Current salaries of the coaches released for 2014

With all the talent that he's recruited for us, there's no reason Thig shouldn't get a raise.

Reactions: 3 people
Pretty good bonus for five wins ,and no bowl game. I'll say there's a good buzz on the hill so it's probably deserved. And I know the money will grow with more wins . Keep working hard and the payday will come.

I hope he gets a raise too. I would love for them all to hit the maximum bonus potential asap!

Whomever structured these contracts is clueless about "incenting" the right behaviors. So....you get $19,000 for the SEC champion ship game and your salary is $475,000? That is less than 5%.......less than 5%!!!

Having structured plans such as this which paid in the millions, I am completely shocked that their total compensation is so "salary heavy". Mistake. You always put a carrot out there to improve performance.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder why Roger Frazier is getting a cut in pay???? Hopefully that's a typo -- dude has been with the program a very long time!

Whomever structured these contracts is clueless about "incenting" the right behaviors. So....you get $19,000 for the SEC champion ship game and your salary is $475,000? That is less than 5%.......less than 5%!!!

Having structured plans such as this which paid in the millions, I am completely shocked that their total compensation is so "salary heavy". Mistake. You always put a carrot out there to improve performance.

Don't think these coaches can work any harder

Man I wish I knew football like those guys. The guy getting paid the least of the bunch is making less than half as much as the OC, and is still making over twice as much as I do!! :crazy:

I wonder why Roger Frazier is getting a cut in pay???? Hopefully that's a typo -- dude has been with the program a very long time!

Agreed. I was a neighbor and friends with his kids growing up. He's been the equipment manager as long as I've known football.

You have good business sense, but I think you miss the evaluation in coaching. Coaches do not work harder to get to a championship game for the payout. If they don't perform, they get fired. It's that simple. The bonus is exactly what it is, a bonus.

Reactions: 1 person
You have good business sense, but I think you miss the evaluation in coaching. Coaches do not work harder to get to a championship game for the payout. If they don't perform, they get fired. It's that simple. The bonus is exactly what it is, a bonus.

I'd hate to bring up our old buddy Phil, but he could of used a fat carrot to keep him motivated. He was able to be complacent for 10 years.

I'd hate to bring up our old buddy Phil, but he could of used a fat carrot to keep him motivated. He was able to be complacent for 10 years.

And even more for the five years after the firing...Hamilton Buyout 101 :ermm:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Jones taking care of business. From Rivals today:

One more thing not to miss: Jones and Hart have had discussions regarding all of the assistant coaches' contracts, and those items will be formally ironed out in the coming weeks. However, multiple sources tell VolQuest.com that linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen, widely seen as the single greatest catalyst other than Jones in this year's landmark recruiting class and Rivals.com's Recruiter of the Year, has received a raise and a new deal. Sources have said all along that the Vols "had a plan in place" to retain Thigpen, popular with his current players as well as recruits, even as schools like Ohio State and North Carolina came calling.

Reactions: 3 people

One more thing not to miss: Jones and Hart have had discussions regarding all of the assistant coaches' contracts, and those items will be formally ironed out in the coming weeks. However, multiple sources tell VolQuest.com that linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen, widely seen as the single greatest catalyst other than Jones in this year's landmark recruiting class and Rivals.com's Recruiter of the Year, has received a raise and a new deal. Sources have said all along that the Vols "had a plan in place" to retain Thigpen, popular with his current players as well as recruits, even as schools like Ohio State and North Carolina came calling.

Well, this is damn fine news!

Reactions: 2 people
Give Thig a major raise and/or a big bonus. No. 1 recruiter in the nation this year! Keep the man happy, and pay him what he's worth as a recruiter and coach. Better do it soon, too!

Then why have it? If its not designed to be some type of reward, incentive, etc. why have it? Putting pay at risk for performance's sake isn't new. It's 40+ years old.

"If they don't perform, they get fired". Precisely my point - and their buyout is based on their salary which happens to occupy too much of the total compensation IMHO. No, whats happened here is that agents have gotten too much of a say-so and E$PN is paying what they're paying.....result? An overpaid, underachieving coaching industry.

Do I think UT coaches are working hard on recruiting? Yes, but that is 1/5 of the job.

Hell yea. This structure is nuts. How does a liberty bowl appearance warrant twice the bonus of an SEC/BCS championship? wtf?

Bump the SEC/Title bonus to $100K/$200K for assistants, $250K/$500K for CBJ. Lower the regular bowl bonus significantly...

:good!:

VN Store

Back