Coach Gillespie talks about Hurd & Lane

While I (we all) think Hurd can be something very special, it would be nice to see Lane become the type of back we all hoped he would be when he first signed with us. Good to hear that Lane has stepped up on and off the field. He had times last year that he looked like he should have been the starter, and then he would just kind of disappear. Would love for both of them to have 1000 yard seasons.

Reactions: 3 people
While I (we all) think Hurd can be something very special, it would be nice to see Lane become the type of back we all hoped he would be when he first signed with us. Good to hear that Lane has stepped up on and off the field. He had times last year that he looked like he should have been the starter, and then he would just kind of disappear. Would love for both of them to have 1000 yard seasons.

Lane can get some tough yards, but he is not a threat to take it to the house in the open field. He lacks that 2nd gear. Hope Hurd or Scott can supply that, because we haven't had that really since the short time Coker was here.

Reactions: 1 person
Not a real issue with it,but when people say "He's not going to come in and be Barry Sanders" I think neither was BARRY SANDERS...until his JUNIOR YEAR :yu:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 6 people
Lane can get some tough yards, but he is not a threat to take it to the house in the open field. He lacks that 2nd gear. Hope Hurd or Scott can supply that, because we haven't had that really since the short time Coker was here.

No, but he certainly can bash though a line when he needs to and get you the three to four yards for a first down in a 3rd and short situation.

I liken his style to the way Jerome Bettis would put his head down and power his way for yardage. There is no finesse or fancy footwork there, just pure smash mouth yardage.

Not a real issue with it,but when people say "He's not going to come in and be Barry Sanders" I think neither was BARRY SANDERS...until his JUNIOR YEAR :yu:

Wasn't Barry behind Thurmon Thomas?

Yeah, for like 5 games. Still disappointed to this day about Coker. That guy could have gone places with the right mindset.

Wasn't Barry behind Thurmon Thomas?

He twas...I'm sure Stillwater News-Free Press reporters ran a story in their teletype with a similar quote about Barry not being Thurman...he was already a return ace and explosive backup but nobody predicted BARRY SANDERS greatness.

:acute:

No, but he certainly can bash though a line when he needs to and get you the three to four yards for a first down in a 3rd and short situation.

I liken his style to the way Jerome Bettis would put his head down and power his way for yardage. There is no finesse or fancy footwork there, just pure smash mouth yardage.

Nope. The only players that was like The Bus, was Jim Taylor, the Packer great and John Riggins the Redskins bulldozer. Those guys were thick bodied chunks of muscle rumbling like 18Lbs bowling balls. Joe Frazier and Sonny Liston type builds, Jalen is more Muhammad Ali. Not to say Jalen can't put his head down and play bull of the woods. He's more like Eric Dickerson. But a tiny bit of me wonders if he also has Jim Brown mixture of power and speed. What our RB coach is teaching about balance when bouncing off people, if Jalen gets it, he will be Brown-like. This is what Brown's real strength was, his incredible balance even after being hit hard. Haven't see him, don't know anything yet, Scott might be more of a Gale Sayers type RB.

Reactions: 2 people
Nope. The only players that was like The Bus, was Jim Taylor, the Packer great and John Riggins the Redskins bulldozer. Those guys were thick bodied chunks of muscle rumbling like 18Lbs bowling balls. Joe Frazier and Sonny Liston type builds, Jalen is more Muhammad Ali. Not to say Jalen can't put his head down and play bull of the woods. He's more like Eric Dickerson. But a tiny bit of me wonders if he also has Jim Brown mixture of power and speed. What our RB coach is teaching about balance when bouncing off people, if Jalen gets it, he will be Brown-like. This is what Brown's real strength was, his incredible balance even after being hit hard. Haven't see him, don't know anything yet, Scott might be more of a Gale Sayers type RB.

I was actually referring to Lane lol

He twas...I'm sure Stillwater News-Free Press reporters ran a story in their teletype with a similar quote about Barry not being Thurman...he was already a return ace and explosive backup but nobody predicted BARRY SANDERS greatness.

:acute:
I just wish we had someone as good as Thomas on roster for Hurd to come in and challenge.

VN Store

Back