License Plates in Kentucky

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
For some reason, I couldn't locate the thread of the guy who proudly obtained his S.C. plates with Vol support. In any case, he sparked me into looking into whether I could get the same here in ole Kentuck. The below is the result of my inquiry in case another Kentucky Vol wonders about the same:

Dear _________________

[FONT=&quot] Thank you for your inquiry into Kentucky’s laws on vehicle title and registration, specifically the issuance of specialty license plates. All non-profit organizations that are based or have a chapter in Kentucky are eligible to apply for the production of a new specialty license plate. Therefore; in accordance with the laws and regulations set by Kentucky Legislation any college or organizations that are exclusively located outside of Kentucky are not eligible to apply for a new specialty plate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Kentucky Revised Statute 186.164, states, in part, (9) A group wanting to create a special license plate that is not authorized under this chapter on June 20, 2005, shall comply with the following conditions before being eligible to apply for a special license plate: (a) The group shall be nonprofit and based, headquartered, or have a chapter in Kentucky; (b) The group may be organized for, but shall not be restricted to, social, civic, or entertainment purposes; (c) The group, or the group's lettering, logo, image, or message to be placed on the license plate, if created, shall not discriminate against any race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, and shall not be construed, as determined by the cabinet, as an attempt to victimize or intimidate any person due to the person's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing at the number below or e-mail me directly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Respectfully,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ami Lunsford[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Administrative Section Supervisor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Program Assistance Section[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]200 Mero Street[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frankfort, KY 40622[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phone: 502-564-1257[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fax: 502-696-1993[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ami.Lunsford@ky.gov[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Here in Kentucky.....we can have a license plate for coal power, but not for other niversities. Great job Kentucky.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish Tennessee would do the same. Our state is full of little a$$hats that don't have a single affiliation with Alabama, the state nor the university, and still cover the car in those Atlanta brave cursive A's and can get license plates. Those same people probably have another one for Kentucky they put on during basketball season.

Reactions: 7 people
I wish Tennessee would do the same. Our state is full of little a$$hats that don't have a single affiliation with Alabama, the state nor the university, and still cover the car in those Atlanta brave cursive A's and can get license plates. Those same people probably have another one for Kentucky they put on during basketball season.

Truth.

Ken Tu Cky...Indian translation is "place to dump trash and burnt couches"

oddly enough,it translates the same in Spanish,Latin,and ancient Egyptian...

It's a shame MTSU and FSU have the best looking Tennessee plate. IMO, we could do a lot better than the current UT ones.

the entire western side north of bowling green is cell tower free. Never driven so long with no phone, text or email, except when I was in Kenya in '79

Must be your carrier. My Sprint powered cell works fine when I drive up and down I-75, Rte 27/127, 150, and sometimes little backroads for a sight-seeing experience. Not to see trailer homes but the landscape which can be quite beautiful. In any case, whether in Jamestown. Somerset, Crab Orchard, or parts unknow and in between, my cell works. BUT BUT BUT sometimes it takes a while to connect. Then the very next text or call--BAM! it goes right through. Why? darn if I know. Maybe a satellite passed overhead.

Must be your carrier. My Sprint powered cell works fine when I drive up and down I-75, Rte 27/127, 150, and sometimes little backroads for a sight-seeing experience. Not to see trailer homes but the landscape which can be quite beautiful. In any case, whether in Jamestown. Somerset, Crab Orchard, or parts unknow and in between, my cell works. BUT BUT BUT sometimes it takes a while to connect. Then the very next text or call--BAM! it goes right through. Why? darn if I know. Maybe a satellite passed overhead.

I don't have issues with cell phone service either, and I have AT&T. And I have driven through Crab Orchard a ton of times…lived in Williamsburg and now in Wilmore, Ky.

For some reason, I couldn't locate the thread of the guy who proudly obtained his S.C. plates with Vol support. In any case, he sparked me into looking into whether I could get the same here in ole Kentuck. The below is the result of my inquiry in case another Kentucky Vol wonders about the same:

Dear _________________

[FONT=&quot] Thank you for your inquiry into Kentucky’s laws on vehicle title and registration, specifically the issuance of specialty license plates. All non-profit organizations that are based or have a chapter in Kentucky are eligible to apply for the production of a new specialty license plate. Therefore; in accordance with the laws and regulations set by Kentucky Legislation any college or organizations that are exclusively located outside of Kentucky are not eligible to apply for a new specialty plate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Kentucky Revised Statute 186.164, states, in part, (9) A group wanting to create a special license plate that is not authorized under this chapter on June 20, 2005, shall comply with the following conditions before being eligible to apply for a special license plate: (a) The group shall be nonprofit and based, headquartered, or have a chapter in Kentucky; (b) The group may be organized for, but shall not be restricted to, social, civic, or entertainment purposes; (c) The group, or the group's lettering, logo, image, or message to be placed on the license plate, if created, shall not discriminate against any race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, and shall not be construed, as determined by the cabinet, as an attempt to victimize or intimidate any person due to the person's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing at the number below or e-mail me directly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Respectfully,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ami Lunsford[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Administrative Section Supervisor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Program Assistance Section[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]200 Mero Street[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frankfort, KY 40622[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phone: 502-564-1257[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fax: 502-696-1993[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ami.Lunsford@ky.gov[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Sounds just like Illinois. One can only get college license plates for colleges located within the state. Oh well, it's just as well. We would just pick up another thing for the state to tax us on without seeing the tax money go to any good use. I'll settle for my Tennessee license plate frame, it's better than nothing.

the entire western side north of bowling green is cell tower free. Never driven so long with no phone, text or email, except when I was in Kenya in '79

I used to be a business school prof at WKU. I simply couldn't believe it when I would travel to teach there from Nashville. Whats also very strange is that when traveling up I-65, there is a 3-4 mile deadzone when crossing over into KY from TN. Going there is a bit like 1995.

Seems like a pretty easy policy to workaround. I assume Lexington has a UT Alumni Association, right? Instead of University of Tennessee plates, you do a plate based on a UTAA Chapter...

Reactions: 2 people

AT&T user here, and-frequent traveler on business into West Kentucky (from West Tennessee).

I've had no reception problems north & west of BG for the past 5-10 years. Madisonville, Owensboro, Henderson, Paducah and lots of smaller communities along the Western Kentucky, Green River, Pennyrile, or Jackson Purchase Parkways (yes-they're all renamed after politicians now) are well served.

I don't even notice dead spots anymore.

Don't count on Kentucky to print out-of-state schools specialty tags; just buy one for the front of your vehicle when in Tennessee.

VN Store

Back