D-Line needs a brand new culture

LibertyVolance

Need to develop a culture of toughness this spring, sooner and not later. Example: Carr. What kind of aggressiveness was this new recruit able to aspire to among last year's class of veteran linesmen who could seldom apply ANY pressure on an opponent's QB?

You could also apply the same analogy to last season's O-Line when it came to run blocking. The culture of toughness just wasn't in place.

It's my most intense hope that CBJ and his staff can build a culture of toughness on both lines that can compete with the SEC's finest. It's something that was gradually lost over the years. In the SEC, you have to whip them at the LOS to beat them on the field.

You have to recruit mean, dirty, and nasty. Players either are or their not.. Also speed has to be in the mix... Recruit

Reactions: 3 people
most of those players are now gone. just gotta keep coaching and trying to get there. i think we have some nastier players on both lines. maybe not as gifted but thats okay if you bring that nasty streak

Reactions: 1 person
Need to develop a culture of toughness this spring, sooner and not later. Example: Carr. What kind of aggressiveness was this new recruit able to aspire to among last year's class of veteran linesmen who could seldom apply ANY pressure on an opponent's QB?

You could also apply the same analogy to last season's O-Line when it came to run blocking. The culture of toughness just wasn't in place.

It's my most intense hope that CBJ and his staff can build a culture of toughness on both lines that can compete with the SEC's finest. It's something that was gradually lost over the years. In the SEC, you have to whip them at the LOS to beat them on the field.

On their way...toughness has never been an issue with this staff in previous stops...just check out the NFL players he's coached :rock:

Can we not leave the past in the past now? Is it really necessary to dredge up the past to explain every current deficiency away?

Some of the players you accuse of not having a "culture of toughness" WERE tough. Is it really necessary to take shots at guys like Miller and Walls who busted their tails for the Vols?

Reactions: 6 people
A faster/better secondary will help them out a ton.

This. The DL stats last year were nothing to brag about but they weren't given any favors by the secondary either. That 12 yards to the qb that Butch always talks about can be a lot easier the longer the secondary can keep the QB looking around for open targets

Carr isn't a new recruit but he does seem to bring the intensity that we need. I read somewhere that he was hurt. Is he practicing now?

Need to put four of them in a room with 20 "Walkers" and a screwdriver, that will toughen them up.

WWTD/WWD2?: What would Tyrese Do/What would Daryl do?

It's not that we've been short of talent on the DL the last few years - it's that the staff turnover is killing our player development. Consistently recruit talent and develop talent under the same staff for a couple years and watch how things get better.

I get what you mean but is there any other optional DL culture you would want to foster? My point your stating the painfully obvious.

It's not that we've been short of talent on the DL the last few years - it's that the staff turnover is killing our player development. Consistently recruit talent and develop talent under the same staff for a couple years and watch how things get better.

The talent up front has been poor and that being kind . No pass rush to speak of and DT has been a major gap or lower tier as a group. You could say McCuller's and Malik Jackson...but who else is even getting a sniff by the NFL

I think the D line is the issue, our linebacker play and secondary play are fine.

Some may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Our CBs outside Sutton are below average. McNeil is slow, and he's not big enough to move to WLB as Sapp did. Our entire starting secondary outside Randolph and Sutton may be all freshman by years end. Our entire defense outside SLB and MLB is pretty much wide open for competition. We have four sure starters come August and that's Sutton, Randolph, Maggit, and AJ, and I'm not sure Maggit can't be looked at as possibly starting at WDE if Vereen doesn't bring it this summer. I think we can replace the starting SLB spot of Maggit's with Weatherd or Justin King if need be to allow Maggit to be a full time pass rusher.

VN Store

Back