Wayne Gretzky a Vol.fan?

Sin City Vol

I was at the Michael Jordan Invitational today and Gretzkys caddie saw my Orange T on my polo and they stopped to talk to me about UT football. Come to find out the great one knew a lot about the Vols and his caddie is from Jackson....cool experience.

Reactions: 9 people
Yes. Gretzky was probably more transcendant, and did more to make the game viable nationally, but he wasn't Bobby Orr.

I don't know why we're talking about Hockey on a vols forum, but as great as Bobby Orr was, Gretzky is the greatest player ever to play hockey. I've never seen anyone in ANY SPORT that has a faster internal clock and physical skills to match. There will NEVER be another player that will be better that Gretzky.

Reactions: 2 people
Orr was the first really skilled player in what had previously been largely a simpleton's sport. He's the Babe Ruth of hockey, in that he transformed the sport.

But Wayne Gretzky was an assist man with an accountant's body and yet he somehow owns every goal-scoring record that there is too. He was transcendent. God only knows what he could have done if he'd been 6-4, 240 like Mario Lemieux. I don't see how you can argue for anyone other than Gretzky unless you're a Bruins fan, a Penguins fan, or being deliberately contrarian.

Reactions: 5 people
I just wanna know if Paulina Gretzky is a Vols fan? I'd be happy to share my Vol spirit with her.

Reactions: 5 people
Orr was the first really skilled player in what had previously been largely a simpleton's sport. He's the Babe Ruth of hockey, in that he transformed the sport.

But Wayne Gretzky was an assist man with an accountant's body and yet he somehow owns every goal-scoring record that there is too. He was transcendent. God only knows what he could have done if he'd been 6-4, 240 like Mario Lemieux. I don't see how you can argue for anyone other than Gretzky unless you're a Bruins fan, a Penguins fan, or being deliberately contrarian.

I don't agree, but you have a sound argument. One might argue that Orr's dominance from end to end helped usher in the fast and loose era which saw the massive point totals of the 80's, where teams so focused on including their back end in the attack that they neglected defensive hockey, whereas Bobby was dominant as a defender, distributor, and scorer. By no means am I discounting 99 in any way.

But I'll leave it for another day, so ends my cameo in the FF.

Terry Sawchuk is better. The guy was a goaltender who could stop anything. He didn't wear barely any padding. It's damn insane what hockey was like.

Nobody on here are deliberately contrarians.:unsure:

Reactions: 1 person
I've always wondered how good Mario Lemieux would have ended up if it wasn't for him having to stop playing for that period of time due to Leukemia, I think it was. Orr was revolutionary for the game however Gretzky was the Michael Jordan of Hockey. Just un real.

I think Wayne Gretzky was better at hockey than anybody else I've ever seen was at anything else.

Yea he was pretty incredible. He could just see the play before it happened. I wonder how many more cups he could have won if he hadn't been traded to LA. I agree with the above statement. Only two others come to mind: Tiger in his prime and Roger Federer.

I've always wondered how good Mario Lemieux would have ended up if it wasn't for him having to stop playing for that period of time due to Leukemia, I think it was. Orr was revolutionary for the game however Gretzky was the Michael Jordan of Hockey. Just un real.
Old time hockey..... Eddie Shore.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the Michael Jordan Invitational today and Gretzkys caddie saw my Orange T on my polo and they stopped to talk to me about UT football. Come to find out the great one knew a lot about the Vols and his caddie is from Jackson....cool experience.

Hopefully his hot looking daughter is a Vol Fan too!!!

Wayne Gretzky is to Michael Jordan as Bobby Orr is to Bill Russell.

One was the best to ever play their respective sports, the other, as a defender, completely changed the way the game was played

I think Wayne Gretzky was better at hockey than anybody else I've ever seen was at anything else.

I still think Jordan was better than Gretzky overall though.

VN Store

Back