Vols #1 tailgating school in the country per Bleacher Report

That's pretty neat, but if you ask 30 different people about this they would have 30 different answers.

It's kind of like that #1 party school ranking. It's very subjective.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess I will have to change my opinion of BR now that they have us #1 at something...(nah, it's still an amateur outfit) The only reason they cite is the Vol Navy which only a small percentage of fans can take part in. I think we are a great place to tailgate but it's more because of our massive numbers and how easy it is to drink close to the stadium without being harassed by the police unlike some places such as Florida. This list also includes 7 SEC schools in the top 10 which could indicate either some bias or a limited range of experience.

That's pretty neat, but if you ask 30 different people about this they would have 30 different answers.

now if UT just had both awards at the same time :td::baloon::givemebeer::beerf::toast:

Now let's hope Butch can give us a football team to match the zeal of the fan base.

Reactions: 2 people
UT is a great place to tailgate ... if you are rich. The Vol Navy and the parking near the stadium seemed reserved for the affluent. The strip is a decent place to find adult beverages but most tailgating is tough on the average fan. It is not a diabolical plan, it is reality. The fairground at South Carolina is a real asset for tailgating but they have a horrible stadium to watch a game.

I will continue to tailgate at Neyland but I won't make believe it is #1.

This list also includes 7 SEC schools in the top 10 which could indicate either some bias or a limited range of experience.

About the author:

"Since 1995 the University of Arizona graduate has covered numerous sports and teams at all levels, including Arizona basketball, football and softball, minor league baseball and high school sports. He has nearly 19 years of experience in print media, including stints at two daily newspapers and one alternative weekly in the Tucson area. He writes a sports column for the Tucson Weekly, and his freelance work has been published throughout the U.S."

Nb4 "it's just bleacher report"

While I understand this sentiment about BR, I have read several unbiased articles there as well. I read the article and consider the source before passing judgement. Jmo, I could be wrong.

Take it with a grain of salt considering the source. But let's be real here; Tennessee has a unique experience no matter how one looks at it.

Add another piece of award hardware for:
#1 Butt-Chugging School!!!

I never understood the whole fascination with tailgating before a game...until I started joining in with friends, and it really does make the gameday experience that much better, at least IMO, and ive been in different areas around the campus, and on the strip, and it seems to be pretty awesome wherever you go. Just another way to add to the gameday experience, spend some time with friends, enjoy good food and cold beer. IMO I couldn't imagine anywhere being any better than Knoxville on football game day.

Not really. He quantifies the ranking with legitimate, tangible aspects of the gameday experience. The Stadium being right on the river, and the VolNavy. Having a "Yacht-Club" element to the experience greatly enhances the whole affair. Even if you aren't lucky enough to be invited onto one of the boats. It's still a cool sight to behold....especially when Big Orange bikini's are factored in (late Aug -Sept). :)

Combine it with the massive size of Neyland + the scenery + electric atmosphere...no other school offers that.

Last edited:
Are there Vol Navy "rules" ? Would they let me tie up my canoe amongst them? :question: I somehow doubt it.

VN Store

Back