Give me your best solution

fade route

Just being honest
Ok VN, although I am opposed to paying college athletes in concept because they are already being paid in the form of a free education, I also realize that this idea is gaining acceptance and will be an eventual reality in college sports.

With that said, I would like to hear what solutions you have for how to get this done in a fiscally responsible way that addresses problem without turning the system into a farm system for the NBA/NFL. My solution is below:

Alot of athletes, like Nappier of UConn, complain that their jerseys are getting sold but they don't see any of the money, and they end up not being ables to eat, etc., the same with TV revenues. So, my solution would be this: Any retail company selling jerseys or paraphernalia with a reference to a specific player must turn a certain % over to the school (20-30%?). The school in turn must take that money and use it this way - 50% will go towards meal plan improvements and upgrades for all athletes of that school, and 50% will go in a trust fund for that specific athlete that he can recoup upon graduation or leaving the program. That way the athlete CAN profit from the sale of their own jersey, its just delayed until they graduate/leave. TV revenues can be treated the same way. If ESPN broadcasts a football game between UT and UF (example), then a certain % of the revenue from that broadcast must go to UT and UF, and that money will be split into meal plan upgrades for athletes, and trust funds for each player of the team that was broadcast that they can recoup upon graduation or quitting the team or leaving the program. If, however, they decide to cash in their trust fund at any time while still eligible, then they cannot play D1 football/basketball again and thus give up their eligibility.

Ok, tell me where I'm crazy.

Reactions: 4 people
Guess I'm one of the last holdouts.

If you want to go to a university and play sports for a scholarship fine. If not...dont.

Reactions: 15 people
Ok VN, although I am opposed to paying college athletes in concept because they are already being paid in the form of a free education, I also realize that this idea is gaining acceptance and will be an eventual reality in college sports.

With that said, I would like to hear what solutions you have for how to get this done in a fiscally responsible way that addresses problem without turning the system into a farm system for the NBA/NFL. My solution is below:

Alot of athletes, like Nappier of UConn, complain that their jerseys are getting sold but they don't see any of the money, and they end up not being ables to eat, etc., the same with TV revenues. So, my solution would be this: Any retail company selling jerseys or paraphernalia with a reference to a specific player must turn a certain % over to the school (20-30%?). The school in turn must take that money and use it this way - 50% will go towards meal plan improvements and upgrades for all athletes of that school, and 50% will go in a trust fund for that specific athlete that he can recoup upon graduation or leaving the program. That way the athlete CAN profit from the sale of their own jersey, its just delayed until they graduate/leave. TV revenues can be treated the same way. If ESPN broadcasts a football game between UT and UF (example), then a certain % of the revenue from that broadcast must go to UT and UF, and that money will be split into meal plan upgrades for athletes, and trust funds for each player of the team that was broadcast that they can recoup upon graduation or quitting the team or leaving the program. If, however, they decide to cash in their trust fund at any time while still eligible, then they cannot play D1 football/basketball again and thus give up their eligibility.

Not bad. I would also include a provision that if you are kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons you get nothing. Might help with some of the dumb behavior.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't know how you fairly do this. On one side you'll get the people that ask for fairness across all sports, but all sports aren't treated the same. Football and basketball have far bigger budgets than the other sports.

Do you treat the scholarship as income, thus subject to taxes? I don't see that as ever happening. As far as jersey sells go, there are only a handful of numbers that sell. There aren't too many OL or DL jerseys being bought.

Fade's idea isn't a bad one and it's certainly measurable (which is key).

I'm so sick of the people who say everyone has the same opportunities. That's bull crap. I had full financial aid when I attempted to go to college. My parents were not wealthy. I couldn't afford all the extra lab fees. Or the fuel to commute. And no I didn't live on campus because of where I lived I had to work. College was 30 miles north. Work was 30 miles south. You do the fuel math. Some of these high rated and low rated athletes are dirt poor like my family. They are trying to use a God given and hard earned talent to make a better life for them and their families. But living on a food plan and eating when the cafeteria is open is bull. What about when you get hungry at night. Or you just want a little more. A 150 pound kicker eats less than a 300 pound lineman. Giving these athletes more than just a free education is not insane. There not asking for new cars. They just want food and new jeans and underwear when they can't afford them. Not every student has doctor and lawyer parents. I say give them something.

Reactions: 12 people
most of these guys complaints is not being able to eat late at night and scholarships not covering all school expenses. fix that and leave the rest alone

Reactions: 2 people
Guess I'm one of the last holdouts.

If you want to go to a university and play sports for a scholarship fine. If not...dont.

I agree with the above... it's worked absolutely fine for decades. So why is it a problem now?

Fade... as far as your suggestions, I think you may need a few modifications.

1.) putting money in a trust fund doesn't address what I thought was one of the major issues... which is that some athletes need money while in college. Perhaps a simple fix is for the student-athletes to borrow money from their fund much like adults can borrow from their 401K's.

2) you're suggestion also wouldn't be fair to any athletes who aren't "star players" or even any star athletes who don't play in "star" positions. For example, linemen rarely get the same exposure as a QB, RB or WR so therefore would not get the same revenue opportunity for jerseys sold, etc.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with the above... it's worked absolutely fine for decades. So why is it a problem now?

Fade... as far as your suggestions, I think you may need a few modifications.

1.) putting money in a trust fund doesn't address what I thought was one of the major issues... which is that some athletes need money while in college. Perhaps a simple fix is for the student-athletes to borrow money from their fund much like adults can borrow from their 401K's.

2) you're suggestion also wouldn't be fair to any athletes who aren't "star players" or even any star athletes who don't play in "star" positions. For example, linemen rarely get the same exposure as a QB, RB or WR so therefore would not get the same revenue opportunity for jerseys sold, etc.

Good thoughts. On 2), that's where TV revenue would help all athletes involved in the broadcast, even backups who never see the field. Plus, that figure would far surpass the money generated from jersey sales.

Jerseys reference the #, not the player. How do you know which athlete the jersey was purchased in honor of and who gets the take?

I don't think you can narrow it down to a specific player.

The school provides the scholarship as always. You just allow the student to sell autographs and memorabilia that he already owns. He can also endorse what he wants. The school and NCAA still sell jerseys and video games. Pretty much the status quo except students are allowed to make money off of their likeness independently without penalty.

I would just to see a guaranteed scholarship as long as they stay in school they can keep it till they graduate or put a year limit on it like 6 years free tuition, so if you get hurt the first year and can never play again you get 5 years more of free school. If you decide to go pro early you forfeit that scholarship. And then maybe a little extra money the same for each athlete like maybe 500 a month during school.

Root for your favorite Club, like the rest of the world does, and universities will be focused on education and intramural sports. It pains me to think of it, but I just don't see universities trying for too long to compete with one another to pay 18 yr olds.

Root for your favorite Club, like the rest of the world does, and universities will be focused on education and intramural sports. It pains me to think of it, but I just don't see universities trying for too long to compete with one another to pay 18 yr olds.

Have you looked at how they compete with one another to pay coaching staffs?

screen_shot_20140407_at_9.34.07_am.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.34.07_am.png

Have you looked at how they compete with one another to pay coaching staffs?

screen_shot_20140407_at_9.34.07_am.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.34.07_am.png

Football certainly isn't going anywhere. If you include the smaller sports in a scheme where you pay all scholarship athletes you may lose the smaller sports though. That's why I say just let the players sell their own likeness without penalty. The university loses nothing and the market deals with paying players. It is way better for star athletes than anyone else but that's life.

Take all the under the table stuff...you know boosters giving athletes money...and legalize it. Allow student athletes...or any student for that matter...to go out and seek sponsors. If they want to do the legwork and solicit sponsorships like kiddie league baseball teams do, then let the players go out and solicit. Put a limit on how much and that it must be done through a monitoring agency of some sort...like a newly created "Vol Sponsors"

Kids should be able to get $100 a week just to live life. Many kids have it with parents that can...but many do not. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for self sufficiency and all that good stuff, but if an athlete is giving his all and everyone else is making money off of him or her when he or she can't even work a part time job, then he or she should be able to eat and buy a pair of jeans. Especially since the NCAA has put so many restrictions on what student athletes can do. Let em have some tacos for goodness sakes!

Fade, that has been the best solution I've read so far. Add to it that funds can be took for discipline reasons and your good to go.

If these kids signed with a agent They'd lose so much money in their first contract. Jmot

They already receive a stipend check. It just needs to be a little more

I think they just need to be paid at what a normal college kid who can hold a job instead of using all their free time for the universities benefit.

A normal college kid can usually hold a job working 26-32 hours a week.. usually at minimum wage..

Since they are not allowed to have a job, they should be compensated equally..

250/wk.. take out taxes etc, just like any other kid has to pay.

It is fair compensation without going overboard.

Take all the under the table stuff...you know boosters giving athletes money...and legalize it. Allow student athletes...or any student for that matter...to go out and seek sponsors. If they want to do the legwork and solicit sponsorships like kiddie league baseball teams do, then let the players go out and solicit. Put a limit on how much and that it must be done through a monitoring agency of some sort...like a newly created "Vol Sponsors"

Kids should be able to get $100 a week just to live life. Many kids have it with parents that can...but many do not. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for self sufficiency and all that good stuff, but if an athlete is giving his all and everyone else is making money off of him or her when he or she can't even work a part time job, then he or she should be able to eat and buy a pair of jeans. Especially since the NCAA has put so many restrictions on what student athletes can do. Let em have some tacos for goodness sakes!

The grownups are going to do whatever lets them keep the most money but one idea might be to set up the compensation similar to the military pay structure. I went through the Navy's nuclear power training program and during the time I was given free room and board, free training, free healthcare, paid vacations, and a modest salary. As I got promotions I got raises. It would be an incentive to get on the 1st team? :)

My personal opinion is that if the school is making money off of their likeness (which they are with shirts, video games etc) then I think THAT athlete should receive revenue from that. Same for if a kid wants to sell autographs then I think he should be able to. The one theme is that the other athletes wont receive any money. Well, that is how the real world works!

VN Store

Back