when Lou Holtz was still coaching the Gamecocks. South Carolina was staring down the field at 4th down and 45 yards to go. In typical Bobby Denton style he called the play with, "It's fourth down andÉ the river!"

"The crowd went wild," Bobby says. "They interviewed Lou Holtz and asked him if he thought I was showdogging to which Lou Holtz responded, 'Hell, I thought it was farther than that.'"

Reactions: 8 people
Bobby Denton - the Voice of Neyland Stadium » Knoxville.com

But perhaps one of the most memorable Neyland Stadium moments that lives with every avid UT football fan was against South Carolina when Lou Holtz was still coaching the Gamecocks. South Carolina was staring down the field at 4th down and 45 yards to go. In typical Bobby Denton style he called the play with, "It's fourth down andÉ the river!"

"The crowd went wild," Bobby says. "They interviewed Lou Holtz and asked him if he thought I was showdogging to which Lou Holtz responded, 'Hell, I thought it was farther than that.'"

That was it! Didn't realize it was fourth down. Thanks. :hi:

if he did I don't remember. Just wasn't that important anymore I guess

I think he would every once in a while if it was something like Florida or Alabama losing.

I swear I remember being at a game in 98 when he announced Ohio State was losing. It was an amazing moment, because I remember that being the first time a lot of people really started to see what was possible.

Did he even give the "scores of interest" once the new scoreboard went up that had scores scrolling on it?

believe he did. I remember how if it was a game that had implications for UT, such as Florida, his voice when he would announce an impending "score of interest" would reflect what he was about to say.

I think he would every once in a while if it was something like Florida or Alabama losing.

I swear I remember being at a game in 98 when he announced Ohio State was losing. It was an amazing moment, because I remember that being the first time a lot of people really started to see what was possible.

I remember that too. That was an afternoon game against UAB as I recall. Ohio State was #1 and lost at home to Michigan State (coached by Saban). We didn't get the Jumbtron until the next year though, so Denton was still giving the "other scores of interest" with regularity. I vividly remember leaving the UAB game and catching the end of the Ohio St/Michigan St game at O'Charley's on Cumberland (miss that place btw). The Arkansas game was the next week....Ahhh, great memories.

I graduated in 73 and did not return to Neyland until I got a chance to see a game there a few years ago. What struck me was that voice on the PA. I knew I was home.

Reactions: 4 people
When I was a kid I used to spend every Saturday night during racing season at Smoky Mountain Raceway in Maryville. Bobby was the PA announcer there as well and as a kid I used to set up in the booth with him in the pits, he referred to it as "The Eye in the Sky". I didn't have any connections to Bobby other than sharing a space in time with him but he was always cordial and never made me feel as if I was hindering his work or anything of that nature. He also introduced me to Bobby Allison as well. And, unkown to most Bobby Denton fans, is that Bobby Denton was also the track announcer at Talladega it's first several years of existence. I know to most on this board he's remembered for his announcing at Neyland but for me it was at a much different venue.

I got mad at him in 2012 because he congratulated Missouri after they beat us in over time. I realized later that my anger was really because Derek Dooley decided to have Bray take a knee at the end of regulation. My apologies to the Denton family for my misdirected wrath. RIP Mr. Denton.

My favorite moment that I was there for was for sure the 2007 Vanderbilt game. It was a close game going down to the wire and everyone was still really tuned in to the game. I had been noticing the other scores on the board throughout the game, but it never really hit me until Bobby dropped a "scores of interest". Everyone quieted down when he said it and he said something to the effect of "In a final score UL Monroe 21..." here he paused for several seconds while the stadium was silent and he finally let it go "...Alabama 14". I remember everyone going nuts and you could tell he enjoyed breaking the news just from his delivery.

A couple of mine...

The 4th and the River was great. The Vaaaaaahn-der-bilt line he would use always cracked me up. They always try to think their sh*t doesn't stink and he made damn sure to pronounce it the way they probably thought people should pronounce it even if he was getting in a dig.

Another one of my favorites was when we played Notre Dame in 2004. We lost that game and Erik Ainge to a shoulder injury. However, Jesse Mahelona was wreaking havoc that day. He got back to back sacks if I remember correctly and Denton belted out, "Jesse Ma-he-looooooonnaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!" every time.

The 4th and the River was great. The Vaaaaaahn-der-bilt line he would use always cracked me up. They always try to think their sh*t doesn't stink and he made damn sure to pronounce it the way they probably thought people should pronounce it even if he was getting in a dig.

Another one of my favorites was when we played Notre Dame in 2004. We lost that game and Erik Ainge to a shoulder injury. However, Jesse Mahelona was wreaking havoc that day. He got back to back sacks if I remember correctly and Denton belted out, "Jesse Ma-he-looooooonnaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!" every time.

:eek:lol: Forgot about the Ma-ha-lonnaaaaaaaa. He loved saying that name.

Another one was Jacques Smith...always sounded like he was saying Jackass Smith.

VN Store

Back