Bobby Denton, Neyland PA announcer

UT_Dutchman

VOLS
Lab Rat
From what a buddy at work who knows these guys says Mr. Denton is not doing very well and needs our prayers.
Per sports animal he has passed away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Prayers for a speedy recovery...........

"It's football time in Tennessee"

"Today's concession prices are found on page 99 of your souvenir program book. We urge you to pay these prices and please pay no more"

Reactions: 22 people
Oh Lord, we need to ask you to give your healing powers to a member of our community who is struggling. Lord, we do not always understand your ways, but we know that you have the power to restore health to a man who means a lot to us. Bless this good man, Lord.
Amen.

Reactions: 20 people
The classic UT PA line--and yet it makes no sense. Nobody pays more than the concession price, since it is listed. Were people getting ripped off 50 years ago? In any case, best wishes to Mr. Denton and his family--a true Vol.

Reactions: 2 people
It is my understanding that the purpose of the phrase was to get patrons to pay the exact amount due and, by so doing, mitigate the number of calculations, change having to be made, etc. In essence, to move the crowd through the lines quickly. Regardless, the phrase has become iconic in UT athletic lore. Get well soon, Bobby!

Oh Lord, we need to ask you to give your healing powers to a member of our community who is struggling. Lord, we do not always understand your ways, but we know that you have the power to restore health to a man who means a lot to us. Bless this good man, Lord.
Amen.

Dear Lord, thank you for creating the chick in this guy's avatar. We praise you, oh Lord, for thou hath created a work of art. Oh, and please heal Bobby Denton too if it's in your will.

Amen.

Reactions: 6 people
I was glad when he finally stopped lying and inflating the home attendence numbers!

The classic UT PA line--and yet it makes no sense. Nobody pays more than the concession price, since it is listed. Were people getting ripped off 50 years ago? In any case, best wishes to Mr. Denton and his family--a true Vol.

You arent an RA at UCONN by any chance, are you?

Amen.

Amen!

It is my understanding that the purpose of the phrase was to get patrons to pay the exact amount due and, by so doing, mitigate the number of calculations, change having to be made, etc. In essence, to move the crowd through the lines quickly. Regardless, the phrase has become iconic in UT athletic lore. Get well soon, Bobby!
I thought it was to stop the concession people in the stands from charging a higher price, and keeping the difference.

Hate to hear this. Praying he recovers.

Also hate to hear some of the comments in this thread.

Reactions: 13 people
I thought it was to stop the concession people in the stands from charging a higher price, and keeping the difference.

I remember him doing that back in the mid 80s. It just kinda caught on and stuck.

Yeah, when it started, I think he was telling us not to tip the concession guys working in the stands.

Get well soon, Bobby! We'll be praying for you.

I looked it up and Bobby has been announcing since 1967. I didn't know this but 1967 was also the first year I attended a game at Neyland - Tulane. I think this man is an icon of Tennessee football.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember him doing that back in the mid 80s. It just kinda caught on and stuck.

he was doing it in the mid 70's and I would imagine way back in the late 60's. It kinda caught on many decades ago and will always be a legend for those over 40 IMO.:hi:

Yeah, when it started, I think he was telling us not to tip the concession guys working in the stands.

That phrase is way older than the mid 80s! I remember it from the early 70s at least

Reactions: 1 person

he was doing it in the mid 70's and I would imagine way back in the late 60's. It kinda caught on many decades ago and will always be a legend for those over 40 IMO.:hi:

Heard that!

I don't remember him doing it in the mid-70s. But, I may have killed off that brain cell.

It seems that he did it at the Wichita State State game in 1983ish

VN Store

Back