Vols searching for solidarity along O-line

kamoshika

But while replacing such a solid line won't be easy, the returning linemen believe there won't be that much of a drop-off heading into the 2014 season.

"That's what we have been looking for, for three years now," redshirt junior Kyler Kerbyson said after Tuesday's practice. "We thought we were just as good as those guys, and if you don't have that mindset, then you can't really go out there and perform like you want to."

Vols searching for solidarity along O-line | The Daily Beacon

I strongly believe that this O-line group will be a pleasant surprise. I think that after a few games they may even be better than last year's line, which was a huge disappointment

Reactions: 3 people
I strongly believe that this O-line group will be a pleasant surprise. I think that after a few games they may even be better than last year's line, which was a huge disappointment

This.
I was not that impressed with last year's "best line in college football". They underperformed big time imo. I think they got a lot of hype because they were all seniors but tiny, who was "nfl ready". I think this new line will be just as good as last year's.

You look at Butch Jones track record for Offensive linemen in the NFL, its pretty good for someone who coached at smaller schools. I believe our line with be just what it is this spring. Blair, Jackson, Crowder, Kerbyson, and Thomas. These guys where ranked #6 OT JC (2014), #4OG (2011), #7OC (2011), #24 OT (2011) and #11 OC (2014) by ESPN in their final rankings those years, so they aren't scrubs. I like that the Guards and Center have been in school 3 years and have some experience, and Blair has been playing JC. Thomas may be the best of the bunch when it is all said and done. He could be the next Eric Fisher for Butch Jones when it is all said and done. Really excited to see where this offensive line goes.

Reactions: 3 people
While I pleasantly surprised by them at times, we're still light years ahead of the days of the Sullins twins where we were throwing walk-ons into the fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Last year's OL was big and experienced, but they didn't get anywhere near their national media hype. They weren't overly aggressive/mean, they didn't appear to communicate well and pass off "games" from the defense and they didn't show up in the biggest games when we needed them to take over and impose their collective will on the defense so we could compete (Oregon, Auburn, Mizzou, Bama). Plus, we've now seen that they weren't particularly athletic given their press... outside of Tiny's benchpressing prowess, they collectively performed very poorly at the combine.

I actually think this OL has a good chance to be better as a unit by the end of the year if not sooner.

Reactions: 4 people
this o-line will have some false starts at critical times i think, but they will be way more physical than the ones from the last few years who were only pass blockers. just the way it is. i consider a good o-line one that has the team finishing with 2,500 rushing yards in a season or greater. In cup cake games we should have 250 yards rushing a game at minimum. We are Tennessee we should be a running power house, with the opition to annihilate opponetts thru the air if we like. with the talent we have we should be the best offense in the history of football in the next year or so. just the way it is.

Reactions: 1 person
I want a line that gets flags for the type of hits they make and not the false starts. To me false starts means they're scared of who is across them so they're jumping. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
I have been positive about the new OL for awhile. Just from reports and glimpses of their play, these guys are meaner than the last group. I'll take the guys with a tad less talent but a mean streak over more talented guys every time.

Reactions: 4 people
While this year's OL may not have the size of last year's, they have that nasty edge to them that was missing last year. I expect them to be really physical and finish their blocks. Initially, they was be better run blocking, and the pass blocking will improve as the season goes on. I think we will be really proud of this group. However, they need to stay healthy. OL depth is not where it needs to be, although Carr and Kendrick will contribute.

Edit: I'm not so sure that the "talent level" of this line is lower than last. I think it is just more of an experience issue.

Last edited:
If this Oline plays as nasty as Kerby is hyping them to be, Hurd and Lane have the potential to be the top RB's in the league.

I hate to be that guy, but don't expect this line to be better than last year's. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment. If there is a difference on offense this year it will be from improvements with other offensive positions and a more open playbook.

Man you guys are too hard on last year's line. Sure, they weren't the best line in college football but dang. Look at the stats. They did pretty well. Certainly they were a top 20 national unit. It's not their fault they had godly hype coming into the season.

Man you guys are too hard on last year's line. Sure, they weren't the best line in college football but dang. Look at the stats. They did pretty well. Certainly they were a top 20 national unit. It's not their fault they had godly hype coming into the season.

Top 20 should never have been good enough for a line with that much experience. Top 5 would have been a better goal for them, and I'm think they achieved that. I think the 2014 line should have top 20 as their goal. But your right, they might not achieve that.

Top 20 should never have been good enough for a line with that much experience. Top 5 would have been a better goal for them, and I'm think they achieved that. I think the 2014 line should have top 20 as their goal. But your right, they might not achieve that.

I only said top 20 because I feel like that number is above reproach. I'd say they were 3-8 range.

I'm not sure they were a top 5 OL in the SEC. We finished 10th in the league in rushing last year with 2 more than serviceable RBs. They did a nice job protecting our QBs by only allowing 15 sacks, but they were needed more in the running game to help shorten the game and maintain possession of the ball. They really just didn't reach expectations.

Last edited:
The trouble with Tennessee the last few years has been the defense since Wilcox left, not the O line. Last years unit (and the year before) was the bright spot on the team. Most rushing yards in over a decade I think. The QB play last year didn't help things much either. However you slice it, this years O line has a lot to live up to. Once again though, every player on this board is All-SEC in the offseason.

Redshirting Jackson was a strategic move. He was arguably better than Bullard. Coin flip. Most OL play the entire game so no reason to burn a year of eligibility.
-Crowder is a solid center and could have started last year.
-Weisman seems to have taken a step backwards.
-Thomas is either very talented or Sanders and Kendrick are not good. They don't seem to be making any noise. Neither were known for being nasty. As far as I know Simcox (walk-on) is ahead of them both. Better hope for no injuries.
I think Wolfe might redshirt and see how the training table works out.
And either Mosley or Robinson is O-line when they arrive in fall.

I tell you guys what. The fact that not one person on the team squatted 600 pounds last year is pathetic. That is huge part of the online and dine problem. They simply were not string enough. As talented as most were it's completely unacceptable. That's big reason Florida and Bama owned line of scrimmage for 4 years. U can only do so much with talent. The stronger man will win out when talent gap is close . This is why we all felt online was soft and no pass rush from defense. Previous regime makes me scratch my head. He grew up in the sec. Don't tell me he didn't know the formula to win. He was to stubborn wanted it his way. Great thing are coming when u manhandle folks on line scrimmage and she'd blocks. That goes for our db too

You really need size inside at the guard and center to deal with the massive DT 's in this league

You really need size inside at the guard and center to deal with the massive DT 's in this league

Size without strentgh is Dan McCullers.
You need players who understand leverage and who have large muscle strength. Bubba Miller wasn't a big guy, but man he was a great center and strong as a mule.

The big players on team 117focused on weight loss.
Keep in mind that the biggest focus of CBJ's training was shedding weight off the O-line, and not on power lifting. Trust me, when you are trying to cut weight and focusing on cardio, it is tough to build your large muscle mass.

UT teams, dating back to Stuckey, placed an emphasis on those power lifting moves so that Olinemen could get that initial push. The initial push is the most important part.

UT did not play particuarly fast last year for a hurry up offense. Butch knew he would lose all his O-linemen and they basically went on Jenny Craig. I could give two sh--s if our team runs to the other end of the field between quarters. I could care less how good they look in a swimsuit. I could care less how many plays they get off during a game. Winning at the LOS is ultimately what matters in the SEC. And that is why sexy teams like Oregon look totally different when they play Stanford. Madison is on it. Not having a stable of lineman who can squat 600 is a problem. I Just don't think you can blame all that on Dooley. When I look at the focus of conditioning for team 117, I didn't see it in that area. Maybe it is and they just didn't promote it well. All I heard about was weight loss.

I think the S&C program is headed in a better direction overall. However, i think they wasted their time with the seniors last year. They should have conceeded to slower play and focused on moving the LOS. Instead, you had a bunch of guys who would do well on the Biggest Loser, but couldn't win the battles at the LOS.

Last edited:
You guys who are so critical of last years OL forget that TN had a very strong running game last year. Best in a number of years. While I hope, and believe, this years OL will be better than some expect, I'm not going to belittle what happened last year.

You guys who are so critical of last years OL forget that TN had a very strong running game last year. Best in a number of years. While I hope, and believe, this years OL will be better than some expect, I'm not going to belittle what happened last year.

Look, overall we did post good rushing numbers, like you said, best in years. My biggest beef with the OL was, with the exception of maybe the Georgia game, we couldn't lean on/rely on the OL taking over a game via the running game vs the better teams on our schedule. When we needed to answer a score, slow the other team's momentum and just take control of the game via controlling the LOS and "running the ball down the other team's throat".... we couldn't do it..... ever. I just expected the best OL in the SEC, let alone the country, would be able to impose their will on the better defenses we played last year. They never really did.

Reactions: 2 people
Look, overall we did post good rushing numbers, like you said, best in years. My biggest beef with the OL was, with the exception of maybe the Georgia game, we couldn't lean on/rely on the OL taking over a game via the running game vs the better teams on our schedule. When we needed to answer a score, slow the other team's momentum and just take control of the game via controlling the LOS and "running the ball down the other team's throat".... we couldn't do it..... ever. I just expected the best OL in the SEC, let alone the country, would be able to impose their will on the better defenses we played last year. They never really did.

I don't disagree at all. They were a good solid line but no way were they the best in the country.
What was disturbing me was the way some want to praise this years potential by bashing last years performance. I'd take last years rushing numbers in 2014 and be delighted with that.

VN Store

Back