USU Scrimmage

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Disclaimer 1: Size isn’t everything as the Montana game made very evident.

Disclaimer 2: Video never tells the whole story in regard to measurements.

Disclaimer 3: I don’t even claim to be knowledgeable about the USU football team.

Nosed around the USUFANS website just to see what’s being said there. Stumbled onto their spring scrimmage videos. Film focused on individual players’ highlights it seems. I took some reviewing looks meant to get an idea of the level and type of players they have. As to whether I was looking at 1st string or 7th string, I have no idea. Nonetheless, here’s my take:

Their players seem sort of smallish compared to what we put on the field. This surprised me as I was looking for the Polynesian kids who I know from personal encounters tend to be BIG and STRONG. Could be I wasn’t seeing all the guys they will put on the field at Neyland. Lots of spidery legs, not that I’m mocking them. We all saw how that Asian kid on the Montana team could flat out fly so I don’t poke fun at skinny players. I saw an OL-man drop to take out a DL-man legs so we better watch this during the game. He didn’t knee attack or anything sleazy, just dropped and the OL-man indeed went down leaving a gaping hole in the line.

I read some stuff about lots of dropped balls but what I saw, the WRs caught balls with the DB practically inside the WR’s shirt. Hands of glue, baby.

Offhand, I’d say their corners and safeties may have trouble with our big WRs so the QB could probably get away with just throwing jump balls. In part because of our WRs’ height, and partly because from what I saw, our muscular WRs could probably just shrug and shake off their defenders. They just seem so thin.

The team does look fast but I don’t know how that will play out in the sopping wet humidity of East Tennessee humidity and filled to capacity Neyland Stadium. They say the noise won’t bother them, but I know better. Rabid, hungry for wins, proud, and hyped up Vols fans are a sonic boom that just won’t stop.

I skimmed some threads. Saw a bit of jabbering about Daniel Gray (they call him ‘Danny’) being described as amazing and their next lockdown corner. Don’t laugh, the kid may not have cracked the starting lineup here but he was on an SEC team and saw players USU defenders rarely see. Why be surprised if he learned something so can play at a level USU and their opponents don’t often see? I’m glad he’s making a name for himself there. Otherwise, it would indicate being a Vol or ex-Vol means not being well-coached. So I hope he turns heads and have a superb all-conference year.

OK, now for smarter people than me who may wish to see the scrimmage for themselves, here’s the link:

USUFans.com • View topic - Scrimmage, 3/21/2014

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
In those vids posted later in the thread.. Their QB threw like 4 interceptions in a scrimmage. Don't know if that is good for our defense or bad for our offense. Could mean we get a couple in the game or if our QB is not on it, give up a couple.

Turnovers are the one thing that could give USU a chance IMO.. Straight up, I don't think they can beat us. A couple pick-6 happen and we could be in trouble.

Prediction 27 to 10 Vols

In those vids posted later in the thread.. Their QB threw like 4 interceptions in a scrimmage. Don't know if that is good for our defense or bad for our offense. Could mean we get a couple in the game or if our QB is not on it, give up a couple.

Turnovers are the one thing that could give USU a chance IMO.. Straight up, I don't think they can beat us. A couple pick-6 happen and we could be in trouble.

Prediction 27 to 10 Vols

Yeah, I forgot to mention the interceptions. I don't think this was their regular QB. He threw floaters, passes that were dying before reaching the WR, and low stuff that deflected and stolen. if that's what we will face, Sutton, Moseley, Jackson etc will have a field day. But it was just the first scrimmage so I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

I think that it will be a good early test to see if our team speed is getting to where it needs to be. I doubt they will try to run the ball right up the gut, so they will definitely give us something that other SEC teams may not bring to the table.

Keeton is out for spring from what I've heard. So that wouldn't be their #1 QB.

Gotta say based on those videos, on either side of the ball vs what we should be putting out there this year... "I ain't skeered none". :thumbsup:

Gotta say based on those videos, on either side of the ball vs what we should be putting out there this year... "I ain't skeered none". :thumbsup:

Agree but I have been unable to find a current depth chart to see if those are back ups or guys they intend to play. If they are starters... then their brief moment in the sun is over.

FWIW, if UT's QB stares down receivers like that... then the Vols deserve to lose and fire the OC.

Agree but I have been unable to find a current depth chart to see if those are back ups or guys they intend to play. If they are starters... then their brief moment in the sun is over.

FWIW, if UT's QB stares down receivers like that... then the Vols deserve to lose and fire the OC.

I know how much it took out of you to say that
:unsure:

Reactions: 3 people
Disclaimer 1: Size isn’t everything as the Montana game made very evident.

Disclaimer 2: Video never tells the whole story in regard to measurements.

Disclaimer 3: I don’t even claim to be knowledgeable about the USU football team.

Nosed around the USUFANS website just to see what’s being said there. Stumbled onto their spring scrimmage videos. Film focused on individual players’ highlights it seems. I took some reviewing looks meant to get an idea of the level and type of players they have. As to whether I was looking at 1st string or 7th string, I have no idea. Nonetheless, here’s my take:

Their players seem sort of smallish compared to what we put on the field. This surprised me as I was looking for the Polynesian kids who I know from personal encounters tend to be BIG and STRONG. Could be I wasn’t seeing all the guys they will put on the field at Neyland. Lots of spidery legs, not that I’m mocking them. We all saw how that Asian kid on the Montana team could flat out fly so I don’t poke fun at skinny players. I saw an OL-man drop to take out a DL-man legs so we better watch this during the game. He didn’t knee attack or anything sleazy, just dropped and the OL-man indeed went down leaving a gaping hole in the line.

I read some stuff about lots of dropped balls but what I saw, the WRs caught balls with the DB practically inside the WR’s shirt. Hands of glue, baby.

Offhand, I’d say their corners and safeties may have trouble with our big WRs so the QB could probably get away with just throwing jump balls. In part because of our WRs’ height, and partly because from what I saw, our muscular WRs could probably just shrug and shake off their defenders. They just seem so thin.

The team does look fast but I don’t know how that will play out in the sopping wet humidity of East Tennessee humidity and filled to capacity Neyland Stadium. They say the noise won’t bother them, but I know better. Rabid, hungry for wins, proud, and hyped up Vols fans are a sonic boom that just won’t stop.

I skimmed some threads. Saw a bit of jabbering about Daniel Gray (they call him ‘Danny’) being described as amazing and their next lockdown corner. Don’t laugh, the kid may not have cracked the starting lineup here but he was on an SEC team and saw players USU defenders rarely see. Why be surprised if he learned something so can play at a level USU and their opponents don’t often see? I’m glad he’s making a name for himself there. Otherwise, it would indicate being a Vol or ex-Vol means not being well-coached. So I hope he turns heads and have a superb all-conference year.

OK, now for smarter people than me who may wish to see the scrimmage for themselves, here’s the link:

USUFans.com • View topic - Scrimmage, 3/21/2014

Reasonably fair assessment from Woodsman, especially considering it was from a few short video clips.

Spring Depth is here.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ust/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/prospectus/prospectus.pdf

Reactions: 1 person
Keeton is out for spring from what I've heard. So that wouldn't be their #1 QB.

keeton and the starting RB are out for spring.....who knows how Keeton will be when he comes back as it will have been less than 11 months and theres no way he will trust that knee 100% as a DUAL QB

if Dan Gray is a starting CB then im not too worried ab our WRs in this one.

That 10 yard TD reception had a DL barreling through a wide open hole in the OL and pulling up on a non-contact QB so he could get the pass off.

Marquez North is gonna throw Daniel Gray into the third row. No disrespect to him but he never had the size to play corner in the SEC. Plus, it's gonna be fun watching their D try to tackle Hurd :)

the day we almost lost to troy Gray was getting torched in the first half and got pulled lol....i was in the stands cussing him i remember...

this Utah State secondary is very suspect.

I know how much it took out of you to say that
:unsure:

So now you are going to lower the bar so much that UT's QB Coach (OC) can have his QB staring down WR's and you'll excuse that too? Now it is wrong to express any confidence or elevated expectations whatsoever?

So now you are going to lower the bar so much that UT's QB Coach (OC) can have his QB staring down WR's and you'll excuse that too? Now it is wrong to express any confidence or elevated expectations whatsoever?

I agree with sjt here. Every time a QB stares down a receiver, it's the coachs' fault. If any of our QBs do that this season, we should fire Bajakian. And maybe Jancek too. I'm skeptical of him because Willie Martinez's defenses were bad at UGA.

Prediction 27 to 10 Vols

Buddy, if we only beat Utah State by 17 points...we are in trouble.

Buddy, if we only beat Utah State by 17 points...we are in trouble.

Well, they're having expelled players, injures and such like many teams right now. It appears to key players, a lot like what we've endured in times recent past. Like us, they have to rebuild their OL. So if the Buyche is the coach we think he is, it should be a win and greater than 17 points is certainly possible. My belief based on what little I know is we should pound the rock until they prove they can stop it. Their QB will be either Garretson or one of the freshmen. None of whom are performing very well so far. If Chuck returns from his ACL, he may not be as mobile as before. Plus he's not participating in practices yet and may not until late in the spring. I'd rather they were at full strength so no excuses are made. But it looks like they're taking the same types of hits we have practically become used to. If we avoid repeats of those things, it may be a massacre.

Gray was athletic for us, but got thrown into the fire as a wide-eyed true freshman. With time, would have gotten more judgment, muscle and confidence.

Interceptions in spring practices don't tell me too much, as players will attempt things in those situations that they might not do in real games. Plus, how do we know if the guys on the downfield end are doing what they were supposed to do?

We eat cupcakes for breakfast unless its....USA UAB or Wyoming. Oh yeah and Troy.

Well, they're having expelled players, injures and such like many teams right now. It appears to key players, a lot like what we've endured in times recent past. Like us, they have to rebuild their OL. So if the Buyche is the coach we think he is, it should be a win and greater than 17 points is certainly possible. My belief based on what little I know is we should pound the rock until they prove they can stop it. Their QB will be either Garretson or one of the freshmen. None of whom are performing very well so far. If Chuck returns from his ACL, he may not be as mobile as before. Plus he's not participating in practices yet and may not until late in the spring. I'd rather they were at full strength so no excuses are made. But it looks like they're taking the same types of hits we have practically become used to. If we avoid repeats of those things, it may be a massacre.

I see it playing out something like Austin Peay and WKU.

I agree with sjt here. Every time a QB stares down a receiver, it's the coachs' fault. If any of our QBs do that this season, we should fire Bajakian. And maybe Jancek too. I'm skeptical of him because Willie Martinez's defenses were bad at UGA.

Nah, I guess you guys are right. All coaches are responsible for is recruiting and getting guys on the bus. They certainly aren't paid enough to improve players or discipline them. And of course we should NEVER look at what someone has done in the past to inform us of what they might do in the future. That just wouldn't be FAIR to them.

And while we're at it, let's remember rule #1. It is fine to say players "suck" or a too slow, too weak, et al... But NEVER even in hyperbole question a coach's talent or ability or suggest that they are accountable for anything that happens in a game.

Reactions: 2 people
Careful there... you are getting dangerously close to establishing an expectation greater than "some day in the distant future it might be OK to expect a winning record and Liberty Bowl".

VN Store

Back