Todd Kelly Jr. had surgery.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Didn't see this posted.

Tennessee safety signee Todd Kelly Jr. had surgery on his labrum recently. It's not known when he'll be able to workout at UT this summer.
---Hyams

Labrum is in the shoulder correct? Nothing on twitter.. you would think if he went through surgery he would have some well wishers etc?

Labrum is in the shoulder correct? Nothing on twitter.. you would think if he went through surgery he would have some well wishers etc?

Yes, that is correct.

Know a couple of people who have had the surgery, for someone his age, this is not difficult surgery.

Difficult? No. But if he had the procedure, he would almost certainly be out for the remainder of spring ball and limited through the summer.

The surgery is more significant for throwers (typically baseball players, but also QBs) in terms of how long the recovery process lasts; but there will still be a period of time in which the procedure would force a player out of contact due to risk of re-injury.

But back to your point, labrum (especially if not involving the rotator cuff) surgery is not especially difficult or worrisome for a football player of his age.

If true, will probably mean a redshirt year. If not true, there might be a redshirt year anyway. Therefore, no big deal.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, that is correct.

Difficult? No. But if he had the procedure, he would almost certainly be out for the remainder of spring ball and limited through the summer.

The surgery is more significant for throwers (typically baseball players, but also QBs) in terms of how long the recovery process lasts; but there will still be a period of time in which the procedure would force a player out of contact due to risk of re-injury.

But back to your point, labrum (especially if not involving the rotator cuff) surgery is not especially difficult or worrisome for a football player of his age.

Even if he had the surgery, he's not enrolling until summer so he should be good for fall practice. They might redshirt him and build him up anyway

If he had that surgery he's out for 6-9 months.... He Cld do fall practice in a green jersey.... Unlikely he's be ready for fall camp as full contact, but you never know.....

Labrum surgery is the worst one to recover from.

Know a couple of people who have had the surgery, for someone his age, this is not difficult surgery.

Not necessarily true. It can be. The rehab process just takes time to allow the repaired structures to heal properly, and you have to deal with restrictions in range of motion for some time, as well as with restrictions in strengthening.

He should recover well based on his pre-injury strength/stability of his shoulder, but, it could be worse depending on how bad the tear was. SLAP lesions (which is what I'm assuming he had because of the commonality of them) can take significant time to return from. If he comes back this year, I don't think he'd be cleared for full-go until at least mid-season, so I'd expect a medical red shirt for him just because of his talent level. He's too good to waste a half a season on the bench. JMO.

Last edited:
Considering the general tardiness of Jimmy's information, could this surgery have taken place during TKJ junior season? Maybe sophomore?

Reactions: 9 people
You would think, unless it was a recent injury, that he wouldn't have waited until now knowing that he has a chance to play/start this year. Hope this is just an error.
Isn't this what Jalen had done back in Sept.? He seemed to be back in the saddle pretty quickly.

You would think, unless it was a recent injury, that he wouldn't have waited until now knowing that he has a chance to play/start this year. Hope this is just an error.
Isn't this what Jalen had done back in Sept.? He seemed to be back in the saddle pretty quickly.

Very easy recovery from this surgery

Some here are saying that the labrum is in the shoulder. That's true but not complete. It can be the cartilage cushioning the joint of the shoulder and humerus. It can also be filling the same function in the hip. Soccer players and ballet dancers are most likely to tear theirs at the hip. That doesn't explain why I had to have surgery on mine at the hip.

Some here are saying that the labrum is in the shoulder. That's true but not complete. It can be the cartilage cushioning the joint of the shoulder and humerus. It can also be filling the same function in the hip. Soccer players and ballet dancers are most likely to tear theirs at the hip. That doesn't explain why I had to have surgery on mine at the hip.

Idk what you find humorous about this....

Reactions: 3 people
If he had that surgery he's out for 6-9 months.... He Cld do fall practice in a green jersey.... Unlikely he's be ready for fall camp as full contact, but you never know.....

Labrum surgery is the worst one to recover from.

I have to disagree with you on both bolded counts. For a thrower, the timetable to come back from a labral or SLAP tear is usually 6-9 months. I got a full release to play (baseball) games 8 months after full shoulder reconstruction (significant SLAP tears, torn rotator cuff, and a torn and displaced biceps tendon) - and that included being set back significantly by PEs in my lungs.

For a non-thrower, I would think the timetable is closer to 5-6 with certain limitations/restrictions and/or protective brace/sleeve.

As for being the worst to recover from, rotator cuff is much worse - definitely from the thrower's perspective, and I would think also from a non-thrower's perspective.

Even if he had the surgery, he's not enrolling until summer so he should be good for fall practice. They might redshirt him and build him up anyway

Not sure why I thought he was on campus - I'm blaming early morning meetings without sufficient coffee, haha.

VN Store

Back