Are UNC and UVA the perfect schools for expansion?

SpiritOfNeyland

We have the flagship university for just about every school in the Southeast.

University of Tennessee
University of Georgia
University of South Carolina
University of Florida
University of Alabama
University of Mississippi

Since the University of Louisiana is a non-factor in football, doesn't really matter that we have LSU---regardless, we have the premier flagship university in every state in the Southeast.

Except---the University of Virginia and the University of North Carolina.

I think big picture, these two programs add more than meets the eye. These are two of the top universities in the world....not the United States...not just the Southeast.

It would be a very valuable addition to the quality of our academic profile as a conference to add two schools like Virginia and North Carolina, and they would be schools we all could aspire to be in the SEC academically speaking.(not private like Vandy) Just good ole' fashion state schools that are top in the country.

The B1G is coming a knocking, and they want UVA and UNC.

Reactions: 2 people
The issue for UNC is going to be whether or not they can bring Duke along. I think that could be a deal breaker for any potential suitor.

As for UVA, I think they'd move if the offer is right, but I think they'd prefer the Big 10. But that's a total guess on my part.

Reactions: 1 person
We have the flagship university for just about every school in the Southeast.

University of Tennessee
University of Georgia
University of South Carolina
University of Florida
University of Alabama
University of Mississippi

Since the University of Louisiana is a non-factor in football, doesn't really matter that we have LSU---regardless, we have the premier flagship university in every state in the Southeast.

Except---the University of Virginia and the University of North Carolina.

I think big picture, these two programs add more than meets the eye. These are two of the top universities in the world....not the United States...not just the Southeast.

It would be a very valuable addition to the quality of our academic profile as a conference to add two schools like Virginia and North Carolina, and they would be schools we all could aspire to be in the SEC academically speaking.(not private like Vandy) Just good ole' fashion state schools that are top in the country.

The B1G is coming a knocking, and they want UVA and UNC.

I like it. Always played them on ye olde playstation.

The issue for UNC is going to be whether or not they can bring Duke along. I think that could be a deal breaker for any potential suitor.

As for UVA, I think they'd move if the offer is right, but I think they'd prefer the Big 10. But that's a total guess on my part.

Raleigh controls the ACC and the NC schools like it that way. But that does mean we could still a non NC team pretty easy, because they all feel left out due to that.

Any move is going to be about football, first and foremost. Duke simply isn't valuable from a football point of view.

Well if it is about football then look at Duke's record last year. You can make the argument that the history isnt there but the same could be said about UNC. Plus Duke has a great coach.

I think we should let Memphis and Tennessee Chattanooga in and make sure they are on our schedule every year.

Reactions: 6 people
Well if it is about football then look at Duke's record last year. You can make the argument that the history isnt there but the same could be said about UNC. Plus Duke has a great coach.

It has nothing to do with record or success. It's about who's watching. No one is watching Duke football.

Any move is going to be about football, first and foremost. Duke simply isn't valuable from a football point of view.

That's the problem. It shouldn't be JUST about football.

Why do you think the B1G fans are so all about getting UVA and UNC?

If the B1G is successful in attracting these two schools, it would be a complete lost opportunity.

This isn't just a football conference, and we need to be able to view it through the TOTAL picture.

Some of you may be just college football fans, but I am an alumnus from the University of Tennessee and I have a Masters from another SEC school. I want what is best for the Southeast, our football, our sports, our academics. It's a much broader picture than: "THEM THAR MOUNTAINEERS R GUD AT FOOTBAWRL! LET"S GIT THEM"

If the B1G is successful in attracting these two schools, it would be a complete lost opportunity.

This isn't just a football conference, and we need to be able to view it through the TOTAL picture.

Some of you may be just college football fans, but I am an alumnus from the University of Tennessee and I have a Masters from another SEC school. I want what is best for the Southeast, our football, our sports, our academics. It's a much broader picture than: "THEM THAR MOUNTAINEERS R GUD AT FOOTBAWRL! LET"S GIT THEM"

This is where you're complelty wrong. Realignment is 100% about football because no other sport brings in the cash like football does.

I get what you're saying. But football is driving the Brink's truck. Media contracts are heavily weighted to purchase football broadcast rights. I'm not saying that a team with solid basketball wouldn't be a huge plus, but there is no way that any of the major conferences would take a program like Duke by themselves.

And I'm right there with you on UNC and UVA. They should be the SEC's #1 priorities. And according to folks I've talked to in Birmingham, they are.

Reactions: 3 people
I get what you're saying. But football is driving the Brink's truck. Media contracts are heavily weighted to purchase football broadcast rights. I'm not saying that a team with solid basketball wouldn't be a huge plus, but there is no way that any of the major conferences would take a program like Duke by themselves.

And I'm right there with you on UNC and UVA. They should be the SEC's #1 priorities. And according to folks I've talked to in Birmingham, they are.

There is NO chance UVa leaves.

1) they cant go with out Va Tech

2)They will never lower themselves academically

UVA would be the one that would not. Their history and tie in is as long as the NC 4.

VT was the team the SEC should have gotten.

Money>history. But I wouldn't want them. I'd prefer Va Tech or Maryland.

There is NO chance UVa leaves.

1) they cant go with out Va Tech

2)They will never lower themselves academically

1) Not true.

2) A significantly overrated issue when discussing these realignment talks.

I am of the belief that UVA would prefer the Big 10, and I think that preference will be reciprocated if (when) the times comes. But if the ACC starts to look shaky, UVA would't hesitate to join the SEC if that's offer is out there.

VN Store

Back