walk-on Jacob Gilliam bidding for Tiny's LT spot

kamoshika

For the past few practices, Gilliam has been Tennessee's first-team left tackle...

"Nothing is guaranteed, ever, especially for a walk-on," Gilliam said after the Vols practiced Tuesday. "Anybody out there that's been a walk-on knows that. You've got to come to work every day no matter how you feel or what it's like, and you've got to outwork somebody that obviously they've invested a lot of time and money into.

"That's what I just try to come with every day, knowing that at a moment's notice I could be replaced."

Unless Dontavius Blair, a touted junior college transfer who joined the Vols in January, picks it up the final two weeks of spring practice, Gilliam's status might stick as the Vols try to find a replacement for the departed Tiny Richardson.

UT Vols walk-on Jacob Gilliam bidding for Tiny spot | Times Free Press

Reactions: 1 person
I stated a long time ago that I thought Blair was a better RT then LT and I got blitzed. Blair is extremely out of shape right now, but his best asset to this team is his run blocking. If he doesn't get his crap together we are going to be very vulnerable at LT this year. We need Blair's run blocking on our line this year. He plays with a mean streak, but right now he's just really, really out of shape.

I stated a long time ago that I thought Blair was a better RT then LT and I got blitzed. Blair is extremely out of shape right now, but his best asset to this team is his run blocking. If he doesn't get his crap together we are going to be very vulnerable at LT this year. We need Blair's run blocking on our line this year. He plays with a mean streak, but right now he's just really, really out of shape.

So pretty much an unprepared bust, so far, that sucks. :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
How is it that all these "busts" always occur on our roster and not our rivals?!?

He won't be a bust as he can easily move to RT and excel, but we at VolNation get this idea that JuCo LT should dominate at LT in the SEC, and that's simply not true. I watched all of his films I could, and this guy is a monster run blocker. He'd block guys 20 yards down field, but how many great WDE did he play against? From what I saw he was just dominate in JuCo due to size and his mean streak.

Maybe Gilliam is just pretty damn good. Its not easy for a walk on to get into the starting rotation and I'm sure that Blair isn't his only scholarship completion.

Reactions: 9 people
How is it that all these "busts" always occur on our roster and not our rivals?!?

Because you follow UT and not everyone else. Every team has massive amounts of busts. They all come in the form of transfers, encouragements to look elsewhere, "going to grad school," etc. It's really called, "Get the hell out of here."

Reactions: 5 people
I would not say that he is a bust, but he has a lot of time between now and August to get in shape.

"Bust" meaning that a "touted" JUNIOR isn't ready to be 1st team, even in preseason PRACTICE. You normally discover a "bust" in game time situations (Peterman, our OL last year, Dobbs, etc..), but a "touted" player normally comes in and works his tail off in practice (or is a freak of nature like CP) to live up to expectations, and earn the starting spot. So to come in and be replaced by a walk-on in just a couple of short weeks had to say something..

I will wait for all spots until the depth chart is released the Thursday prior to Utah State

Last edited:
Seems like JC skill position players have an easier time adjusting to big boy football than lineman. They almost always show up out of shape and lacking in the strength and conditioning category.

How long can it take a 20 year old who has been an athlete his whole life to get into shape? Surely not longer than a couple of months. A young man with his obvious talent should respond quickly to work outs I would think?

Well he has 6 months to get in shape, and if he does not he is not the answer.:ermm:

How long can it take a 20 year old who has been an athlete his whole life to get into shape? Surely not longer than a couple of months. A young man with his obvious talent should respond quickly to work outs I would think?

Basically what I was saying. Maybe his "obvious talent" was exaggerated in order to recruit, fill the depth chart, and cover CBJ's a$$ for not recruiting the position. It's like all the hype around CP, and then him showing up and not getting that starting job. Kind of strange..

If he's out of shape, that's one thing but bust implies that he never has and never will "cut it" and we just don't know that yet. I'm sure the staff is using Gilliam as a bit of a motivational tool for Blair. If he wants it bad enough, he'll get in shape, work harder, learn the blocking schemes, and become a reliable starter for us. IF he doesn't want it bad enough, the walk-ons or less touted scholarship players will play over him. It happens everywhere.

Question is he that good or we are that bad, and if the answer is bad then its going to be a long year, got to have good tackles at both spots where we can at least run the ball, if we don't throw the ball any better than last year we wont average 10 points a game in the SEC and that wont get it.

was you able to avoid the blitz

Question is he that good or we are that bad, and if the answer is bad then its going to be a long year, got to have good tackles at both spots where we can at least run the ball, if we don't throw the ball any better than last year we wont average 10 points a game in the SEC and that wont get it.

This...

Gave me a migraine.

If he's out of shape, that's one thing but bust implies that he never has and never will "cut it" and we just don't know that yet. I'm sure the staff is using Gilliam as a bit of a motivational tool for Blair. If he wants it bad enough, he'll get in shape, work harder, learn the blocking schemes, and become a reliable starter for us. IF he doesn't want it bad enough, the walk-ons or less touted scholarship players will play over him. It happens everywhere.

Hopefully he comes through and is a monster like everyone originally thought. If he doesn't, we'd call that another recruiting "bust".

Hopefully he comes through and is a monster like everyone originally thought. If he doesn't, we'd call that another recruiting "bust".

They have only had 9 practices, he will get there. I highly doubt Blair will not start come August. Now Woody Quinn, he CAN be considered a bust.

Basically what I was saying. Maybe his "obvious talent" was exaggerated in order to recruit, fill the depth chart, and cover CBJ's a$$ for not recruiting the position. It's like all the hype around CP, and then him showing up and not getting that starting job. Kind of strange..

Stranger still is the sheer volume of conspiracy theories hatched on here....SUP INTERNET?!? :rock2:

My understanding the team up to this point has been working on a strength regimen and the conditioning part begins after spring training. If it is a conditioning issue he may be fine. I don't believe the run blocking is a problem, but poor conditioning and learning how to pick up blitzes and formations he has never seen could be. Gilliam has seen different defenses for 4 years and has an advantage in that respect. Hopefully he can get up to speed this summer. If not, move him to RT and try to find a patch for LT.

VN Store

Back