Thursday's Practice 3/27

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 5m
If you press Jason Croom you better have a plan or a prayer or you will get bench pressed.

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 4m
Offense bounced back in a serious way today and competed. Some explosive play were made.

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 3m
Emmanuel Mosley will be counted on big time. You can tell by the way he's being coached. He was fearless in one on one tackling vs WRs

Malik Foreman showed me something today. Still needs to be more consistent with focus but he WILL tackle In open space based on today.

Reactions: 5 people
If you press Jason Croom you better have a plan or a prayer or you will get bench pressed.

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 4m
Offense bounced back in a serious way today and competed. Some explosive play were made.

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 3m
Emmanuel Mosley will be counted on big time. You can tell by the way he's being coached. He was fearless in one on one tackling vs WRs

Come on Croomster!

Reactions: 4 people
@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 3m
Mike Bajakian reiterates after practice, when asked a couple different times, that there's been no separation among the four quarterbacks.

VolQuest.com - Quick HiTs: Which side won short-yardage battles?

Tennessee tuned up for its second scrimmage of the spring with more work, including some heated fourth-and-1 situations near the goal line ordered by head coach Butch Jones Thursday when it returned for its seventh spring practice.

The Vols, who will scrimmage Saturday morning, again worked extensive fundamental drills but shortly after the team's stretch period, Jones ordered first-team offense to battle first-team defense in a fourth-and-1 situation from just beyond the 10-yard line.

The opening sequence saw Justin Worley at quarterback, flanked by Marlin Lane, and Worley was able to keep the ball around left end for a 1-yard gain.

On the second 1-yard showdown, Jalen Hurd easily bulled through for the first down after taking the handoff from Nate Peterman.

Joshua Dobbs provided the best play of the series, though Hurd's brutish run was impressive, when Dobbs beat edge rush from Curt Maggitt, reset his feet and fired a strike to Josh Malone.

The offense's only unsuccessful 1-yard attempt came when Riley Ferguson handed off to Alden Hill, and the Vols' second-team offense couldn't muster a push against the team's second-string defensive unit.

Tennessee soon shifted into various individual drills, with Jones instantly ramping up the challenge to his skill players on offense. But through the first five periods of practice, it wasn't exactly the best day for the quarterbacks. There were some overthrows, under-throws and not enough consistency.

"Individual, let's go. Quarterbacks and wideouts, this is the most important period of the day," Jones said.

After sitting in on quarterback meetings Tuesday and then watching his team practice that afternoon, Jones did tell VolQuest.com that repetitions could become less evenly divided at the quarterback spot --- if a player's performance dictates as much.

"They're going to earn their reps, so if they start performing they'll earn their reps. If individuals are struggling a little bit, we're going to back off their reps," Jones exclusively told VolQuest.com. "Everything is earned in our program, so they're going to have to earn their repetitions."

Perhaps most noteworthy of the first-team offense's look in early drills was that walk-on Jacob Gilliam, a redshirt senior from Farragut, opened at left tackle on more than one drill instead of Dontavius Blair. Coleman Thomas at right tackle and the remainder of the offensive line was unchanged. Coaches have been challenging Blair, who's big and athletic but is still adapting and trying to improve both conditioning and strength levels, to step up.

Tennessee did more extensive kickoff work Thursday afternoon as it worked toward Saturday's scrimmage, with the Vols practicing both coverage, returns and working on blocking lanes and responsibilities.

A number of players garnered chances in the return game, but Von Pearson and Malone continued to show good burst. Devrin Young also showed good acceleration and understanding of the blocking scheme on a couple of instances.

Jocquez Bruce, a 2015 running back from nearby South-Doyle High School, and Ethan Thomas, also a '15 prospect at running back from Elizabethton, were among the practice visitors Thursday, as were dozens of law enforcement officials. Jones helped the football program set up "Law Enforcement Day" and invited out area police personnel.

Reactions: 3 people
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H2ysU3FbxQ[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZ3jL0buqI[/youtube]

I've got a feeling that CBJ is not going to make a QB decision until a week before USU. They are very adament about there being no separation. It's been their mantra for all 7 practices. If there continues to be no separation who do we start?

I've got a feeling that CBJ is not going to make a QB decision until a week before USU. They are very adament about there being no separation. It's been their mantra for all 7 practices. If there continues to be no separation who do we start?

I'd say worley. Experience

Reactions: 6 people

What will it take for one of these dudes to simply step up and say I want to be the man....this is mine? Then show it on the field?

:dunno:

Reactions: 1 person

I have a feeling that's coach speak. We will at least have an idea when we know the starters for the orange and white game.

Reactions: 6 people
To me in a perfect world someone would blow up in the O/W game be named starter and have all summer to make this his team. I know about competition being good and all but I think there is something to be said for a team knowing and being to prepare with their starter. JMO

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 3m
Mike Bajakian reiterates after practice, when asked a couple different times, that there's been no separation among the four quarterbacks.

Spin that as coach speak if you wish, but it doesn't sound good to me at all. No clear QB and a new o-line, yippee! We got a long way to go though and I'm hopeful someone will step up. I say Dobbs.

If you have 2 Starting QB's you have none. If you have 4 starting QB's I guess you have to recruit ? Seriously Second year in the system and nobody is getting IT more than anyone else ? Seems strange to me.

Reactions: 3 people
Spin that as coach speak if you wish, but it doesn't sound good to me at all. No clear QB and a new o-line, yippee! We got a long way to go though and I'm hopeful someone will step up. I say Dobbs.

Lack of separation amongst competitors for a starting position doesn't always imply poor quality of play from all associated

Reactions: 11 people
If you have 2 Starting QB's you have none. If you have 4 starting QB's I guess you have to recruit ? Seriously Second year in the system and nobody is getting IT more than anyone else ? Seems strange to me.

Makes you wonder about the coaching staff's ability to develop a QB. QB was a major weakness last year and all of these guys were highly rated coming out of high school.

Reactions: 2 people
Hurd was hooked up w the helmet cam. Looking forward to that video...

You can also see the checkerboard decals that have been referenced in recent days, as well as the new Revo Speed Flex helmet he's sporting.

Attachments

• F1054508.png
    F1054508.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 4 people

What if all 4 have gotten better at the same time? I think we're going through a lot of needless worry right now. It is spring practice.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back