2nd Tier

25801VOL

V,B
Today Auburn showed why they play for championships bothering SEC and NCAA. Auburn made an aggressive move and have one of the best two coaches (if you looked at both of them together) in the nation coaching revenue producing sports.

Auburn isn't afraid of NCAA, and showed all of the SEC that the health of their athletics is critical to the success of their university.

Auburn and Tennessee have both had NCAA compliance issues, both fired football coaches (Tubberville/Fulmer) and had to rehire coaches after their initial coach was fired. Auburn has done a tremendous job, winning and playing for BCS while we struggle to break .500 (and haven't for 3 years).

This isn't a butch jones post. I believe in Butch and think he was/is the right man for the job. It's a overall operational question.

My point is WTF, why does my university choose to be 2nd tier?

Reactions: 7 people
the same reason Pearl decided to violate recruiting regulations and directly lie to the AD

sky-is-falling.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
You need some perspective.

Auburn got lucky they ever found Gus. He happened to come along with that train wreck of a coach Chizik (who was a loser at Iowa State for crying out loud) and Gus managed to organize a title run as an OC. He leaves, they fire Chizik and because of their close ties are able to wrangle him back.

In basketball that program has been a pile of rubble for years and they are now desperate enough to hire a coach with a show cause STILL IN EFFECT.

Reactions: 2 people
If there is an example of top tier basketball, I would definitely choose Auburn - are kidding me?

I don't really know or understand either, but It seems from everything I have learned over the last 4 years that Jimmy Cheek has a much bigger say-so than I ever thought he did. I had always heard so much about the "big time boosters", I am starting to believe that either they have different opinions about where we are in UT Athletics, or they don't really carry as much clout as we were led to think they do.

Reactions: 5 people
you need some perspective.

Auburn got lucky they ever found gus. He happened to come along with that train wreck of a coach chizik (who was a loser at iowa state for crying out loud) and gus managed to organize a title run as an oc. He leaves, they fire chizik and because of their close ties are able to wrangle him back.

In basketball that program has been a pile of rubble for years and they are now desperate enough to hire a coach with a show cause still in effect who will quickly turn the program around, compete for an sec title and will go dancing on an annual basis.

fyp.

I like Malzahn. I think he performed well with what he inherited. I like Jones. I think he performed poorly with what he inherited in his first season.

But the direct comparisons really do end there. Malzahn was part of the staff that built most of what he inherited. Jones inherited a mess created primarily by Fulmer and Kiffin then left uncorrected by Dooley. Malzahn was the OC at Auburn and didn't have to install a new system. Jones instituted a new system that is fairly complex.

Pearl was fired and there was no other option at the time. He did it... not mismanagement unless you think the AD should have been babysitting him.

If Auburn continues to play with fire and behave without class or ethics... then they WILL get busted and pay a significant price. I think I'd rather do it the right way. How about you?

Reactions: 3 people
I fail to see how this is germane to the forum topic of "Tennessee Vols FOOTBALL". Mods, please move.

Today Auburn showed why they play for championships bothering SEC and NCAA. Auburn made an aggressive move and have one of the best two coaches (if you looked at both of them together) in the nation coaching revenue producing sports.

Auburn isn't afraid of NCAA, and showed all of the SEC that the health of their athletics is critical to the success of their university.

Auburn and Tennessee have both had NCAA compliance issues, both fired football coaches (Tubberville/Fulmer) and had to rehire coaches after their initial coach was fired. Auburn has done a tremendous job, winning and playing for BCS while we struggle to break .500 (and haven't for 3 years).

This isn't a butch jones post. I believe in Butch and think he was/is the right man for the job. It's a overall operational question.

I guess when my University hires people such as Hammy and Pearl, an incompetent and a lier, we end up being less than what we want. One can not put this on Hart. It belongs on the shoulders of Hammy and Pearl. Hart will make the correct decisions when the time comes. He did a very nice job in hiring Coach Jones and He will do a good job in hiring a new basketball coach when one is needed. anyone with any intelligence would not fire a basketball coach who is averaging 20 wins a season. What coach would follow a coach with Martins record without feting that he would be fired if he did no better. Lets get off the high horse and show a little reasoning before we make fools of ourselves.

Reactions: 4 people
I like Malzahn. I think he performed well with what he inherited. I like Jones. I think he performed poorly with what he inherited in his first season.

But the direct comparisons really do end there. Malzahn was part of the staff that built most of what he inherited. Jones inherited a mess created primarily by Fulmer and Kiffin then left uncorrected by Dooley. Malzahn was the OC at Auburn and didn't have to install a new system. Jones instituted a new system that is fairly complex.

Pearl was fired and there was no other option at the time. He did it... not mismanagement unless you think the AD should have been babysitting him.

If Auburn continues to play with fire and behave without class or ethics... then they WILL get busted and pay a significant price. I think I'd rather do it the right way. How about you?

I really, REALLY wish I could believe the bolded line. I used to, but Auburn has shown me that with enough dedication, championships can be bought without reprieve.

This needs to be stickied to the top. Truly a remarkable job of describing my exact feelings about our program.

Bruce Pearl won't be at Auburn more than 5 years. Bruce is a winner, but that is not a school where a winning basketball coach wants to be.

However many years he's there is how many years they'll be a winner. History tells us that. I doubt he's there 5 yrs too but only because he goes on to greener pastures like you suggest.

VN Store

Back