Originally Posted by HARTUPM
Darr was waste of a scholly IMHO thanks to Derek Doofus. Palardy proved early on that he could handle punting duties. And unfortunately Bowles will be another 4 star bust WR that will never sniff the field with the crazy talent we already have here and coming in at WR.
Let me ask you this. Would you offer a scholarship to this person?
1) Punting avg. as Junior: 46.3 yds
2) Punting avg. as Senior: 42.9 yds
3) Kickoffs: 35 of 60 for touchback
4) Place kicks as Senior: 35 PAT, 11 FG
5) Named to U.S. Army All America Bowl as punter
6) Named Max Preps All America 1st team punter
7) Led his team in tackles as LB
8) Named #1 punting prospect in the country by punting expert Chris Sailer
9) 2 time Florida state champion shot put
10) Won Florida state championship in discus throw as a junior
11) Due to his accomplishments on the field in football and track was named as a finalist for Max Preps National Athlete of the year.
That was Matt Darr. I would have offered him a scholarship. He has only averaged about 38.5 yds per punt at U.T. Maybe he will get back in the groove. His ball drop looks bad to me , and he doesn't get the nose of the football up. I believe that he has the leg, but his mechanics and confidence need work. He may yet blossom like Palardy did as a senior.
As far as Palardy proving early on that he could punt, he averaged 39.3 as a freshman, and 36.8 as a junior. It took him until the 3rd year. Darr hasn't been in that many games yet.