two interesting walk-ons on the spring roster

kamoshika

RB Chris Beck (6-0, 200) is a juco transfer who rushed for 485 yards on 95 carries in 10 games for Dean College (MA) in his 2 years there. As a senior at South Cobb HS in Austell, GA, Beck rushed for 1,622 yards & 14 TDs on 216 carries. He has good speed as evidenced by his 10.93 100m time in high school.

LB Colton Jumper (6-2, 220) is a true freshman from Chattanooga who signed with the Naval Academy coming out of Baylor, but a kidney ailment scuttled that opportunity. He recorded an electronically timed 4.51 40 prior to his senior year.

Jumper has strong football bloodlines: his grandfather started at Georgia Tech, his great uncle was an offensive guard at Tennessee and his uncle played at Vanderbilt.

Colton Jumper heading to The Hun | timesfreepress.com

Colton Jumper, Baylor Linebacker | 2 Times All State Linebacker Tennessee

Reactions: 6 people
Jumper another legacy. If the 4.5 in the 40 at 230 pound is legit, he could be a contributor. I remember the Jumper family from Chattanooga and they had a lot of HS stars and college players in their clan.

These are some good walk-on additions. Taking about upgrading our special teams. Will be good speed to have.

Reactions: 2 people
As a Baylor alum from way back, I am especially happy to see Jumper going to be in orange - and all the talent we are getting.

Reactions: 1 person
Jumper is a very good prospect. I didn't pay attention to his recruitment but watched many Baylor games that he made his name known in.

Walk-ons like this can be very good for the program overall. At the least they can provide practice depth, for example they could be quality members of the scout team giving accurate looks in prep for an opponent. Or, they could provide legit depth at their position. Then there is a chance they can provide some minutes in the games.

RB Chris Beck (6-0, 200) is a juco transfer who rushed for 485 yards on 95 carries in 10 games for Dean College (MA) in his 2 years there. As a senior at South Cobb HS in Austell, GA, Beck rushed for 1,622 yards & 14 TDs on 216 carries. He has good speed as evidenced by his 10.93 100m time in high school.

LB Colton Jumper (6-2, 220) is a true freshman from Chattanooga who signed with the Naval Academy coming out of Baylor, but a kidney ailment scuttled that opportunity. He recorded an electronically timed 4.51 40 prior to his senior year.

Jumper has strong football bloodlines: his grandfather started at Georgia Tech, his great uncle was an offensive guard at Tennessee and his uncle played at Vanderbilt.

Colton Jumper heading to The Hun | timesfreepress.com

Colton Jumper, Baylor Linebacker | 2 Times All State Linebacker Tennessee

Tom Jumper played on the1951 National Championship team. Tom owned Jumper a car dealer in the Atlanta area and my youngest son bought his first car from Tom. Tom is the great uncle who played at Tennessee.

Last edited:
becks 10.93 is a 4.37 40 avg over 100 yds, that's really impressive for a 200 lb walk on. Good info OP
That's 100M.

And you can't just divide his time by 2.5 and it have any meaning, given the time it takes an athlete to get to top speed.

Baylor is my alma mater as well. A young man with that size, if his speed is anywhere near a 4.5 will play in the SEC. A lot of kids are just bigger and/or faster than the rest of the kids that they are playing in HS. Jumper appears to be so successful because of his technique.

If he really has that kind of speed, I would bet that he eventually gets some serious PT. The kidney thing could hinder him, but if it doesn't then I would bet that he will have as much fight as anyone. Great get IMO, Go Red Raiders!

VN Store

Back