Von Pearson comparable to Cordarrelle Patterson? Video

andymuffins

Specifically, in open field running.

I'm not suggesting that he is nor am I advocating it. I just wanted to open a thread and see what peoples thoughts are on it.

I saw it mentioned the other day and some people were stating it might not happen again in 15+ years.

However, I just saw this video for the first time and it is eerily similar to CP's before he got to UT.

This guy is amazingly shifty, breaks tackles and has a great first step.

Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/oxkzvZsNZwU[/youtube]

Reactions: 8 people
Specifically, in open field running.

I'm not suggesting that he is nor am I advocating it. I just wanted to open a thread and see what peoples thoughts are on it.

I saw it mentioned the other day and some people were stating it might not happen again in 15+ years.

However, I just saw this video for the first time and it is eerily similar to CP's before he got to UT.

This guy is amazingly shifty, breaks tackles and has a great first step.

Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/oxkzvZsNZwU[/youtube]

On the last play, VP's fellow receiver was completely uncovered in the middle of the field, VP was double-covered, and they still threw it to VP for a huge gain. lol

Reactions: 1 person
can we let some of these guys actually play an SEC game before we compare them to Tennessee greats??

CP wasn't here long enough to be considered Tennessee Great. He was really fun to watch though.

I still wish we'd had the chance to see CP, JH, and DR together.

Reactions: 17 people
CP wasn't here long enough to be considered Tennessee Great. He was really fun to watch though.

I agree and if we would have had a halfway decent defense to help out that year it would have been an amazing season

He has that same full speed one step cut that CP is famous for. I can't wait to see this guy on Saturdays in the fall.

Me too. I imagine Tyler Bray would have liked it as well.

Seems to be just as good in open field, but better hands than Patterson. Patterson dropped several balls in practice and games. I remember the TD he dropped right before halftime of the Florida game.

Reactions: 2 people
What the heck is Tennessee great? He was a once in a decade talent.

I don't want to speak for Volly but I mostly agree with her. He had some great plays especially in the open field. He was a great talent but we didn't really get a great season or career from him.

I think VP is better than people give him credit for.

He doesn't have elite speed like CP, but he's a more polished receiver. The dude catches anything thrown within 5 feet of him. Both have similar elusiveness, but I think CP is a bit quicker overall.

They're both special talents, and I'm excited to see what VP can do.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think so.. Pearson looks to be a talented receiver and I am as excited about him as anyone..... BUT CP was an oddity, a freak if you will. Pearson at 6'3" 185LB is very nimble and clearly can juke someone out of their shoes.. However CP was what 220LBS and able to run a sub 4.4 40? CP had 30+ LBS on Pearson and was simply able to do more with his feet. With that being said, I'm hoping that Pearson excels in other areas like route running.

I think VP is better than people give him credit for.

He doesn't have elite speed like CP, but he's a more polished receiver. The dude catches anything thrown within 5 feet of him. Both have similar elusiveness, but I think CP is a bit quicker overall.

They're both special talents, and I'm excited to see what VP can do.

Yep, CP is better after the catch but VP is better at going and getting the ball. Both of them are elite in their seperate strengths. I don't think I've ever seen anyone like CP with the ball in his hands and I have rarely seen anyone with the body control to go get the ball like VP does.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't want to speak for Volly but I mostly agree with her. He had some great plays especially in the open field. He was a great talent but we didn't really get a great season or career from him.

That's how I feel too. He was incredibly exciting to watch. But he could have done that anywhere for a year.

For me, personally, a Tennessee Great is a student who is here for a few years and leaves his mark as Tennessee Vol. CP wasn't here long enough to do that.

I still claim him as Tennessee Vol though. :)

I can see your point of view but I disagree for three reasons.

One, if you had an "all-madden" all tennessee team to pick and that you would not consider CP for one of your WR's or kick returners you are kidding yourself. He was a first rounder and will be successful for years to come.

Second, he might of been a one and done but he did choose our school in a very dark period for us. He was an elite talent included in a very small minority of our players all-time. There have been many greats come through our school in my time as I am in my 40's and not many if any surpass his open field ability. I have seen many come through in person for over thirty years and had class with some so I feel safe in my evaluation.

Third, our school has his name plastered all over the place in the locker room and training center so they obviously disagree. Recent people know his name well as do recruits and he is used as a selling tool for our University.

I can see your point of view but I disagree for three reasons.

One, if you had an "all-madden" all tennessee team to pick and that you would not consider CP for one of your WR's or kick returners you are kidding yourself. He was a first rounder and will be successful for years to come.

Second, he might of been a one and done but he did choose our school in a very dark period for us. He was an elite talent included in a very small minority of our players all-time. There have been many greats come through our school in my time as I am in my 40's and not many if any surpass his open field ability. I have seen many come through in person for over thirty years and had class with some so I feel safe in my evaluation.

Third, our school has his name plastered all over the place in the locker room and training center so they obviously disagree. Recent people know his name well as do recruits and he is used as a selling tool for our University.

It's cool. I'm not a football expert. Just a fan.

VN Store

Back