What is the '63' offense that Butch and Azzanni keep talking about ?

volmandu

I have heard few mentions of it. Googled it ..nothing. I know Azzanni said something about this being related to tempo but could anyone with knowledge please explain?

AZZANNI: We have taken a giant step forward w/our speed. We play ’63’ that’s what makes us different. We are a different offense tempo-wise

Reactions: 1 person
3 great efforts for 6 seconds

Some kind of efforts, maybe the word isn't great

6 seconds to make 3 great efforts, whatever

Reactions: 2 people
60 seconds to get off 3 plays

No

Edit: math works as they are doing a 20 sec play clock in practice this year but not what it meant last year, they had stickers all over locker complex etc of 63 and meant above I mentioned

Last edited:
44DivePlay : I am confused ..so we are actually practicing 6 second play clock for each play ..It true that must be crazy ..It would be really exciting to watch ..

The meaning behind '63' is fairly simple. Each football play takes an average of six seconds to complete. In that six seconds, Butch Jones wants three great efforts. It's not a new concept around the program, it's something that has been ingrained in the players from day one. But it became an emphasis once again on Tuesday, with 120 '63' decals placed all over the complex.

From a story last year.

Reactions: 3 people
It's not an offense or a scheme, just a philosophy of effort. 6 seconds, 3 great efforts. Textbook Butch Jones motivational material. They made a point of preaching it to Big Dan McCullers last year.

Its a new Recruit that runs 6.3 100 yard dash, so far the players name has not been released but from what I understand the guy is extremely fast that not many D players have been able to catch him in practice.

Reactions: 1 person
As long as they don't hold 6 fingers up like Franklin did at Vandy every play.

3 great efforts for 6 seconds

Some kind of efforts, maybe the word isn't great

6 seconds to make 3 great efforts, whatever

This is the answer. Has to do with effort, not play clock or offensive scheme. Applies to defensive players as well. 3 great efforts in 6 seconds

6 second play, 3 strong efforts, (1 for each play) gets you to 4th down if you're defense. That's how I took it last year, but apparently it's an offensive thing too. Maybe we are planning on having 3-play scoring drives??

Hurd, Malone, Pearson, Dobbs Ferguson are all about 6' 3", thus we know who our starting QB will be either Dobbs or Ferguson.

VN Store

Back