Rethinking Hamilton's Tenure

PeytonBerry

I was thinking about Hamilton's time at UT, and while it was time to go, I do think he accomplished some good things at UT.

1. Gave Neyland a beautiful facelift
2. Transformed TBA
3. Hired a coach that made b-ball relevant again.
4. Avoided NCAA sanctions (admittedly from hires he made)

Often times, I heard people characterize Hamilton as a slimeball, but from those close to him, he was a man of good character who involved himself in the community and charitible endeavors. He is a man of faith, and adopted children in desperate need of a family. I imagine while he was here, he gave his all for Tennessee.

Don't get me wrong, Kiffen and Dooley fall on his watch, and he needed to go. I just think as quick as we are to criticize coaches and AD's, we should have some perspective and give credit where it is due. Perhaps we can say the same for our basketball coach.

Flame away!

Reactions: 6 people
When things aren't going well, people look for someone to blame....especially for something as emotional as sports.

It's always easier to blame people that aren't here. But can these people honestly say that Hamilton, Kiffin, Dooley, Cheek, etc. ALL hate UT and want to see them fail? That's just stupid.

Reactions: 2 people
The Kiffin "hire" wasn't the problem. I seem to recall a pretty fired up fan base when he was hired and Hamilton opened the wallet and paid a king's ransom for the rest of the staff. The problem was Kiffin leaving. That's what put UT in a hole. Who knew Carroll would leave for the NFL opening the door for Kiffin at USC?

Is all of that on Hamilton? No. However, he could have protected UT more with the language in the contracts.

Reactions: 18 people
The coaching moves made by Hamilton destroyed men's athletics at UT. He could not have done a worse job if that had been his full intention.

Decent guy just in way over his head.

Reactions: 9 people
The Kiffin "hire" wasn't the problem. I seem to recall a pretty fired up fan base when he was hired and Hamilton opened the wallet and paid a king's ransom for the rest of the staff. The problem was Kiffin leaving. That's what put UT in a hole. Who knew Carroll would leave for the NFL opening the door for Kiffin at USC?

Is all of that on Hamilton? No. However, he could have protected UT more with the language in the contracts.

Bingo. However, no one also could have predicted that Kiffin would have left a tornado's path of destruction in his wake, either. Kiffin leaving was the major blow to our program, I agree, but by the same token, had we kept him (i.e. gave him a raise, or as you said, had better contract language--like a MUCH bigger buyout, etc.) we would've probably been in it deeper than we were with the NCAA.

I see a lot of people on the board blame Fulmer and we know he loves U.T.

I don't blame Fulmer for the majority of our downfall. I love that guy (no homo), but I do feel he became complacent with recruiting and that's what started our decline from prominence.

Reactions: 3 people
Bingo. However, no one also could have predicted that Kiffin would have left a tornado's path of destruction in his wake, either. Kiffin leaving was the major blow to our program, I agree, but by the same token, had we kept him (i.e. gave him a raise, or as you said, had better contract language--like a MUCH bigger buyout, etc.) we would've probably been in it deeper than we were with the NCAA.

Maybe, but if UT was winning with Kiffin how much would the fans care? Just look at the BBB threads and the meltdown that's happening since it was announced tha Bruce is going to Auburn.

Fans want to win. UT can talk about academic progress and have the fans saying, "we're doing it the right way" but that thought process will go out the window when UT starts winning. It's only relevant now because UT sucks on the field....but we're winning in the classroom! :snoring:

Reactions: 1 person
Hamilton was a lot like Dooley. Decent guy, terrible at what they were hired to do.

That's an insult to Hamilton.

I remain amazed at the folks who continue to think Dooley was a "good guy" in light of all the info that's come out. I work with a guy who's son works in the athletic department. Per him, Dooley was an arse to most everyone the day he walked in and remained so throughout his tenure. He clearly offended many of the TN HS coaches and turned off many recruits who grew up vol fans. Not trying to beat the dead horse, but Dooley was not a people person. I've seen nothing to indicate he wasn't a typical smart arsed lawyer type who thought he was better than everyone else. I wish him well and he did a few good things at UT but everybody ought to drop the idea he was a good ole boy.

Reactions: 7 people

I remain amazed at the folks who continue to think Dooley was a "good guy" in light of all the info that's come out. I work with a guy who's son works in the athletic department. Per him, Dooley was an arse to most everyone the day he walked in and remained so throughout his tenure. He clearly offended many of the TN HS coaches and turned off many recruits who grew up vol fans. Not trying to beat the dead horse, but Dooley was not a people person. I've seen nothing to indicate he wasn't a typical smart arsed lawyer type who thought he was better than everyone else. I wish him well and he did a few good things at UT but everybody ought to drop the idea he was a good ole boy.

It seems we always learn these things after the fact, by all
accounts one can say dd has an acerbic personality(another way to say A-Hole).

Spot on. Personally witnessed.

If people have never hired others, then they will not understand how difficult it is to get it right. If they have, they know that all of the blame is not on Hamilton. There were many others also involved in the hirings that were higher up the food chain than him. All of them had an agenda and cliché.

Kiffin was a horrible hire. In general, they wanted to make a big splash hire to reunite the fan base and totally ignored bad character and integrity. Stupid move by all involved. So like a jilted lover, they went the polar opposite direction with Dools and did not focus on whether he was a proven winner as a HC that was competent enough to compete at a high level in the SEC. They chose him because of pedigree and he talked intelligent southern. Panic hire. Another stupid move. Not all Hamilton's fault.

The fantastic facilities and strong donation base were Hamilton's contribution to UT. He is a good man personally. He helped to fix baseball before he left and he brought us Bruce, while even fighting internally to retain him when he got into trouble. Time to move on.

Reactions: 3 people
My point in the thread wasn't to argue against his bad decisions. In fact, I absolutely agree that he made two awful hires and ultimately was accountable for those decisions.

I just wanted to make the point that our criticism of AD's and Coaches are disproportionate to our recognition of their positive contributions. Hamilton is a big reason a lot of fans (myself included) care so much about basketball. Hamilton is a big reason our facilities look world class. I forgot about the baseball hire, but that one is reaping benefits now. I'm absolutely OK with criticism, I just wish it was a little more balanced.

Hamilton was the worst thing that has happened to UT athletics. He mismanaged finances, had distorted priorities, made poor hires (except for Bruce that was hand-picked by Grunfeld), messed up the academic side of things, and had no idea how to act as a competent AD. It is mind-blowing how bad he was at his job.

You could teach a class on inept management using Hamilton as a case study.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't blame Fulmer for the majority of our downfall. I love that guy (no homo), but I do feel he became complacent with recruiting and that's what started our decline from prominence.

Not just recruiting...an overall atrophy of fundamentals and discipline...we pine for Chavis but he was almost alone in coaching his charges properly...special teams and offensive linemen were stocked with talent at the end of Fulmer's tenure,but you wouldn't have known it with the lackadaisical,haphazard performance....part of the reason Kiffin was kicking leftovers off left and right when he took over,which in retrospect started our depth shortage. :censored:

Hamilton spent money like a Liberal.

He put us deep into debt and we're 1 of the worst in the country now financially.

If he was so great at fundraising then he could have built things after raising the money to get it done.

Kiffin a winner?, LMAO!

The only reason he did well at USCw was because he and Pete Carroll cheated as has been well proven now.

Even as crazy as Al Davis was at Oakland he was smart enough to fire that clown.

Where did he ever win anything as head of anything?

It was time for Fulmer to go but you do NOT give him a raise and a longer contract right before you fire him and lose UT more money and you DO have a couple of good, proven coaches interested in taking the job before you fire him.

Hamilton failed to stay on top of what Bruce Pearl was doing so it is his fault our basketball program took a big hit especially when it was known that Pearl was prone to do things that weren't right before he was hired.

Hamilton hired CDD for 2 reasons...

1...To save money while he tried to get our financial situation back under control

2...As a stopgap in hopes his so-called charm would get good recruits back in the program while he tried to find a serious head coach that was willing to take on the challenge of totally rebuilding our program.

Fact is that even after this 1 great recruiting class there's still probably not a great, proven head coach that would want to come rebuild our Vols the rest of the way back to Championship levels.

Try to whitewash it any way you like but Hamilton failed in every aspect.

It's time the higher ups understand that Vols football IS the big moneymaker that funds many other things and that you have to spend money to make money so stop being dumb and get our best coaches and recruiters very well paid so we can keep them for may years to come!

We have a great recruiter so pay the man and keep him before another program steals him away and he's recruiting against us.

We're on the right track now I believe but football coaching and recruiting is a team thing too so pay the coaching team so we don't lose them when we all know recruiting IS what builds winning programs.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!

Last edited:
In the first hour of our decline, the great pumpkin presumed to rest on his laurels. The fantastic recruiting, his trademark resume, was set aside. The national championship went to his head. Quality he forgot, must be maintained or it slips into disrepair. His desk we’re told was a huge throne-like structure tha gave him a view downward of whoever was across from it. Ego and complacency were the termites that undermined the program’s foundation.

In the second hour of our decline, the ham melting sought a hire based on a real or imagined reputation. Full taken advantage of by a slick talking Kaliphony Kid. Who actually had a h3ll of a recruiting team. That unfortunately operated without morals or a sense of honor. Who sneaked out of town the moment a western whore wiggled her hips and shook her pelvis at him.

In the third hour of our decline, the ham melting was overseeing a ruined, once great empire, thus desperate straits. One by one, even marginally decent coaches rejected his overtures. He was forced then to court an unproven whelp of champion stud. At the time located in in the backwater and thickets of a school and conference beneath much notice.

In the fourth hour of our decline, we have a coach who if time is allowed him, has the ability to drag us from beneath the rumble of our decay. There are those whose impatience was expressed even as he step on campus. There are those who refuse to see the need to build that which was demolished and are condemning the coach and staff already. There are also those who realize the reconstruction of what destructed is in process. That soon enough, the power and the glory of the orange cast its shadow across the SEC yet again. Who realize that soon enough, we who have cringed, cried, been ashamed and disappointed, that era is ending. When it comes, it may seem something like a dream to hear Neyland Stadium once again roar and scream.

This is the chronicles of the Orange-White Fall, Volunteers Rise. A tale of a dark age, a time of trouble and sorrow. Replaced eventually bv glad tidings and a promise of new empire based on the pure goal and the orange power of those who vow, “I will give my all to Tennessee!”

Hamilton spent money like a Liberal.

He put us deep into debt and we're 1 of the worst in the country now financially.

If he was so great at fundraising then he could have built things after raising the money to get it done.

Kiffin a winner?, LMAO!

The only reason he did well at USCw was because he and Pete Carroll cheated as has been well proven now.

Even as crazy as Al Davis was at Oakland he was smart enough to fire that clown.

Where did he ever win anything as head of anything?

It was time for Fulmer to go but you do NOT give him a raise and a longer contract right before you fire him and lose UT more money and you DO have a couple of good, proven coaches interested in taking the job before you fire him.

Hamilton failed to stay on top of what Bruce Pearl was doing so it is his fault our basketball program took a big hit especially when it was known that Pearl was prone to do things that weren't right before he was hired.

Hamilton hired CDD for 2 reasons...

1...To save money while he tried to get our financial situation back under control

2...As a stopgap in hopes his so-called charm would get good recruits back in the program while he tried to find a serious head coach that was willing to take on the challenge of totally rebuilding our program.

Fact is that even after this 1 great recruiting class there's still probably not a great, proven head coach that would want to come rebuild our Vols the rest of the way back to Championship levels.

Try to whitewash it any way you like but Hamilton failed in every aspect.

It's time the higher ups understand that Vols football IS the big moneymaker that funds many other things and that you have to spend money to make money so stop being dumb and get our best coaches and recruiters very well paid so we can keep them for may years to come!

We have a great recruiter so pay the man and keep him before another program steals him away and he's recruiting against us.

We're on the right track now I believe but football coaching and recruiting is a team thing too so pay the coaching team so we don't lose them when we all know recruiting IS what builds winning programs.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!

Cool it, bub. The UT just went through the same kind of mismanagement the likes of which FOMOCO, Chysler, American Motors, not to mention a host of other business went through. It's very American where greed, stupidity or both kicks a business to the bottom of the heap. Th smart ones adjust and claim back up. The others stay dumb and go out of business. Ain't the first time we've allowed the program to languish.

I agree that in his personal life Hamilton is a very good man.

However, as AD he:
  • Hired Kiffin (who got us in NCAA trouble in one year) and was a 1st class d-bag;
  • Hired Pearl who was great but got us in NCAA trouble (with an assist from the AD and their attorneys);
  • Hired Todd Raleigh who finished off the destruction of our baseball program and was a 1st class d-bag;
  • Hired Dooley who finished off the destruction of our football program and was a 1st class d-bag.

Also he:
Mismanaged Fulmer's last couple of years and eventual exit;
Mismanaged the budget, especially buyouts (ahem), so bad he financially wrecked the athletic department for several years;
Mismanaged Kiffin's whole employment situation from the initial contract negotiations to the way he left;
Mismanaged Kiffin from a disciplinary standpoint the entire time he was here;
And mismanaged the Pearl NCAA hearings situation and let it get WAY out of hand.

So, I get the picture that he was a nice guy who loved UT but was also subject to getting manipulated by fast-talking self-centered coaches who, it turns out, also aren't that good at coaching (only Pearl turned out to be a good head coach).

Last edited:
The replacement of Delmonico with Raleigh was one of the biggest coaching downgrades in ncaa history. That's on Hamilton. One thing that still makes me mad is when UT handed Hamilton a million dollar parting gift when they owed him nothing.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back