Game against West Virginia in Charlotte coming?

CagleMtnVol

The Charleston Gazette | Tennessee, Virginia Tech seem on WVU football horizon

Tennessee To Play West Virginia?

Non-conference neutral site games are becoming a yearly deal for most collegiate programs.

The Tennessee Volunteers, who are already scheduled to play Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016, are reportedly finalizing a deal with West Virginia to play in Charlotte in 2018.

This is according a report from the Charleston Gazette.

Luck said in the future WVU will have to face a schedule that presents a challenge each week — a la the NFL. Toward that end, he’s whittled down a previously announced series with East Carolina and is finalizing a neutral-site game against Tennessee in Charlotte, N.C.

“We’re close to finalizing a deal to play Tennessee in Charlotte in 2018,”
Hammond said. “That would give us a marquee game in a marquee venue. It would be exciting for the fans and the team.”

Tennessee has never played West Virginia before, although they do have some ties to the Mountaineers.

Vols head coach Butch Jones was the wide receivers coach from 2005-2006 at West Virginia, while UT running backs coach Robert Gillespie served in the same capacity at West Virginia from 2011-2012.

Strength and conditioning coach Dave Lawson also spent seven years at West Virginia.

The Vols do not currently have any non-conference opponents scheduled in 2018. They do, however, have a home-and-home series scheduled with UCONN that was pushed back to accommodate the “Battle at Bristol”
It was rumored that Tennessee was looking at playing a game in Charlotte when they announced that Tennessee would open the 2015 season in Nashville against UAB.

North Carolina and the Charlotte area is a key recruiting area for this staff like the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area is so a game there makes sense.

Coach Jones and staff has got several big time players out of North Carolina in just the last couple of years notably Marquez North, Riley Ferguson and just this spring 4-star RB Derrell Scott and Emmanuel Moseley and several big time 2015 guys like DT Shy Tuttle and RB Bryce Love are on Tennessee's radar!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I like these decent out of conference games, but I prefer a home and home series. I never really understood why teams like uga and Fl played at a neutral site. That game would be a lot more interesting if it were a home and home series....Maybe its just me, but either way I'll be cheering for the Vols for the W.

Reactions: 5 people
The crazy part is that, to me atleast, is that this will be the first ever meeting between the two teams. Per that article, hopefully it'll be a good one.

Reactions: 1 person
Awesome. I've been wanting to see us play WVU for a long time now. Should've happened sooner, given the proximities of each school to the other.

I'd love a home and home with WVU. Would be fun to go to a game up there. But Charlotte is pretty neat too.

I like the idea of playing WV, but Charlotte is a boring city. The NASCAR hall of fame is about the only thing to do there.

The crazy part is that, to me atleast, is that this will be the first ever meeting between the two teams. Per that article, hopefully it'll be a good one.

I agree. Kinda hard to believe this would be the first meeting between the two teams.

Personally I think it's a good idea. NC has been key for UT, not just this current staff, and will probably continue to be key for UT forever. It's just throwing the area a bone in a sense. I think the home team can use it as a recruiting trip for recruits too, so that is a huge benefit if we r the "home" team. Iirc that's the way th TX/OU game is, so not sure if these 1 time games follow that rule too.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The Charleston Gazette | Tennessee, Virginia Tech seem on WVU football horizon

It was rumored that Tennessee was looking at playing a game in Charlotte when they announced that Tennessee would open the 2015 season in Nashville against UAB.

North Carolina and the Charlotte area is a key recruiting area for this staff like the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area is so a game there makes sense.

Coach Jones and staff has got several big time players out of North Carolina in just the last couple of years notably Marquez North, Riley Ferguson and just this spring 4-star RB Derrell Scott and Emmanuel Moseley and several big time 2015 guys like DT Shy Tuttle and RB Bryce Love!

When did Shy Tuttle and Bryce Love committ???

When did Shy Tuttle and Bryce Love committ???

And isn't The Ferg a Dooley commit?? So he Jones didn't "get him out of there" he was already coming. North is fuzzy here too but have a feeling he was a UT lean or commit prior to CBJ too.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So excited about this game since I live here in Charlotte. Whoever said Charlotte is boring does not know what they are talking about. Lots more to do here than the damn Nascar Hall of Fame. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I like the idea of playing WV, but Charlotte is a boring city. The NASCAR hall of fame is about the only thing to do there.

For a Nascar fan maybe.

We've got plenty of great golf, tons of family venues, Carowinds, and a lot of great shopping areas. Plus Charlotte is a beautiful city.

Reactions: 1 person
OMG..my in-laws are from WV and always talk trash to me about my Vols. This is GREAT news... As long as we win. Lol

VN Store

Back