Tuesday, April 1st Practice

PassedOutAwake

R.I.P RichRollin
Figured I would go ahead and start the thread for todays practice.

Ill start it with this pic

Vol Photos ‏@Vol_Photos 3m
Curt Maggitt is back - pic.twitter.com/YxZ1wcJt94
BkK0cbGCUAAWqy4.jpg

Reactions: 48 people
He is one of the biggest additions this coming season. AJ and him being able to come back is not only good for depth but also to teach these incoming Freshman. Teach them how to play some SEC caliber, big boy football.

Reactions: 6 people
hope he hasn't lost that speed by putting on those LBs. I am really excited about he and AJ along with Wetherford and others....

"Fundamental Tuesday" was the theme on Haslam Field as Tennessee conducted its ninth practice session of its 2014 spring camp.

Tennessee also welcomed back former coach and All-American Johnny Majors, who only recently was released from the hospital following heart surgery. The Vols also had a number of donors present on the practice field Tuesday as well.

The Vols, working for the first time since Saturday's scrimmage inside Neyland Stadium, were put through a gauntlet of various fundamental drills, from receivers and running backs working on staying low by having to dart under running chutes to defensive backs repeatedly drilled on stripping and recovering loose footballs.

Quarterbacks worked closely with wideouts and tight ends, with Butch Jones very involved in that segment of practice in the early going. Jones was coaching up tight ends and barking instructions.

Jones had earlier gotten his players' attention with some three-on-three work from the immediate outset. Jalen Hurd made a solid run during that segment while Jakob Johnson also notched a couple of stops.

-VQ

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1627082

Reactions: 1 person
Notes and observations from UT's Tuesday practice | Nooga.com

Injury update:
• Out: WR Ryan Jenkins, DT Trevarris Saulsberry, TE Brendan Downs, TE A.J. Branisel, S Brian Randolph, WR Drae Bowles, DT Jason Carr
• Limited: CB Justin Coleman, WR Marquez North
Other notes/observations:
• Jones started out practice by firing up the defense. Wearing the white practice uniforms, Jones told the defense it was because they are “soft as a marshmallow.”
• The team did a 3-on-3 drill where two offense linemen took on two D-linemen with a running back and a linebacker behind each respective side. Alden Hill had perhaps the best run of the drill when he squeezed through the pile and escaped for a clear victory. It was a physical drill, evidenced by the fact that two linemen – Allan Carson and Austin Sanders – both limped away from it.
• The defense had the upper hand in one-on-one battles between receivers and defensive backs. Devaun Swafford, who has seen reps as a first-team safety in spring practice, intercepted a pass intended for Alex Ellis and, though he stepped out of bounds, he still ran it the length of the field and celebrated a defensive touchdown. Emmanuel Moseley had great coverage on receiver Josh Smith on another rep. Jason Croom had the best rep for the offense, clearly beating safety LaDarrell McNeil to the inside for an easy touchdown.
• Freshman running back Jalen Hurd, already wearing a heavy brace on his shoulder, has added a large pad to his left elbow. He continues to practice at full speed, but clearly is being bothered by some minor issues.

Tennessee Football ‏@Vol_Football 3m
JONES: we took some great strides in terms of our tempo offensively. We ran the football. I saw improvement in QB position.

I hope our D-line starts stepping up soon or at least by the Summer. I hope this undersized D-lineman experiment works.

Tennessee Football ‏@Vol_Football 4m
Jones: We have to put the RBs in position to succeed. Marlin Lane is in position to be a leader and he's playing the way a senior should.

Tennessee Football ‏@Vol_Football 3m
Jones: we want to dictate tempo on offense. We have made improvement. It is a B- after being a D- after the first scrimmage.

Read Johnny Majors was at practice.

According to VQ, Hurd had a solid run and Jakob Johnson has a couple of stops. Stafford intercepted a Peterman pass. Carr worked with a huge club on his wrist and Gillam worked ahead of Blair on OL.

Also worth noting that Hurd has a brace on his left elbow. North and Coleman wore green jerseys.

Jones: Curt playing LEO, we are asking a lot of him. We are asking him to put his hand down since he's been an LB since he was 7 years old

Jones: I don't think I have been a part of a program where you have to rely on newcomers at so many positions. They will play at LB, DL, OL

Jones: It's a great opportunity to attract the best in recruiting. You will have a chance to play a lot early on at Tennessee.

Jones on QB: I want to see them manage every situation. Be able to create plays when there is nothing there. Really take care of Ball.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back