Buying out of the Oklahoma game

Should TN buyout of the OU game?

• Total voters

BigSteve09

Moran
Is it time for us to start thinking about letting this series go? Utah State and Ark State are no cupcakes, so we need all the for sure Ws we can get.

I remember being upset when we backed out of the UNC series, but we can't keep putting ourselves in these gauntlet games. These kinds of games against top-tier programs are only beneficial for boosting our strength of schedule if we were worth a damn and making a run at a title or BCS game. We can't keep lining up against superior talent and expecting to come away with a .500 or better season.

By the way, I know that I'm not the first person to propose this idea. A few people were talking about buying out of Oregon before 2013, and I've seen people talk about buying out of OU too. I just figured it was time for us to explore some options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
you going to write a check?

I get that, but we stand to lose more money in the long run by finishing with another 5 win season and missing another bowl, or getting Butch fired again.

In my mind, buying out of the OU series is an investment that will end up working out for us.

Reactions: 4 people
I get that, but we stand to lose more money in the long run by finishing with another 5 win season and missing another bowl, or getting Butch fired again.

In my mind, buying out of the OU series is an investment that will end up working out for us.

Bowls don't really make a school too much money. How much do we lose by replacing their game in Neyland with a cupcake?

Reactions: 8 people
Bowls don't really make a school too much money. How much do we lose by replacing their game in Neyland with a cupcake?

I'm talking more along the lines of publicity and positive turn around from the public seeing Tennessee finally making strides to return to relevance.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it time for us to start thinking about letting this series go? Utah State and Ark State are no cupcakes, so we need all the for sure Ws we can get.

I remember being upset when we backed out of the UNC series, but we can't keep putting ourselves in these gauntlet games. These kinds of games against top-tier programs are only beneficial for boosting our strength of schedule if we were worth a damn and making a run at a title or BCS game. We can't keep lining up against superior talent and expecting to come away with a .500 or better season.

By the way, I know that I'm not the first person to propose this idea. A few people were talking about buying out of Oregon before 2013, and I've seen people talk about buying out of OU too. I just figured it was time for us to explore some options.

Heck yes tell the recruits we are scared to play out of conference games, that's the way to get them here tell them we are chicken chit.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 7 people
I'm talking more along the lines of publicity and positive turn around from the public seeing Tennessee finally making strides to return to relevance.

Maybe its just me but losing to Oklahoma is not much better than beating Tenn Tech. Especially when nobody sees the later. From a publicity stand point.

Reactions: 2 people
100,000 tickets alone make a lot of money. Let alone the concession sales
You think 100k of those tickets sell versus some directional college.

I do think we need to cool it on the OOC schedule but I don't like the idea of basically surrendering because odds are tough.

You think 100k of those tickets sell versus some directional college.

I do think we need to cool it on the OOC schedule but I don't like the idea of basically surrendering because odds are tough.

They "announce" 100K+ all the time

As of right now, 2014 is looking like more of the same, with us fighting for a 6th win in late November. If we replace OU with a cupcake, we're likely looking at some positive momentum going into conference play, and 4 or 5 winnable games, with us just having to win one big game to get into a bowl. If we finish with 7 or 8 wins, all the more better.

Nobody would hold it against any other program if they bought out of this series in this position. ESPN and OU might give us crap about it for a season or two, but we'll eventually earn our respect when we're back in the spotlight again. And we could get back there quicker with an improved season next year.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back