Does Coach Jones Genuinely Care About BBall?

snapcracklepop

I was very impressed that Coach made the trip to Raleigh, but I'm even more fascinated seeing him attend a 9pm Lady Vols tourny game from start to finish. He was also at a baseball game a few weeks ago.

Is this support of #OneTennessee a way to get on the fans "good side" so they will give him more time to get things turned around, or does this mastermind really care about these other athletes and their respective sports?

I really want to believe that he is truly a fan of all things Tennessee, but I feel a little naive when I start to really believe it.

Maybe it isn't abnormal for football coaches to be so supportive, but I can't recall any that attend most every sport on campus.

I guess all of this positive stuff falls under the "Butch Gets It" category. I really am glad he's our coach, and I hope we win BIG soon!

Go Vols! #ONETENNESSEE

Reactions: 7 people
No doubt he understands propaganda and publicity, but I genuinely think he is supportive. He was standing up and getting excited during the Game against Mercer.

Reactions: 6 people
He does seem to genuinely buy in to his own vision of "We are all one Tennessee".

I heard one time that, in order for people to buy in to your vision, they must first buy in to you.

He is exemplifying his own vision while selling it to others. It's fundamental to building influence with your peers and others in your organization.

Reactions: 5 people
This has nothing to do with propaganda. Has everything to doing about supporting your University and leadership. I would be concerned if Coach Jones was not showing support for BBall. And who wouldn't want to sit courtside in the NCAA tournament watching Tennessee.

Stop reading the tea leaves.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch is just checking out the skills of his next TE... iyam, tifwiw, jmo.

49212d0b9645f77e739d5c22e9e9189746219.jpg

Reactions: 15 people
Yes he wants all sports to do well. More recognition for the university nationally as a brand. Also gives him some easy publicity.

The better the other sports are doing, the better it is for football, and vise-versa..

The thing that amazes me is how he finds the time, on top of everything else he has going on... recruiting, dealing with the football team etc..

I have 3 kids, not close to 100 like he does, and I can hardly find the time to listen to the games.. let alone go to them

The thing you have to understand about Butch Jones is that he is a master salesman. Every single day, he's selling something to somebody. Whether that's him and his staff to parents, the team and facilities to recruits, the school to the country, or his personal brand and vision to the fanbase, he's always on the pitch. He's relentlessly energetic, extremely competitive, and personally engaging. Reminds me a lot of one former Tennessee basketball coach in that regard, minus the used-car salesman vibe.

So, in the sense of his competitive nature, it's not surprising at all that he enjoys watching high-level competition in other sports. He's a noted Miami Heat (friends with Spoelstra) and Cincinnati Reds fan (presumably from his time there) and has gone on record supporting Serrano and the baseball club, the Weekly's and the softball team, and Warlick and her squad. And not only does he support Coach Zo and the boys at games (someone he probably admires; they're more similar than most realize), he's also been known to go to basketball practice just to watch.

So, I think that on a deeper level than just basketball, Jones cares about people and specifically the people at the University of Tennessee. It's been debated by more than a few but I really do think he plans to be here for a while. East Tennessee is a beautiful place to raise a family and he has everything a coach could ever want in terms of program resources. Can't hurt to make a few friends in the athletic department along the way.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Jones genuinely cares about Tennessee. Because of that, he makes a point to back all of our athletic teams.

The first step in sales is establishing trust.

Butch understands his role in the athletic department being Lead Coach and is a team player supporting everyone in Vol Nation---coaches, players, and fans alike. It certainly does not hurt to have Butch present at any UT function.

It is great publicity, but did you ever think he might be like the rest of us and just enjoy going to the games? I would love to have free admission and access to all UT sporting events. Nirvana!!!!!!!!!

Also, part of recruiting and selling is telling stories (true ones) and painting verbal pictures. Going to these events helps him build his mental library of material to use for recruiting, fund raising and motivation for the current team.

I believe he's simply showing that he sincerely means what he teachs the young men he's coaching. We are oneTennessee. One for all , all for one. Nice concept actually. GO VOLS

He knows the more tn fans see him the more could come to games n support him..

Its sales n marketing that's it. He won 5 games n he know if he trends to 5 wins this year he will hear about it.. So better to have a lot of support to help thru the rough times. Vs no support from fans.

He knows the more tn fans see him the more could come to games n support him..

Its sales n marketing that's it. He won 5 games n he know if he trends to 5 wins this year he will hear about it.. So better to have a lot of support to help thru the rough times. Vs no support from fans.

It's more than sales and marketing. He's a guy that likes sports like all VNers. If I was in his position, I'd go to everything. It's free!

VN Store

Back