2763 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Funny Spurrier Quotes. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,668
Likes: 520
Funny Spurrier Quotes

When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

Insulted Florida State University as Free Shoes University (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes).

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"

in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying; "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as Ray Goof;

Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"

When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said; "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama"; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s)

Responded to a question of;Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?; at a South Carolina alumni meeting with ; "The same way Vanderbilt did."

Last edited by WA_Vol; 10-25-2006 at 06:25 PM..
WA_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
VN GURU
 
hvwarrior58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 11,156
Likes: 0
Steve is a funny guy.
hvwarrior58 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jaytrain5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,145
Likes: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklavol View Post
In honor of the SC game, here are a few Spurrier jabs:When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, Ray Goff still the head coach there?Insulted Florida State University as "Free Shoes University" (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes) . Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee ("You can't spell Citrus without UT") and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning ("I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"), in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!" Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as "Ray Goof". Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said, "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama."; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s) Responded to a question of "Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?"
Call him quotable, witty, clever, or whatever you want to call him. I think he's classless.

Give me an example of another top-level coach who has to resort to that kind of commentary about other schools, players, and coaches. There's no question that his success against other SEC schools is outstanding - he's an outstanding coach. His wisea$$ comments are unneccassary though.
Jaytrain5 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hatvol96's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 49,929
Likes: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytrain5 View Post
Call him quotable, witty, clever, or whatever you want to call him. I think he's classless.

Give me an example of another top-level coach who has to resort to that kind of commentary about other schools, players, and coaches. There's no question that his success against other SEC schools is outstanding - he's an outstanding coach. His wisea$$ comments are unneccassary though.
He doesn't have to resort to those barbs, he does it for fun. I enjoy it immensely.
hatvol96 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
VN GURU
 
tvolsfan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,398
Likes: 1,369
I like Peyton, but the citrus bowl MVP thing was funny.
__________________

tvolsfan is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,668
Likes: 520
It sure would be nice to be able to edit posts of pasted information by adding blank lines

Last edited by WA_Vol; 10-24-2006 at 06:09 PM..
WA_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
VN GURU
 
hvwarrior58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 11,156
Likes: 0
Yeah, he is very enjoyable, very entertaining. Anyone crying about his comments need to pull their panties out of a wad.
hvwarrior58 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lovely Jennifer Tilly
 
tonyvolsfan05's Avatar

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 20
quote

Spurrier personally promised a Redskins-beat-Dallas game ball when he was hired after last season. "I just told him I'm sorry," Spurrier said. "We're just not good enough to beat 'em right now."
__________________


tonyvolsfan05 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,668
Likes: 520
f
WA_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jaytrain5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,145
Likes: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvwarrior58 View Post
Yeah, he is very enjoyable, very entertaining. Anyone crying about his comments need to pull their panties out of a wad.
I don't know if anyone is crying about his comments. It's certainly not an emotional topic for me, anyway. I just prefer a coach with a little more humility.

I think the wisea$$ approach is stale. If he were our coach, I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't complain about his ability to produce championship quality teams - again, I think he's a helluva coach...I just think he lacks tact from time to time.

I will say, however, that I prefer Spurrier's routine to John L. Smith's self-slapping in press conferences.
Jaytrain5 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Valid Victorian
 
HawaiiVol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 8,198
Likes: 5
When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question,
Quote:
is Ray Goff still the head coach there?
Insulted Florida State University as
Quote:
Free Shoes University
(after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes) .

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee
Quote:
You can't spell Citrus without UT
and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning,
Quote:
I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP
in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC.

Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying
Quote:
But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!
Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as
Quote:
Ray Goof
Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying
Quote:
How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?
When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said,
Quote:
In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama.
But then he immediately added the punch:
Quote:
Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.
in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s.

Responded to a question of
Quote:
Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?
at a South Carolina alumni meeting with
Quote:
The same way Vanderbilt did.
Cleaned up the OP.

Last edited by HawaiiVol; 10-24-2006 at 06:20 PM..
HawaiiVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Its not what you think...
 
Volunteer_Kirby's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,498
Likes: 14,513
That was some funny stuff.

A pain for my eyes, though.
Volunteer_Kirby is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Its not what you think...
 
Volunteer_Kirby's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,498
Likes: 14,513
Doh, didn't see that, Hawaii.

*slowly walks away from thread*
Volunteer_Kirby is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,668
Likes: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiVol View Post
Cleaned up the OP.
Thanks. Cant seem to be able to edit my posts anymore. All the icons are disabled.
WA_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tidwell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 22,963
Likes: 0
I can't stand him, but that's funny stuff. I loathe him, I guess.
__________________
<img style=" border="0" />
tidwell is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27