Thoughts On How The Vols Offense Might Look

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
QB - If the OL is ineffective at pass blocking, the Butch will go with the QB having a combo of the fastest release, most accuracy, and fleetest feet.

Verdict: Dobb Goblin or Rifleman

RB - Lane is starving and acting like it, since the end of the KY game per coaches. Even with the cast, he’s running with conviction. If the OL can run block even just marginally decently, Lane will get yards we often left on the field last year. Plus he has deceptive open field running we simply haven’t had a chance to see in game action yet. Hurd, no question, the guy is going to play and play significantly. With a decent OL, he’s a threat to take the hog hide home and lock it in the closet every time he touches it. With a less than decent line, he will get the yards we couldn’t get last season and some change. You will see why the Butch has the bull of the ring and ring of life practices. During games, we will see a lot of “Get the ‘hail’ out of my way or get stomped.”

Verdict: Lane & Hurd as a tandem as well as inter-changeable parts. Lane’s pass catching ability might mean more PT. Hurd might be just as good at catching but that’s unknown and unproven yet.

With a decent OL, we will see periodic insertions of Young, Pickett (yes, him), and maybe Scott tire out DL’s forced to chase smaller fast backs. And give our main guys some rest so they continue to pound and ground the defense. I refuse to write off Hill, I think we have an as yet underrated slam and bam runner in both him and Summerhill. So they may see diversion time where a main back is in with them but the back up gets the call.

WR - Quite frankly, it will be a case of pick your poison. To make things worse (better for us) is we will see why the WR coach wants WRs who can block. So when not terrifying DBs with the threat of their giving up big yardage, they will be knocking them down for the RBs.

Verdict: I honestly don’t think that outside of Pearson and maybe North, that it matters who is in for passing situations. I don’t think we ever had a corps like this in ages. Just select a group and rotate them if throwing deep. The DBs will just have to deal with constant fresh legs and the constant threat of yielding major yardage. Josh Smith and Jacob Carter will be our twin Zach Rogers, though not as prolific.

What about the defense? I really can’t venture even speculation on them now. If they play well in general, we can easily be looking at an 8-4 season. Otherwise it’s 7-5. Less than adequate play, I don’t even want to think about it. I do think we will have a defense that's genuinely wants to wipe the bad taste out of their mouth. And be the start of something very special. Thus I will dare to predict we will see a spirited defense unit that is out to put the hurt on some people. How well they do that is right now a big question mark.

To: Negavols and Haters - This is all speculation of a Tennessee football time hungry fan. If you don’t like it, just ignore it. If you can’t do that, just go ahead and do what you do. We’re used to it.

Reactions: 7 people
We might not have the same QB at the end if the USU game as we did at the beginning...they're good enough to give the right litmus test.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hmmm...I wonder what it is about these two particular players' abilities and performance that makes them like Zach Rogers...

It's their COACH ON THE FIELD and WORKS HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE ON THE FIELD attributes...and they can't dance...andtheywalkfunny :ermm:

Reactions: 1 person
We might not have the same QB at the end if the USU game as we did at the beginning...they're good enough to give the right litmus test.

Could be all too true.

Hmmm...I wonder what it is about these two particular players' abilities and performance that makes them like Zach Rogers...

Big time WRs ahead of them. being considered as not likely to see the playing field as a result. Considered less talented. Now, let's see what happens as we did with ZaRog. Interestingly, ZaRog dropped balls early on and was insulted as having hands of stone. Sounds like Josh Smith

Last edited:
QB - If the OL is ineffective at pass blocking, the Butch will go with the QB having a combo of the fastest release, most accuracy, and fleetest feet.

RB - Lane is starving and acting like it, since the end of the KY game per coaches. Even with the cast, he’s running with conviction. If the OL can run block even just marginally decently, Lane will get yards we often left on the field last year. Plus he has deceptive open field running we simply haven’t had a chance to see in game action yet. Hurd, no question, the guy is going to play and play significantly. With a decent OL, he’s a threat to take the hog hide home and lock it in the closet every time he touches it. With a less than decent line, he will get the yards we couldn’t get last season and some change. You will see why the Butch has the bull of the ring and ring of life practices. During games, we will see a lot of “Get the ‘hail’ out of my way or get stomped.”

Verdict: Lane & Hurd as a tandem as well as inter-changeable parts. Lane’s pass catching ability might mean more PT. Hurd might be just as good at catching but that’s unknown and unproven yet.

With a decent OL, we will see periodic insertions of Young, Pickett (yes, him), and maybe Scott tire out DL’s forced to chase smaller fast backs. And give our main guys some rest so they continue to pound and ground the defense. I refuse to write off Hill, I think we have an as yet underrated slam and bam runner in both him and Summerhill. So they may see diversion time where a main back is in with them but the back up gets the call.

WR - Quite frankly, it will be a case of pick your poison. To make things worse (better for us) is we will see why the WR coach wants WRs who can block. So when not terrifying DBs with the threat of their giving up big yardage, they will be knocking them down for the RBs.

Verdict: I honestly don’t think that outside of Pearson and maybe North, that it matters who is in for passing situations. I don’t think we ever had a corps like this in ages. Just select a group and rotate them if throwing deep. The DBs will just have to deal with constant fresh legs and the constant threat of yielding major yardage. Josh Smith and Jacob Carter will be our twin Zach Rogers, though not as prolific.

What about the defense? I really can’t venture even speculation on them now. If they play well in general, we can easily be looking at an 8-4 season. Otherwise it’s 7-5. Less than adequate play, I don’t even want to think about it. I do think we will have a defense that's genuinely wants to wipe the bad taste out of their mouth. And be the start of something very special. Thus I will dare to predict we will see a spirited defense unit that is out to put the hurt on some people. How well they do that is right now a big question mark.

To: Negavols and Haters - This is all speculation of a Tennessee football time hungry fan. If you don’t like it, just ignore it. If you can’t do that, just go ahead and do what you do. We’re used to it.

Pretty fair and reasonable assessment in my opinion OP. We are still in rebuilding mode, still a lot of question marks, and we'll see a lot of Freshman getting significant playing time.

I still think all other things being equal it is Worley. IMHO, one of the others has to take it away from him to win it due to experience and the progress they made last year before his injury. Plus he seems the best at managing the O.

Otherwise a pretty much agree with everything you wrote. My only concern that could keep the O from taking a MAJOR step or even leap forward is LT. They really, really need Blair to come up big.

If he does, I think this OL will be better than the last one and particularly in the run game. Just my "negavol and hater" opinion though.... :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Big time WRs ahead of them. being considered as not likely to see the playing field as a result. Considered less talented. Now, let's see what happens as we did with ZaRog. Interestingly, ZaRog dropped balls early on and was insulted as having hands of stone. Sounds like Josh Smith

Don't be so disrespectful. Z. Rogers was way more talented than those guys. He had a pretty good offer list and he benefited from having 2 future NFL WR playing around with not much depth behind him. Unfortunately we will have depth behind our top 2 wideouts. Neither (Josh or Jacob) will see the field much. Now Vic will be a better Zack Rogers and will take PT from Jacob and Josh

Ages???

Don't be so disrespectful. Z. Rogers was way more talented than those guys. He had a pretty good offer list and he benefited from having 2 future NFL WR playing around with not much depth behind him. Unfortunately we will have depth behind our top 2 wideouts. Neither (Josh or Jacob) will see the field much. Now Vic will be a better Zack Rogers and will take PT from Jacob and Josh

My post as admitted in the little note at the bottom, is speculative. The point regarding Josh and Jacob is, Josh especially, and like Zach were maligned by fans as pass droppers. Players who simply would not see the field because of who was ahead of them. Then came a Xerox moment. Zach became the most consistent WR on the team. Now, I also further stated that I don't think Josh or Jacob will be as prolific. Thus I'm confused as to why you think I'm disrespecting Zach. He's not the first to start out as underachieving and not quite good enough to start, then surprising people by Xeroxing: DigiBarn TV: The XEROX Monks 1977 Super Bowl commercial Korey Kay & Assoc. - YouTube

I certainly didn't issue a court mandate on my speculations. Relax.

Good analysis, I agree PLUS we will have receiving tight ends in the game this year, something that was sorely missed last year many times in short yardage situations

Smith is more talented than ZR was as a Fr. Jones likes him if he can translate his practice performance to the field then he will contribute.

D line and O line are our biggest concerns this year. Our season will be determined by the trenches.

What's the deal with M. Pair? He's a big tall guy and a Sr or RsSr. U would think he would be able to beat out a true freshman and a new JUCO O-lineman for one of the OT spots.

VN Store

Back