our offense has potential to stump defenses

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
We know the talent we have at WR and I believe our running game will be good, possibly awesome by mid season. This could help give problems for opposing defenses. They can't ignore the playmakers at WR, but can't ignore lane and Hurd either. As long as we don't have a sunseri defense I think we get a couple of big upsets.

Reactions: 2 people
Two factors I could see jerking a knot into this thought. Offensive line play, and QB play. If we can be just decent in those categories then yes, I can see it

Reactions: 1 person
I have confidence that our O-line play and QB play will be good this year. We already have some good reports about the O-line coming around. Not much on the QB situation. I agree we will have a heck of an offense and hopefully an aggressive D

All that means nothing without an offensive line or QB. Ask the Minnesota Vikings if your looking for a good example. Patterson (VP), Jennings (North), and Peterson (Hurd) were worth 5 wins in a bad division. We had even better weapons two years ago and yet still the same results (albeit due to a historically bad defense). And who's to say our defense will be capable of complementing these so called offensive "weapons". There are so many unknowns I think any prediction greater than 6 wins is unwarranted optimism.

I think our QB play will develop slowly as we get into the season. The coaches appear to want to maintain an illusion of competition all the way up to opening day. What we end up with is 4 under-repped QBs, with no one really ready to go. I would rather see them give some one --anyone-- the ball and say it is his job to lose. Sure, competition is great, but so are repetition and timing.

Reactions: 1 person
Two factors I could see jerking a knot into this thought. Offensive line play, and QB play. If we can be just decent in those categories then yes, I can see it

The 2 main parts :unsure:we got to have a QB that can hit a 15 yard out and a OL that can open a hole to run threw, we got the other parts.

I think our QB play will develop slowly as we get into the season. The coaches appear to want to maintain an illusion of competition all the way up to opening day. What we end up with is 4 under-repped QBs, with no one really ready to go. I would rather see them give some one --anyone-- the ball and say it is his job to lose. Sure, competition is great, but so are repetition and timing.

I think they do want to give job to someone they just have to use the spring to find out who will take the job. Now I don't believe they should keep a 4 QB race. If they can work it down to a two man battle that would be great. As we all know QB's get hurt.

If out Dline develops over the next few weeks our D will be ok.

The 2 main parts :unsure:we got to have a QB that can hit a 15 yard out and a OL that can open a hole to run threw, we got the other parts.

I think we should be more worried about pass blocking than run blocking by all reports this line has the mean streak to push people around. They are the exact opposite from last years line

I think we are another year away. These play makers will be freshman or first year players. If we where in the big East maybe but every sec team has talent. We may be a little better but it will take time.

good/very good OL and QB play. Those are two huge questions for the Vols. I expect our QB play to be improved, but the OL could be a problem--and if the OL is a problem then your offense will sputter.

Until a QB can 1.) Throw the ball to Tennessee WR's and 2.) Sell/use the read option don't get your hopes up.

I holding onto the hope whoever the qb is will be good enough by mid season to get them the ball. Oline is the question I agree.

What if the OL is quite serviceable? What if it's at least a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10? That is what I am assuming it will be, until I have reason to believe otherwise. :question:

It all starts up front. The combination of Blair-Jackson-Crowder-(Insert Name)-C. Thomas could prove to be a very solid offensive line. If they can hold their own (In both run and pass blocking) we do have the POTENTIAL to be very lethal on offense. QB doesn't concern me as much as some other people, I'm confident Worley steps up and plays the best ball of his career this season. Obviously rb and wr go without saying.

it will be interesting to see what the O line does,I think they will be good,but not the same as last years line,the problem is going to be the D line,will they stump anybody is the question

We could not throw last year and we were able to run quite effectively. If we can throw a little bit then we should be able to run even better. Our defense should be improved compared to last year just because of greater team speed if nothing else...

Until a QB can 1.) Throw the ball to Tennessee WR's and 2.) Sell/use the read option don't get your hopes up.

Yeah... because we all know that it is easy to play QB in the SEC regardless of how good your WR's are. It doesn't matter if they run the wrong routes, can't get off coverage, run routes incorrectly, drop passes, make bad coverage reads, etc. The QB should be able to just "throw the ball to a Tennessee WR".

All 4 QB's have the ability to win in the SEC in Jones' system if the WR's do their jobs well. The missing component last fall wasn't OL, RB, or QB. It was a lack of consistent, reliable, productive receiver play. Fix that... and everyone will be "amazed" at how well UT's QB plays.

VN Store

Back