Justin Coleman plugged in at nickel

kamoshika

It appears to be more than an experiment for Tennessee defensive back Justin Coleman.

The two-year starter at cornerback is playing nickel back for the Volunteers this spring, and at least for the forseeable future the rising senior will line up as Tennessee's fifth defensive back.

And the Vols' coaching staff prefers it that way.

Justin Coleman plugged in at nickel for Tennessee Vols | Times Free Press

Good read. I hope we don't have to start a freshman at CB though. If Mosley is the best option I hope some of that Cam Sutton rubs off on him

He fits there a lot better than on the outside IMO. The main question will be whether someone like Foreman, Moseley, Berry, or Gaulden will be able to take the outside spot and keep it locked down for all of 2014.

Between those guys, I have a feeling the answer will be yes as long as injuries don't hamper any of them.

We have the potential to have a much more naturally talented and speedy secondary this season. Get pumped.

Reactions: 1 person
He fits there a lot better than on the outside IMO. The main question will be whether someone like Foreman, Moseley, Berry, or Gaulden will be able to take the outside spot and keep it locked down for all of 2014.

Between those guys, I have a feeling the answer will be yes as long as injuries don't hamper any of them.

We have the potential to have a much more naturally talented and speedy secondary this season. Get pumped.

Right now its looking like (from reports that are out)

LCB 1. Moseley 2. Foreman
Nickel 1. Coleman 2. Payne

Cant wait for Gaulden, Berry, TK2 and McDowell to get on campus

Right now its looking like (from reports that are out)

LCB 1. Moseley 2. Foreman
Nickel 1. Coleman 2. Payne

Cant wait for Gaulden, Berry, TK2 and McDowell to get on campus

Yeah but to be fair at this point last year Riyahd Jones was one of our starting CBs too.

Throughout last season the staff tried to work Coleman into the nickel, but Foreman, Williams, Jones all were incapable of holding down the CB spot (for one reason or another) and allowing Coleman to move inside.

It's one thing to be starting in the spring. It's another to hold down the position once games start.

Yeah but to be fair at this point last year Riyahd Jones was one of our starting CBs too.

Throughout last season the staff tried to work Coleman into the nickel, but Foreman, Williams, Jones all were incapable of holding down the CB spot (for one reason or another) and allowing Coleman to move inside.

It's one thing to be starting in the spring. It's another to hold down the position once games start.

Thats why I said "right now", but R. Jones could have possibly held down thats starting CB spot if he wasnt injured. I for one hope Coleman sticks at nickel and doesnt have to move back outside

Thats why I said "right now", but R. Jones could have possibly held down thats starting CB spot if he wasnt injured. I for one hope Coleman sticks at nickel and doesnt have to move back outside
I'm hoping so too. We need more athleticism outside (and Coleman would e an upgrade at nickel too).

What about Riyahd Jones?

PS: I didn't realize that Jones played last year... why did they waste an opportunity to redshirt him?!?!

Cause he's done been recruited over and they want his scholarship available after this season. He was a short term attempt to strengthen the secondary that didn't work.

Cause he's done been recruited over and they want his scholarship available after this season. He was a short term attempt to strengthen the secondary that didn't work.

Pretty much this. We mostly signed him because we had scholarships to spare in the 2013 class and needed bodies at CB.

I like the way he knows the checks.

I like them rb's that he wrecks.

I like him covering the flat, or using his hat, to knock the slotman on his ass.

I like him blitzing from the Zawn!... ...I like him better than, walkon...

Reactions: 1 person
I like the way he knows the checks.

I like them rb's that he wrecks.

I like him covering the flat, or using his hat, to knock the slotman on his ass.

I like him blitzing from the Zawn!... ...I like him better than, walkon...

Sorry, thought you were Woodsman for a minute. :)

I have to say, I wasn't all that impressed by Coleman last year. I think they will put him out there by necessity, but he may be replaced by seasons end if the new guys are as advertised.

I have to say, I wasn't all that impressed by Coleman last year. I think they will put him out there by necessity, but he may be replaced by seasons end if the new guys are as advertised.

That's pretty much the reasoning behind putting him in at nickel. He won't have to play out in space one on one with guys as much. Coleman is pretty decent in run support though and that should make him a better fit in the nickel.

It really speaks volumes that the new guys are pushing vets like Coleman for PT. The future is bright!!

Who do you all think is the biggest threat to Coleman starting at nickel? I know it's early, but it's fun to speculate. Payne? Berry? Gaulden? Seems like TK Jr and McDowell are destined for safety.

It really speaks volumes that the new guys are pushing vets like Coleman for PT. The future is bright!!

Who do you all think is the biggest threat to Coleman starting at nickel? I know it's early, but it's fun to speculate. Payne? Berry? Gaulden? Seems like TK Jr and McDowell are destined for safety.
I think Payne eventually. I do believe Coleman will begin the year at NB. Gut feeling

VN Store

Back