Reviews from Practice on Tuesday

mscox75

I went to the Tennessee Baseball game with my son and I was able to catch the last 45 minutes of practice. They were strictly doing red zone offense. Here is my recap....

Dobbs: Really can run the read option well.....he through the ball on target but it is a Peyton Manning type spiral. One play he faked the hand off right and took of running, right before line of scrimmage the corner and DE broke on Dobbs and he flipped a swing pass to Devrin out of the backfield for a touch down. It was sweet.

Worley: Not much review....I don't see much change. Didn't score in 3 trips in the red zone.

Peterman: If this boy could translate his practice into the game, he is our starter. Scored twice in 3 possessions and man he has a strong arm. Threw a 25 yard bullet to Croom on a seam route. Threw it where only Croom could catch.

Ferguson: I have followed Fergy since his recruitment and he is my favorite, however, he over threw recievers to much and couldn't move the ball much. Had a touch down to Pearson in the right corner end zone but over threw it.

My take as of today, Dobbs and Peterman looked the best. Fergy has the prettiest past I've seen in a while. Peterman and Fergy throw it the hardest. Dobbs does best read option, Peterman would be second.

RBs: Hurd is as advertised and Justis Pickett is FAST. Devrin looked natural back there.

I don't remember much more except Sutton and Coleman had some nice pass break ups.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the read....I was pumped to see some football.

Shano out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
Thanks mscox. Good read.

Those Peterman comments should provide some good.....discussions.

Myself I hope he gets the chance.

Last edited:
Thanks mscox. I know it was only one brief observation, allow me to exploit your comments with obvious personal bias.

Dobbs' play seems, and I do stress seems to reinforce my past claims. If the OL proves to be an area of weakness, Butch will go with Dobbs because we need his wheels to save plays. Not necessarily that Dobbs is the better QB, but the best option for the team's situation--an unreliable or at least unproven OL.

Peterman, I'm not surprised at what you saw. The folks beating up on him don't know what they're talking about. Butch recruited him while at Cincy for good reason. The Florida incident was just plain rotten luck. I now think Jones wanted to beat Florida so bad, he made a desperate decision. Because outside of Bama, a win against the Gators would have put fans in his corner like nothing else. Throwing that kid to a pack of starving reptiles playing defense was not a good idea, plus I think he injured his thumb in this game. So seeing what you saw is no great surprise and I'm thrilled.

Ferguson? Behind a solid OL and with the receivers we got, I think he'd pick most defenses apart like a grizzly rummaging through through a house where someone left the backdoor open. I honestly believe we have another Tyler Bray but without the attitude.

Worley? I like the guy despite everything. So will just say time will judge him more fairly than we will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
My take is that we have four quality QBs that are serviceable and could win some games (which is better than most teams). But none of them has taken the reigns yet and prove they are the guy who can lead us back to the top. That guy might be on campus, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe we have enough weapons at RB and elsewhere that we won't need an elite QB. We will see.

Good read.

I went to the Tennessee Baseball game with my son and I was able to catch the last 45 minutes of practice. They were strictly doing red zone offense. Here is my recap....

Dobbs: Really can run the read option well.....he through the ball on target but it is a Peyton Manning type spiral. One play he faked the hand off right and took of running, right before line of scrimmage the corner and DE broke on Dobbs and he flipped a swing pass to Devrin out of the backfield for a touch down. It was sweet.

Worley: Not much review....I don't see much change. Didn't score in 3 trips in the red zone.

Peterman: If this boy could translate his practice into the game, he is our starter. Scored twice in 3 possessions and man he has a strong arm. Threw a 25 yard bullet to Croom on a seam route. Threw it where only Croom could catch.

Ferguson: I have followed Fergy since his recruitment and he is my favorite, however, he over threw recievers to much and couldn't move the ball much. Had a touch down to Pearson in the right corner end zone but over threw it.

My take as of today, Dobbs and Peterman looked the best. Fergy has the prettiest past I've seen in a while. Peterman and Fergy throw it the hardest. Dobbs does best read option, Peterman would be second.

RBs: Hurd is as advertised and Justis Pickett is FAST. Devrin looked natural back there.

I don't remember much more except Sutton and Coleman had some nice pass break ups.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the read....I was pumped to see some football.

Shano out!

Yeah I am happy about Peterman. Like you highlighted him and Dobbs are the best options for our offense.

My take is that we have four quality QBs that are serviceable and could win some games (which is better than most teams). But none of them has taken the reigns yet and prove they are the guy who can lead us back to the top. That guy might be on campus, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe we have enough weapons at RB and elsewhere that we won't need an elite QB. We will see.

Good read.

At the risk of having my head removed and fed to a goat, I think we have two and possibly three elite QBs. Now that we have receivers who know how to run their routes to go along with their obvious talent, we just need a real OL. Without an OL that can protect those QBs, being elite doesn't amount to much. Which is why CBJ talked about picking a guy who can make something out of nothing when plays break down. When that happens, your play is no longer a designed play but a wildcat or backyard football play. Butch slipped his hand by showing what kind of QB he believes he needs right now. But once that OL becomes consistent, any one of the three I have in mind would demonstrate their elite level.

To get a whiff of what I mean, think of the QBs Steve Spurrier has had the past few years. They weren't elite but they could take busted plays and make them pay off.

Last edited:
Thanks mscox. I know it was only one brief observation, allow me to exploit your comments with obvious personal bias.

Dobbs' play seems, and I do stress seems to reinforce my past claims. If the OL proves to be an area of weakness, Butch will go with Dobbs because we need his wheels to save plays. Not necessarily that Dobbs is the better QB, but the best option for the team's situation--an unreliable or at least unproven OL.

Peterman, I'm not surprised at what you saw. The folks beating up on him don't know what they're talking about. Butch recruited him while at Cincy for good reason. The Florida incident was just plain rotten luck. I now think Jones wanted to beat Florida so bad, he made a desperate decision. Because outside of Bama, a win against the Gators would have put fans in his corner like nothing else. Throwing that kid to a pack of starving reptiles playing defense was not a good idea, plus I think he injured his thumb in this game. So seeing what you saw is no great surprise and I'm thrilled.

Ferguson? Behind a solid OL and with the receivers we got, I think he'd pick most defenses apart like a grizzly rummaging through through a house where someone left the backdoor open. I honestly believe we have another Tyler Bray but without the attitude.

Worley? I like the guy despite everything. So will just say time will judge him more fairly than we will.

Im going to say it. I think Dobbs and Ferguson are both good QB's. Every scrimmage I've been too both have shown up more often than the others. While Riley has superior arm strength that's about it. We all know arm strength is nice but more things manner.

Last edited:
Im going to say it. I think Dobbs and Ferguson are both good QB's. Every scrimmage I've been too he has shown up more often than the others. While Riley has superior arm strength that's about it. We all know arm strength is nice but more things manner.

Pardon, sir. Clarify "he."

Reactions: 2 people

Broke his thumb on his throwing hand, stayed in the game. But IMO, the toughness hurt us because he ended up throwing a complete duck to a Florida DT in the redzone.

Broke his thumb on his throwing hand, stayed in the game. But IMO, the toughness hurt us because he ended up throwing a complete duck to a Florida DT in the redzone.

Comment: His staying in the game with the broken thumb might be either on him or Jones. Peterman if he didn't say anything. Jones if he knew but left him in. Rather than beat the kid up, understand him. The chance to be THE QB is an opportunity you don't want to slip by. So making detrimental decisions, especially at that age is understandable. Marlin Lane just recently admitted he did this as early back as high school and at the UT. His injures over his career, lingered because of this attitude, he freely admits. typical of young players. So if Peterman said nothing, it's quite typical for anxious young players.

Question: When you quote a post, why doesn't the quoted poster's name appear in the quote?

Peterman could very well be the dark horse in this race. Everyone has different qualities which makes this more exciting.

Good read.

I see this is as we have 4 really avg qbs and no has separated themself from the pack.

Do you really think UT is in better shape qb wise than the upper teams in the SEC?

I've always said that despite last year's debacle, we haven't seen the last of Nathan Peterman. He's a good kid and I hope he gets his shot. And, I still think Worley gets the start against USU, probably by default.

I've always said that despite last year's debacle, we haven't seen the last of Nathan Peterman. He's a good kid and I hope he gets his shot. And, I still think Worley gets the start against USU, probably by default.

I agree with you but you know how fans are these days. Hell, Peyton Manning would have been labled a bust by many on here his FR year.

I agree with you but you know how fans are these days. Hell, Peyton Manning would have been labled a bust by many on here his FR year.

89/144 1141 yards 11TD 6INT

I doubt anyone would be calling that a bust. I get you're being edgy but compare that with:

Peterman 4/25 45 yards 0TD 2 INT

Dobbs 72/121 695 yards 2TD 6INT

And you'll see why. I'd have loved to have had Peyton Manning type numbers from a FR QB. The last good FR QB we had was Erik Ainge:

109/198 1,452 yards 17TD 9INT

I just wish one would separate. To me, the fact that it's still a four man race means that nobody is better at this point than the best of what we saw from Worley last year......and that's starting to really concern me.

89/144 1141 yards 11TD 6INT

I doubt anyone would be calling that a bust. I get you're being edgy but compare that with:

Peterman 4/25 45 yards 0TD 2 INT

Dobbs 72/121 695 yards 2TD 6INT

And you'll see why. I'd have loved to have had Peyton Manning type numbers from a FR QB. The last good FR QB we had was Erik Ainge:

109/198 1,452 yards 17TD 9INT

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

I just wish one would separate. To me, the fact that it's still a four man race means that nobody is better at this point than the best of what we saw from Worley last year......and that's starting to really concern me.

or we truly have 4 good qb's on hand.

or we truly have 4 good qb's on hand.

Is that what you saw last year from Dobbs, Peterman, and Worley. I just hope its tight because they are all improving greatly, not because each QB still has glaring issues.

Where does the bolded come from? Just because they are all competitive with one another this off season does not mean that they have not improved from last season. Perhaps they have all made huge strides and CBJ is waiting to see who the best of the best is.

Reactions: 1 person
Where does the bolded come from? Just because they are all competitive with one another this off season does not mean that they have not improved from last season. Perhaps they have all made huge strides and CBJ is waiting to see who the best of the best is.

Read my post above yours.

Is that what you saw last year from Dobbs, Peterman, and Worley. I just hope its tight because they are all improving greatly, not because each QB still has glaring issues.

New system for two guys and a freshman thrown in vs Bama. I think its lots of growth.

VN Store

Back