Thoughts on J. Stokes talking football..

devildog89

Know he would have good hands and leaping ability and size, not confident in the route running. Seen in the newspaper he ran like a 4.48 40. That's pretty impressive if true.

So are we talking tight end? I could also see him as a DE or linebacker. I doubt he plays though. Most people say he has a future in the NBA.

Yeah tight end. Paper said he might go late second round if any which is why he's considering coming back.??

Know he would have good hands and leaping ability and size, not confident in the route running. Seen in the newspaper he ran like a 4.48 40. That's pretty impressive if true.

I saw that too but there is no way he ran a 4.48.

Love his optimism....but kid would never get any meaningful snaps. Simply too much of a transition from bball to SEC football.

Love his optimism....but kid would never get any meaningful snaps. Simply too much of a transition from bball to SEC football.

Respectfully disagree… Antonio Gates made the transition from mid-major hoops to the NFL pretty well… Basketball players can transition pretty well to football, much easier than the reverse in my coaching experiences...

Reactions: 3 people
Say he runs a 4.6 40 at 6 ft 8 and 275 lbs....even if only would know two routes as a TE he would be hard to cover....may make more money as a TE than he would in the NBA IF he can catch the ball and run upfield....I am assuming he could learn to block....

Reactions: 2 people
Say he runs a 4.6 40 at 6 ft 8 and 275 lbs....even if only would know two routes as a TE he would be hard to cover....may make more money as a TE than he would in the NBA IF he can catch the ball and run upfield....I am assuming he could learn to block....
I'd disagree, in the NFL if you're a low-drafted player you aren't even guarenteed a contract. If Stokes went over to Europe or got drafted in the NBA, he'd have a better chance to make a definite salary. Plus he would have a longer career in the NBA than he would in the NFL.

It is the trend in the NFL to take former post players and play them at tight end. I would bet his 40 time is more like 4.84

If he's actually going to play football, he needs to be at DE.

DL depth chart is brutal.

If he's actually going to play football, he needs to be at DE.

DL depth chart is brutal.

Teaching DE technique would be much tougher than TE route running & blocking.

And the DL depth chart should be fine... young, but fine come this fall. Last year's line had a lot of upperclassmen, but that didn't translate into production.

Reactions: 1 person
Teaching DE technique would be much tougher than TE route running & blocking.

And the DL depth chart should be fine... young, but fine come this fall. Last year's line had a lot of upperclassmen, but that didn't translate into production.

I get that, but Stokes wouldn't play at TE. Wolf and Helm have the same amount of experience (none) and seem to be impressing everyone.

We need all the athleticism we can get on DL. Having a guy that's ready, physically, would help too.

I'd disagree, in the NFL if you're a low-drafted player you aren't even guarenteed a contract. If Stokes went over to Europe or got drafted in the NBA, he'd have a better chance to make a definite salary. Plus he would have a longer career in the NBA than he would in the NFL.

You are assuming a lot about an NBA career....he is playing as a 4 spot and sometimes a 5....he will have to play as a 3-4 player in the NBA...that in itself does not make for a long career. Playing in Europe does not equal better than NFL dollars if that is all that he plays. He is definitely a tweener as far as the NBA is concerned....would have prototypical size and skillset for a TE in the NFL without any experience.

He may never play in the NBA and that is really a short career....:lolabove:

Like Richard Howard- looks like a beast with pads. Possibility of getting hurt would be an issue.

Am i the only one that thinks his only future in American sports is football.The days of a Paul Silas type player are pretty much gone.He has turned it up a notch this year but still no outside shot and lets face it hes not a jumping jack

Thoughts? Go work on your midrange jump shot in preparation for the NBA draft/ European leagues.

I get that, but Stokes wouldn't play at TE. Wolf and Helm have the same amount of experience (none) and seem to be impressing everyone.

We need all the athleticism we can get on DL. Having a guy that's ready, physically, would help too.
Says who? Didn't know you were involved in making personnel decisions for the team. He would be a dominant TE. Nobody on this team has his combination of size and athleticism. Kid is a phenom, and he'd be hell on wheels at TE.

Reactions: 1 person
He doesn't look fast at all so I don't know how he would do in the football program. I don't think is game translates to the NBA so that doesn't surprise me that he's not making the NBA a priority. Also shows that he's not considering coming back to the basketball program for his senior year. Not surprising.

Some of the best TEs in the league played Bball in college. Melvin Goins made the switch a few years back... If he did it, I see no reason why Stokes can't. However, if I was Stokes, I would focus solely on Bball.

Some of the best TEs in the league played Bball in college. Melvin Goins made the switch a few years back... If he did it, I see no reason why Stokes can't. However, if I was Stokes, I would focus solely on Bball.
Just because a basketball player makes the switch to football, doesn't mean he would be successful. Goins and Asumnu wasn't successful, the odds are against any player making the switch. People like to bring up the few players that made a career in football after playing basketball, besides all the ones who didn't make it.

Says who? Didn't know you were involved in making personnel decisions for the team. He would be a dominant TE. Nobody on this team has his combination of size and athleticism. Kid is a phenom, and he'd be hell on wheels at TE.

Lol, talk about contradicting.

Who says he'd be a dominant TE? I didn't know you were paid to judge how well a player would transition from basketball to football.

VN Store

Back